• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mapping graphics to form without a texture.

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I map a graphic to a form leaving only the graphic and no texture on the form?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

yes but that means you have no texture since texture is a material effect and you don't want the material to show at all

example;

Screenshot (1990).png

I made this by place a decal on the flat disc (included with Dimension) then I pushed the translucency 100%... at this point I can only use the default [blank material] because Dimension doesn't have true transparency I now have to trick the rendor

I would make my own mdl but an easy option is to send the material "image" (in this example it should be a blank white squar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can enlarge graphic size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how enlarging the size will solve my question.  I would like to map my graphics onto a sphere but only leave the graphics and not the sphere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• first turn down the graphic opacity until you can 'see' the material under it, about 20% is a good starting point
  • then click the material and turn up its translucency to around 50%... adjust as needed but be aware that full rendor will be needed to really 'see' the image and what you get in ui is only a preview

example

Screenshot (1962).pngScreenshot (1963).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for you response and diagrams.  Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Joseph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to take the texture of the form to 0% and leave the graphics on top at 100% but when I make the sphere with 0% the graphics are also taken away.  I just want to see the graphics floating over an invisible shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes but that means you have no texture since texture is a material effect and you don't want the material to show at all

example;

Screenshot (1990).png

I made this by place a decal on the flat disc (included with Dimension) then I pushed the translucency 100%... at this point I can only use the default [blank material] because Dimension doesn't have true transparency I now have to trick the rendor

I would make my own mdl but an easy option is to send the material "image" (in this example it should be a blank white square because we didn't add any materials) to Photoshop... I add a new blank 'transparent" layer and delete the first layer and save

Screenshot (1987).png

note this doesn't remove any default Dimension materials and is only a temp fix

also note you can't have a 100% + textures... to see the textures at least some of the base material must be showing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: this work around is no longer an option with the current build of Dimension because the way it reads maps and even the size of them has changed

Good news = it is still possible to create this effect ; example file

Bad news = you have to use an opacity map which is a pain because they have auto scale | tile effects which can't be turned off from within the ui so it takes time to line your maps up with the decal image

Screenshot (596).png

Screenshot (597).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you create an opacity map? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In slow talk an opacity map is a two colours image where white is 'show' & black is ' hide'... I like to use Photoshop but almost any drawing software can make them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines