Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Adobe Background Processes

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear users, 

We have seen numerous posts regarding the Adobe processes that run in the background. Queries like what do these processes mean, how much CPU speed do they need or are they important to run the Creative Cloud desktop app or not, have always been one of our frequently asked questions.

Our team has created a self-explanatory document for the same. This doc aims at answering all the above questions. 

Here is the link for the article: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/adobe-background-processes.html

Hope this is helpful! 

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions about this. 

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 199 Replies 199
Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open task manager then in background processes you will find node.js or something closer to that name.  then end that task, and everything will be okay

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is something to worry about, as nodejs has a lot of security flaws, that you inherited by CreativeCloud running not just one, but two instances of this webserver on your computer.

I defunct both of them, replacing the node.exe with some dummy file that has nothing in it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did a fresh install on my mbp 15" and installed my adobe applications.

And I have to say Adobe feels more and more like some freaking maleware.

I just use PS, LR and PR and this is how it looks?

I mean serious?

What are all of these things?

So my question again, what are all of these things and why are there 7 or more processes running in the background all the time,

even when Im not using any freaking adobe product?!

I would be seriously happy if some one could give me an answer?

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 11.13.25.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donka,

As I understand that you are worried about so many Adobe processes running at the backend, however, these are various Adobe services required to run at the backend. For example services like coresync is required to run the sync services.

Let us know if you need any more information.

Thanks

Kanika

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I understand that, but Im not running any adobe software, not even the creative cloud..

So what I don't still is why are there so many processes in the background, when not even using ANY software from adobe?

Apart from that the adobe software is just a total mess when it comes to placement and packages, its freaking everywhere on the computer, as it wouldn't be enough with the Programs folder getting full from just having 3 softwares installed, the utilities as well..

And when searching installed apps, well you can see for your self on the screen shot above.

Im really interested why.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you are not using the Adobe processes, please see the link and close the processes:

Close conflicting processes or applications interfering with Adobe Creative Cloud app update or inst...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe makes poor software. I'm a lighroom user and i dont need/use photoshop. 
so for using one adobe software(lightroom) there are like 20-30 processes which keep running in the background even when you arent using it. I dont see that happening with any other software. imo startups make better software than this stupid giant

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post has not been answered, and should be unmarked as answered.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an answer to the question. Please respond to why any Adobe process is running when no Adobe product is opened and running.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they're robots and don't really want to help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well that was not what I asked about.. I know how to terminate the processes, it's just that when I don't use any Adobe products, why is it like 5 processes in the background? It's intrusive.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed - possible to get another response?

I too want to know WHY adobe runs 5 other process in the background even if you are not using any adobe product.

I understand Core Sync must run, BUT like many other apps, it runs when you OPEN the program and turns off when you quit.

The crux of this question is why, when we turn on our machines, never touch an adobe application, does adobe run many process regardless of whether an adobe application is being used?

It is frustrating because it eats up our memory for no apparent reason (since we are NOT using an adobe app at the moment) and it requires us to then go into control and manually force quit all these needless adobe processes. Needless because we are not using an adobe application, I understand they must run if we are using adobe software.

Please respond.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, even when sync is turned off, CoreSync still runs. I use a program called Auto Kill Any Program and I have it set up to kill any Adobe processes other than the regular apps like PS or AI instantly whenever they run. My products work perfectly well, so no. These background processes are not necessary. They also do not auto terminate upon quitting all Adobe software. Even if I disable a certain functionality like checking for updates, the updater still runs at startup. Even if I disable it from running at startup from the task manager, you still figure out a way to run it. Adobe is right up there with McAfee as far as Malware status goes. No wonder you try to bundle their malware with yours.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is disturbing too, a finishless list of startup items makes any powerful system to take a lot of time starting up, although I have disabled the option to startup on windows logon, the system must load this giant list of items on every startup:

Adobe Startup.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly this post has not been answered!

Please Adobe, you no doubt are aware of exactly what we are referring to and choose to ignore it.  I have been a faithful Adobe user for over twenty years.  I am now considering how to go without. 

This needs fixed!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tired of this creeping bloatware phenomenon. Just budgeted to explore options to replace all Adobe software in our enterprise due to the current state of things. User complaints, system performance hits, etc. hasn't improved in a very long time. Thought there would be more effort to streamline/optimize CC.

Adobe: Give us more options of opting out of this bloatware or we're gone before you know it. Like other posters in this thread, I too am a decades long customer who is unhappy with the sloppy/creepy(?) behavior. I don't need or want you "managing my configurations".

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it really surprise you? MS is doing the same thing. I know these posts are from 2017, and I wonder if the sloppy automated creep is still happening in Adobe world..

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like to know!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that and second thousand that. Adobe, don't ignore this!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need answers, Adobe.  About to stop paying for your products after 20+  years as well.  This is seriously troubling.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me and my friend are both having the same problem. FIX YOUR PROGRAMS ADOBE!!!! Or your will loose customers. My laptop is so slow since updating and it takes me hours to get my work done. I have to go to Activity Monitor to kill some of the processes.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

smellycat , unnown93947244 , dougburnett , smtwtfsyy , denniso81006966 ,

Please file a bug report. If everybody does that, Adobe feels the heat: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. I hope they listen, but I have my doubts.

Is anyone else having trouble 'safely ejecting hardware' after closing? I want to eject my external hard drives, and I have to completely shut down my machine to do so. It is so frustrating!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sometimes get the "cannot [move or delete a folder] because a file or folder is open" message -- when I have nothing anywhere open --and have tracked it down to Adobe Acrobat more than once.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assumed you'd opened one with this post. But I must have assumed incorrectly, my apologies.

Abambo  wrote

smellycat  , unnown93947244  , dougburnett  , smtwtfsyy  , denniso81006966  ,

Please file a bug report. If everybody does that, Adobe feels the heat: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Good to know about Affinity. Hopefully it picks up some momentum.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines