• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe CC contracts are terrible!

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have resisted for years signing up for the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription because I intensely dislike the subscription model for software. However, I was all ready yesterday to sign up for the Photography subscription and then happened upon this in the terms:

Should you cancel after 14 days, you'll be charged 50% of your remaining contract obligation and your service will continue until the end of that month's billing period.

In other words, even though I selected a monthly payment, I am forced to sign a contract for a year that would penalize me if I cancelled my subscription whenever I wanted to. That was the last straw for me. I never clicked on the Agree button and immediately deleted the CC software from my computer.

I have been an Adobe customer since Photoshop 1.0. I will still continue to use Photoshop CS6 as long as I'm able to, but after that I will no longer be an Adobe customer. I've already replaced the other Adobe applications I was using with other softwares that are more affordable and don't come with ridiculous contracts that force you into paying a ransom to stop using it.

It's bad enough that Adobe has forced this unpopular subscription model on all its customers, but then to force us into a contract that's worse than a phone or cable company is shortsighted. At least phone and cable companies provide a discount if you sign up for a yearly contract, Adobe does no such thing but still expects you to pay a hefty penalty if you cancel.

I know I'm just one customer that Adobe can easily replace with a new one and they could care less. If Adobe comes to its senses before the end of life for Photoshop CS6 and ends this borderline scammy yearly contract, I may reconsider. Otherwise, this longtime Adobe customer is gone for good.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

There is difference between a monthly subscription, and an annual subscription with monthly payments

The same as a monthly apartment rental is not the same as an annual lease with monthly payments

SOME programs are available Monthly instead of Annual https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1926342

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is difference between a monthly subscription, and an annual subscription with monthly payments

The same as a monthly apartment rental is not the same as an annual lease with monthly payments

SOME programs are available Monthly instead of Annual https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1926342

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there's a difference, it doesn't matter, the cancellation fee is shady and ridiculous. That page you linked to says this:

Adobe offers a lower price to users who commit membership for a full year at a time

That is untrue. In the case of the Photography subscription, the yearly price ($119.88) is exactly the same as paying $9.99 each month. So there is no discount or benefit to pay for the whole year. But even if you opt to pay monthly, you're unknowingly signing up for a year-long contract. And that's not clear or obvious unless you read all the fine print, which thankfully I did. I imagine a lot of people get fooled into thinking because they chose a monthly payment, they have a month-to-month plan and can cancel at any time.

Adobe loses nothing if someone decides to cancel their subscription 6 months later. They've been paid for the time they used the service, yet Adobe still thinks it's okay to slap on cancellation penalty fees for ending the service even when paying monthly. It's unethical, sneaky and unwarranted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case of the Photography subscription, the yearly price ($119.88) is exactly the same as paying $9.99 each month. So there is no discount or benefit to pay for the whole year. But even if you opt to pay monthly, you're unknowingly signing up for a year-long contract.

I'm trying to understand how you are getting the impression that you are signing up unknowingly for a whole year.

The Photography Plan has only two options:

• Annual Plan, paid monthly
  • Annual Plan, prepaid

There's no month to month option for the Photography Plan. You're asked to commit for 12 months, or pay a cancellation fee for early termination.

All other Plans have three options:

• Annual Plan, paid monthly
  • Annual Plan, prepaid
  • Monthly plan

The options seem clear to me. How else would you word it?

That page you linked to says this:

Adobe offers a lower price to users who commit membership for a full year at a time

That is untrue.

You are comparing the Annual plan, paid monthly to the Annual plan, prepaid. No advantage there. True.

However, that FAQ is comparing the Monthly Plan (month-to-month) to the Annual Plan. Definitely lower per month to go annual. Does not apply to the Photography Plan since there's no Monthly plan available.

You can maintain your argument that the plans are misleading but, to me, they are worded correctly but have to be read carefully.

For what it's worth, I do think that Adobe is its own worst enemy in not making the cancellation fee clearer. That just breeds rage and mistrust with those who are stung by it. It should be loud and clear on the main Cloud plans page so no-one can say they did not know about it, not hidden in the terms and conditions. Big difference if you scream about it before signing up. At least then you can choose not to join in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is...MONTHLY PAYMENTS SHOULD BE POSSIBLE ......AND CANCELLING THEM ANY TIME TOO!!!

CREATING DEPENDENCY IS WHAT MONSANTO DOES TOO!

SO DO MANY OTHER BIG COMPANIES!

In the end...I feel that this strategy is going to crush all creativity and people will turn elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hadewychv56653515  wrote

The thing is...MONTHLY PAYMENTS SHOULD BE POSSIBLE ......

Well, it is possible... So what's the issue.

You can buy annual plans prepaid or annual plans paid by the moth or monthly plans paid by the month.

hadewychv56653515  wrote

AND CANCELLING THEM ANY TIME TOO!!!

And that's also possible. If, however, you took the obligation for an annual plan paid by the month and you what to leave that contract, Adobe asks for a small compensation. That's standard practise and that's what I have also with different other contracts.

hadewychv56653515  wrote

In the end...I feel that this strategy is going to crush all creativity and people will turn elsewhere.

It doesn't look like, but you are free to have your opinion on this.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the menu, it says monthly - for a year. There isn't another more flexible option; 3 months , 6 months.

I want to buy the software , install it and that's it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hadewychv56653515  wrote

In the menu, it says monthly - for a year. There isn't another more flexible option; 3 months , 6 months.

I want to buy the software , install it and that's it!

OK, you really want all options. But that does not work like that. The next one will ask subscription for 3 weeks...

If you need 3 months take a by the month subscription (not the annual one) and cancel the third month. The same for 6 months. Be good enough and do your maths to know at which moment the annual subscription paid by the month is more economical. (Just to say: I didn't have the calculations until now...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was fooled by this and ended up paying 80€ to break my shackles.  Not going back to use LR and (sadly) PS ever again.

Their current cloud-centric approach is an assault on user's privacy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe’s subscription model has always caused controversy amongst designers – if you use more than one app in your job (which you almost certainly will), you’ll find yourself paying at least £603 per year to use the Creative Cloud package. If you don’t fancy paying it all at once, monthly instalments start at around £50/month (if you sign up for an annual contract).

Thanks-

[Link removed by moderator] & Increase Your Social Media Presence Over Night

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JaimeFagan  wrote

Adobe’s subscription model has always caused controversy amongst designers – if you use more than one app in your job (which you almost certainly will), you’ll find yourself paying at least £603 per year to use the Creative Cloud package.

Effectively 2 applications are cheaper by using single apps. Starting with the third application, it may be cheaper to take the all apps plan, which gives you access to ​all apps​. Several combinations could give you different options, however.

Don't forget that at the time with perpetual licenses the license was not cheap at all. We've spend around 15.000€ to acquire 3 licenses of Creative suite (because we use more than 3 apps, the suites were cheaper than the single apps).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am 100% in agreement. It is a shame for Adobe to use sleazy techniques to force customers into annual contracts and hefty penalties. I would never use them, ever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really irritated with adobe right now. I have used photoshop since 2013 and i paid more than 200€ for a serial number only to find out that this year, if i want to update my imac my photoshop doesnt work!!! I am OBLIGATED to buy a subscription to use the new IOS system. I use it occasionally and frankly its really not worth the investment  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in a few words, i have to pay and i basically lost the money ive spent ... unless i de-upgrade, wow. Its sooooooo sneaky of adobe towards its clients, not even an email to warn you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You don't get to use discontinued, unsupported software forever unless you NEVER upgrade your computer. 

2. If you don't plan to cancel the first year, there's no problem with an annual plan.  It costs less per month and your price is guaranteed not to go up for the 12 month contract.  Whereas month-to-month plans cost more and are subject to rate increases.  For example, Photoshop only:  $31.49/month but you can cancel anytime.

3. If you can't derive $10/month of value from the Photography Plan bundle for one year, then don't buy it.

Use something else instead.

• Adobe Photoshop Elements. Commercial.
  • GIMP. Free.
  • IrfanView. Free.
  • Apple Photo. Free.
  • Skylum Luminar. Commercial.
  • Inkscape. Free.
  • Figma. Freemium.
  • Canva. Freemium.
  • Sketch. Commercial.
  • CorelDRAW Graphics Suite. Commercial.
  • Affinity Designer. Commercial.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, "3. If you can't derive $10/month of value from the Photography Plan bundle for one year, then don't buy it."

Helpful post certainly, however condescending and a little insulting? 

Do you think its convenient to buy something i rarly use?

its a bad investment for a program i use maybe 10 times a year. Not a question of affordable or not- its a matter of principle. I bought photoshop. I have a serial number- and suddenly the new version of photoshop doesnt accept seril numbers , what a coincidence just in time for a swifty annual/monthly fee. 

i prefer to use my money on something useful for myself. For instance, i have plenty of bills to pay. Certainly adobe will not be one of them . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Serena VDH 

No, not the least bit condescending or insulting.  Value is a relative term.  Nobody can determine value except you.  It's as simple as that. 

"I have a serial number- and suddenly the new version of photoshop doesntt accept serial numbers."

Now who is being insulting?  Photoshop CC has NEVER accepted serial numbers and especially not from a discontinued, unsupported product that is no longer sold.  If you want new software, you must pay for it. 

If you want to keep using old software, that's fine too. But you need an older device that can support it AND you must never upgrade your system again.   Creative Suite 4, 5 & 6 can still be activated on older devices.  But they will not work on Catalina or BigSur.

Goodbye & good luck!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot a lot of pool, Billards. I had a friend ask me what I thought his cue was worth. I said I don't know. He then said what would I pay for it. I said Nothing, I don't Like it.

If the Adobe Photography plan isn't worh the $10 US it cost to you Don't Buy it. There are other programs out there.

If you want to stay with the version of Ps you already have Do NOT Upgrade your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>if i want to update my imac my photoshop doesnt work

You are complaining in the wrong place... Adobe did nothing to make your program stop working, that is all on Apple for not maintaining backward compatibility when issuing a new operating system

>sneaky of adobe towards its clients, not even an email to warn you

Why should any software company warn you about Apple's practice of not maintaining backward compatibility?

You bought a program at a certain time for a certain operating system... it is not Adobe's fault that YOU made a change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great point, @John T Smith. Photoshop CS6 came out in back in 2012. CS6 was built with 32-bit components, which was standard at the time.

Apple discontinued all support for 32-bit software on macOS with Catalina in 2019, so that CS6 will no longer run. That's certainly not Adobe's fault or doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines