• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Application Manager updated to Creative Cloud?

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did Adobe Application Manager update to a launch button for Creative Cloud? I don't have Creative Cloud. I typically run updates as I see the alerts come in, and just ran this update to find app. manager was replaced with a launch button to CC. I have no idea why this is on my desktop now. Should I be deleting this application? I have CS6 installed and thought I would need application manager for any updates to my software. If anyone can advise me, that would be great. This whole thing seems very weird to me.

Thanks,

Kim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

My apologies I have not had the available time to test out running the uninstaller personally but from other reports it should work.  If you remove the Creative Cloud using the Programs and Features control panel you can then reinstall the Adobe Application Manager from our download page at https://www.adobe.com/downloads/?promoid=KAWQL.  The links to the Adobe Application Manager for both Windows and Mac OS can be found in the bottom right hand corner of the page.

Update 7/3 Please download the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kimmy9999 there is an uninstaller available.  To provide proper directions though which operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Windows 7 - 64 bit.

TIA,

KIm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you can locate the installer in the Programs & Features control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. I was aware of how to uninstall the program. It was really a question of why the update had removed Application Manager and added a link in it's place to sign up for Creative Cloud.

In light of the ongoing issue I have with not being able to work offline and having to log in my serial number every day it was yet another annoyance that came up. I guess when I see an update I still hold out hope of resolving that problem.

I know you are here to offer solutions and not answer for the deficiencies of the company - I appreciate that.

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Application Manager is one of the component utilized the the Creative Cloud application.  A new version of AAM was installed as part of the Creative Cloud application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

If you are saying that everyone now needs to log into the Creative Cloud to receive updates to their perpetual license products (via this new application), then it should have been made clearer to non-members such as myself. I thought it was a link to sign up for the monthly program.

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Kimmy9999 I am not stating that at all.  Perhaps we need to take a step back.  Are you a Creative Cloud subscriber or do you have a perpetual license for Creative Suite 6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Perpetual license for CS6, not a Cloud Subscriber. That was why I was confused by the new desktop icon "link" to log in to CC.

I did uninstall that new application.

I then opened Photoshop and had it check for updates to see if I still could. It seemed to work fine, found a couple of updates for Fireworks and ACR and ran those just fine. So whatever I deleted had no impact on updating, however I do not see Adobe Application Manager anywhere on my computer now.

When there is an update I like to see what it is before I run it, and usually Adobe offers that info before you proceed (checkboxes). The update in question did not, it just removed AAM (or at least the desktop icon - and I cannot find AAM at all now) and added the CC link. I hope that makes sense why I was confused.

In any case, it seems I am still able to update successfully.

Thanks,

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kim AAM should still be located in the the /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager folder.  In your most recent posts though you have indicated the proper workflow to check for updates.  This is by going to the application and selecting Help>Updates.  This launches the update module of AAM and allows the updates available for your installed applications to be located.  The fact that this worked would seem to indicate that your current installation is correct and able to receive updates.

It is likely that you launched the Adobe Application Manager manually which prompted you to download and install the Creative Cloud app.  This functionality is primarily designed for subscribers as opposed to perpetual users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw this on my system as well (Win 7 x64). App Manager posts a message claiming there is an update available. Open App Manger and it proceeds to show an "Updating..." message. The update fails. App Manager is no longer in the Control Panel and there is no shortcut on the desktop. Running updates from within Adobe apps brings up App Manager OK. Running PDapp.exe manually initiates the updating message again -- and this time it completes. Now there is a "Creative Cloud" shortcut on the Desktop and in "Add Remove Programs" (I am a perpetual license user like Kim and don't have anything to do with Creative Cloud).

Jeff, the update seems to be a bit off (several posts here support this). If we are perpetual license users, can we remove "Creative Cloud" from our systems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revv let me test this and get back to you.  I have put this down as a to do item to respond to this thread with the results.  It should be possible but I do want to verify that the Adobe Application Manager is not removed if you do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,  I too was caught by suprise by the application manager being switched to the creative cloud without any warning or options.  I don't subscribe to nor plan to use the cloud for various reasons.  I deleted the cloud shortcut from the desktop, and, as a perpetual license user would like to remove the "cloud" if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies I have not had the available time to test out running the uninstaller personally but from other reports it should work.  If you remove the Creative Cloud using the Programs and Features control panel you can then reinstall the Adobe Application Manager from our download page at https://www.adobe.com/downloads/?promoid=KAWQL.  The links to the Adobe Application Manager for both Windows and Mac OS can be found in the bottom right hand corner of the page.

Update 7/3 Please download the Creative Cloud application from https://creative.adobe.com/products/creative-cloud

Message was edited by: Jeff A Wright

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I uninstalled CC, downloaded the ApplicationManager7.0_all.exe from the link you provided above (please note the CSS for the download pages is not working properly) and ran the install.

The installer said "Updating Application Manager" then when the green bar gets the far right side, it just closes. I finally found the ApplicationManager.exe which was placed in my downloads folder for some reason, and when clicing on it, I get an error that states:

Adobe Creative Cloud is needed to resolve this problem. However, it is missing or damaged. Please download and install a new copy of Adobe Creative Cloud from 'http://www.adobe.com/go.creativecloudapp'

So I still cannot install the software that I have purchased a liscense for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AverageJoe77 if you are still facing difficulties then please uninstall Adobe Creative software and run the CS Cleaner Tool.  You can find details on the use of the CS Cleaner Tool at CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did work.

The script gave me the option to remove only the Application Manager, so there was no need to uninstall ALL of my CS6 software, just the CC Desktop that was installed initially.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AverageJoe77 it sounds like you were successful with the uninstall process.  Are you still unable to install the Creative Cloud application from http://www.adobe.com/go.creativecloudapp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that sometime in the past few weeks (months?) Adobe has updated the Application Manager so that when you launch it directly, or via a shortcut, it automatically tries to launch Creative Cloud instead of launching itself.

In Windows, the Application Manager application itself is located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\PDapp.exe

Double-clicking this file used to run itself, the Application Manager.  Now, double clicking this file makes it try to run the Creative Cloud app instead.  If you don't have Creative Cloud installed, you get an error that Creative Cloud is missing and needs to be installed.

The same is true for clicking on the shortcut, Start Menu>All Programs>Adobe Application Manager.  This is a shortcut to the above file.  It used to run the Application Manager.  Now it tries to run Creative Cloud.

The only way I have found to run the Application Manager itself now, is to open one of the Adobe applications, such as Photoshop, and then go to the Help menu and choose "Updates..."    This will run the actual Adobe Application Manager.  

If you open the Windows Task Manager while the Adobe Application Manager is running, select the Adobe Application Manager under the Applications tab, right click and select Go To Process, then right click on the process and choose Open FIle Location, you can see that the file that is running is still:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\PDapp.exe

This means that:

1.  when you run the file directly, it tries to run Creative Cloud

2.  when an Adobe application such as Photoshop runs the file, it runs itself (the Application Manager)

There must be a command switch (or flag) being set by the Adobe applications when they run this file, telling it to run itself rather than launch Creative Cloud.   I wish I knew what that switch was. If I did, I'd make a custom shortcut with the switch in it and replace my existing shortcut for Adobe Application Manager with the custom one.

In the mean time, I have avoided installing Creative Cloud (since I don't need it) and I am avoiding using the shortcuts (since they make it try to run Cloud).  When I want to check for updates, I launch Photoshop and launch the Application Manager from in there instead, for now.

I hope either Adobe fixes this or someone posts the command switch info so I can make a shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'fredlewis' has outlined the problem exactly and provided every detail you need.

This is a major issue. Why was he not given a reply? and why is this issue not being addressed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surfer300zx it appears that FredLewis is providing feedback that they wish to use and access the Adobe Application Manager help module directly.  The feedback is appreciated.

The current strategy is that updates will continue to be incorporated within the Creative Cloud desktop application.  These are still utilizing the Adobe Application Managers update module but you will be controling the checking and applying for updates from with the Creative Cloud Desktop application.  This allows you to have one location to check and manage your applications, files, fonts, Behance profile updates, and software updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The shortcut points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\PDapp.exe" --appletID=CCM_UI --appletVersion=1.0 --workflow=CCM_workflow_launch

If you replace both instances of CCM with UWA and then try the shortcut you should find it will open the Application Manager as it used to do.  I.e. it should become

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\PDapp.exe" --appletID=UWA_UI --appletVersion=1.0 --workflow=UWA_workflow_launch

I've really don't understand why no-one from Adobe provided this information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I am running a perpetual license to CS6 at work. My boss refuses to update to Cloud.

I went to install InDesign from the AAM by dbl clikcing the icon on my Win7 Desktop, and it opened, then closed, then updated. Now I have Creative Cloud, and I cannot install anything anymore, only try out the CC version of the apps and install the Edge apps.

Seems to me this is not right, as we paid for a perpetual license through download... We should not be "automagically" updated to cloud.

My boss is out of the country on vaca, but if this is not fixed before she comes back, she is gonna flip out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines