• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can anyone tell me if you can back save from CS6 to CS5 Illustrator, Indesign and Photoshop OK?

May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me if you can back save from CS6 to CS5 Illustrator, Indesign and Photoshop OK? Want to upgrade to CS6 but must I must still remain compatible with work. They are using CS5.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Hi ,

The back saving of the files is not required for all the file extension like JPG , PSD, HTML etc these are the universal file format ,

however if you are talking about the native file format like INDD for Indesign ,and AI for Illustrator then yes you can back save the file from CS6 for CS5 ,the procedure will vary .

Indesign :- Save the file as IDML and this IDMl file will be compatible with the Indesign CS4

Illustrator ;- File -->Save , in the " Save As" dialog box choose the version to which

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any process that is new for CS6 will not work for CS5, any work created in Illustrator CS5 should work for CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand you're saying that new features in CS6 would not work in CS5, but the question really is can you save backward to CS5 if you are working in CS6? Some of my clients are still working in CS5 or even CS4. If the client does not have the latest version of the software, you can't give it back to them in CS6.

In CS5, I can save backward to CS4. And in CS4, I can save backward to CS3, but I'm not going to take for granted that in CS6 I can save backward to CS5, so the question remains unanswered....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

The back saving of the files is not required for all the file extension like JPG , PSD, HTML etc these are the universal file format ,

however if you are talking about the native file format like INDD for Indesign ,and AI for Illustrator then yes you can back save the file from CS6 for CS5 ,the procedure will vary .

Indesign :- Save the file as IDML and this IDMl file will be compatible with the Indesign CS4

Illustrator ;- File -->Save , in the " Save As" dialog box choose the version to which you want to downgrade.

So , it more dependent on the file format ,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, yes, I was not clear in my response -- I was speaking in terms of InDesign and Illustratior files, not the more universal file types. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify your answer for Illustrator.  The option is not in the "Save As" dialog box.

The correct answer is

Open you CS6 Illustrator file.

File>Save As 

The Save As dialog box opens

Type your file name (DIFFERENT THAN ORIGINAL PLEASE!) and the Save as Type is still going to be Adobe Illustrator (*.AI)   **This is where the above instructions threw me, as the Save as type drop down does not list anything about versions to save fo)

Click Save

Once you click Save, the Illustrator Options dialog box will come up.  The first option is titled Version and has a drop down menu.  Select the version of illustrator you want to save your file as here, then click ok.

Your done.

I strongly suggest you give this file a different name than your original CS6 Illustrator version as you may lose some parts of your design in the conversion.

Hope this helps.  Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid that backward compatibility is not always true (Specifically talking about illustrator CS6). I have som files created with CS6 that have elements with soft shadows done with dropshadow effect, and are translated to an embeded bitmap image in CS5. In some other cases, (when not using a soft edge shadow, but a hard shadow), the element is translated as 2 separate vectors for each color.

So I guess you have to be careful when doing this, and always keep a copy of your original CS5 or CS4 file... I still keep a copy of AI CS5 for those cases where backward saving is not going to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you want to save a photoshop cs6 file to photoshop cs5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PalaciosDesign - Please post your question in the Photoshop forum here http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general. They will be able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines