• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Application Installation Directory

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pretty small SSD and would like to install some of the applications to another drive. It seems that Creative Cloud's Application Manager does not have this option? Where can I choose WHERE the software gets installed to?

TOPICS
CC FAQ , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

You can change the install location from the preferences of the Adobe Application Manager.

To clarify, you can click on your Name displayed inside the top left corner of the Adobe Application Manager, and then from the drop down, you'll be able to choose preferences and then mention the install location.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind! I found it!

fixed.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me again, this didn't work (not for me at least). So I googled how to change the default installation directory in general for Windows, and changed that path in regedit. After restarting my PC it finally installed in drive D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please explain what you mean by that? ("changed that path in regedit") I have no space on my C drive and really really need to install apps to my D drive but I can't figure out how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx man that's f*cking help me

From France.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved it for me. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I only have a small SSD, so I needed to be able to do this. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. My SSD is running out of space.

Come on Adobe. Do you have any Quality Assuarance guys?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny that this thread was started over four years ago, and I'm having the same problems for the same reasons. Adobe, get off my ssd. I have a spindle set aside for you, use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of same issue - I would like to change the location of the creative cloud folder on my HD, I've ran out of space on my mac and any work I do in the office now won't sync with my home mac as theres not enough space. Can I change the location of the creative cloud folder to an external hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not let us have the option where to install in the first place? This could've been avoided so very easily and its making me furious that I have trouble installing when I have a smaller OS partition on my laptop. Why did you do thiiis? It's still ignoring the change in preferences, 4 years later. Great job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it keeps saying unable to install to a removable disk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "App Manager" is not "fully-smart" yet. Look...

The "App Manager" must to consult the paths of the installed Apps INTO the "REGISTY OF THE SYSTEM", too! --> No matter where it is located (Windows, OS X, etc).

♦ For example:

Problemâ–º An App insists in take place on a inapropiate location, EVEN IF you SET it on the "App Manager Panel" correctly.

Solution(Win)â–º To get my way, then I proceeded:

A) I moved the entire application to the folder I wanted;

B) I used a program to detect inconsistencies in the System Registry -- Prefered: CClenaer;

C) Each inconsistent entry refers to the OLD DELETED LOCATION and CAN BE EDITED by right click on each -- So, it conduce you to the proximity of the intent, i.e., Where exist "C:\nnnnn\mmmm\ooooo" you place the NEW LOCATION (where you move).

Note:

1) Adresses, where quotation marks exist, it must remain with quotation marks;

2) Commonly you will fins 3 entry -- BUT, must have 1 MORE, that must be THE PURE OLD LOCATION, like: "C:\nnnnn\mmmm\ooooo\" - NOTE de "\" at final;

Resuming: Will be 4 modifications to do after "the hard move" -- Reboot the System, before to run. All works!

• Cons: The "App Manager" will NEVER find YOUR MOVED APP!! -- It will appear as if it did not exist, however, the system is functioning properly.-- Even because it must to consult the paths of the installed Apps INTO the "REGISTY OF THE SYSTEM" - too!

It just was 1 case. Some actions involving "ApplicationInfo.xml" file and its "<installPath>[PROGRAMFILES]\Adobe\..." can works, too.

Regards,

Artur Sá Menezes

------------------------------------------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it says 'cant install to root path'  if i changed the location

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you have to point it to a Folder in the Root path of that drive. You would type in D:\ (Or other Drive letter on Windows) (Or Drive Name you want to install to on a Mac along with a Forward slash /) then Adobe. Or if on Window it would be DriveLetter:\Program Files\Adobe. You might have to actually manually create the folder "Program Files" and the subfolder Adobe under Program Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You can change the install location of Creative Cloud after installing Creative Cloud"!?? WTH, who set this as answered!?

Ridiculous that I'm having to do tech support BEFORE INSTALLING on something I've ALREADY paid for. @Adobe, crap like this will determine if I pay for future months.

UPDATE: Workaround found using command line junctions: This should be done before installing, and make a folder named Adobe on the drive you want the Creative Cloud to actually be installed on. For instance, the drive I have space on is D. So I made a folder D:\Adobe

If you already have CC installed, you'll have to uninstall it before doing these steps.

On Windows, hit the Start button and type "command".

In the search list, RIGHT Click "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as Administrator".

Type mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" G:\Adobe

Run the Adobe Creative Cloud installer.

Details: The Complete Guide to Creating Symbolic Links (aka Symlinks) on Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you got this installation dialogue:

There's no option anywhere to change the installation location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well setting install location via Preferences>Creative Cloud app does work but the stupid thing is that it installs Lightroom first THEN allows you to access the CC app. So .. install LR > open CC > uninstall LR > set new install path > re-install LR then PS ...

POOR design and logic! (assuming I didn't miss something .. which i didn't)

This dumbing down of everything computer and insulating the user from the core started with MS after XP with Adobe riding shotgun for years now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bought Creative Cloud and already have to mess with SHIT that is YEARS OLD.

I can't believe Adobe doesn't find the attitude to address costumer friendly program design from the very beginning before dumping files onto the costumers hardware!

This is just upsetting to the fullest!

This question is NOT ANSWERED!

EDIT: Currently Adobe manages to create files in these folders:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent hours downloading and trying to make something work, I changed the drive to D:\ as in the screenshots, but it won't allow me to download one of the apps because it says I don't have enough space on disk, which is true, except for that it's... the C:\ drive. I'm sick of having my C drive filled with garbage. Now I have to uninstall this indian software. The question is from 2012... such a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, this is the third time I try to install this low quality bloatware.

-You don't say how much space is required before installing something, nor which software requires what, nor what is going where on the disk.

-I spent 5 hours downloading Adobe CC, using my bandwidth not being able to do anything else, reached 50%, then it said something like "there is not enough space to extract the installation files". The solution is simple, just re-download everything for the 4th time. After the installation failed, my computer got very slow, I have my C:\ drive almost full again, the installation garbage is there on a remote corner of my C:\ drive, the installer is gone after having left its poop on my hd, and I have to look for it and delete it manually.

So, basically:

-I can't choose the download location on my disk

-I can't choose the install location on my disk

-I don't know the size of the installer I'm downloading

-You don't check the disk space requirements before starting the installation

Edit: Well this goes beyond anything... I just tried to uninstall Adobe CC, and after 15 minutes of waiting a window pops up saying "Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop cannot be uninstalled because it's busy. Please wait and try again". The funny thing is that I don't see any Adobe process running in the background, apart from the so-called uninstaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody here knows how to install any adobe software in spesific folder without having issue like "installation failed,restart,turn of fire wall and bla bla.

I've been try to install in c drive and successfully done,but when install to other drive the pop up again.need help please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably because your user name does not have the proper, FULL, permissions on those other drives and or folders you are trying to install to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines