• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Cloud is always listed under "Apps Using Significant Energy" in OSX Mavericks

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud app always seems to be listed under "Apps Using Significant Energy" in OSX Mavericks. Is this normal behavior? Is there something that CC is doing in the background that requires it to draw energy? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Etc,

Could you try uninstalling and reinstalling the Creative Cloud app as a test?

There is an uninstaller in the Creative Cloud folder in Applications after that just reinstall from https://creative.adobe.com/products

-Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I'll try this. However, to note - this is a brand new laptop (one of the new MBP Retinas, and a fresh installation).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Listed around 13.48 for average energy impact and 'Yes' for requiring High Performance GPU (which is the GT 750M in my case). This means that my dedicated GPU is being in use the entire time the Creative Cloud application is running...which explains why I'm only getting half the battery performance.

You guys need to urgently release an update that makes this more energy efficient!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my late 2013 MacBook Pro with GT 750M.

Creative Cloud often appears in the Battery menu and in Activity Monitor with a high energy impact (15.89 at the moment). It also requires the High Perf GPU, which seems totally unnecessary to me – it is sometimes the only app in Activity Monitor's list which requires the high performance GPU, so it must be affecting my battery life as the Creative Cloud app is always open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem Late 2013 macbook pro 15"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled everything; reinstalled CC.app.

Same issue. Overly-high energy impact.

This isn't acceptable. There is no possible reason that an app that's tasked with keeping components up to date requires the High Perf GPU! That's just crappy, lazy, horrible programming.

Come on Adobe. Fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, when i have the adobe CC app running it slows down scrolling perfomance in Chrome.

Late 2013 macbook pro retina i7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Brand new MacBook, installed Creative Cloud yesterday, and it's constantly using 25% energy while idle.  This laptop doesn't have a GPU, it's Intel 4000 only, so I suppose this high energy usage must be due to CPU cycles only.  Creative Cloud uses about 1.5% CPU all the time when idle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem also on a brand new MacBook Pro with Retina Display, using the very latest version of the Creative Cloud helper app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem, it's not a Mavericks thing as it was doing it previously, it's using the discrete graphics some times and that's what uses the energy.

It's not consistent either, right now I'm on integrated graphics but randomly it'll switch to discrete with Creative Cloud shown as the dependancy (I use gfxCardStatus to keep an eye on what's happening), I can understand when PhotoShop etc are running but just the installer app???

I asked Adobe on Twitter a couple of months back but it got ignored. Would like an update as I use battery power a fair amount and CC controll app sapping my all important battery power for no good reason is a bit off.

I like the CC concept and how frequently things get updated but perhaps take a few days longer and get things tested in house before you release them, I've only just got CC working again after the last disaster of an update, please take a little care Adobe, this stuff is important to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue for me too on a Macbook Air 2012 11". (no dedicated GPU)

Creative Cloud lists as having an Avg. Energy Impact above 9.5.

Other cloud apps such as Google Drive use an avg of 1.4 which is already a lot.

Keeping it closed while on battery for me means going from 4.5 to 5.5~ hours of battery life , It'd be nice if the cloud app wasn't this power hungry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a real issue for me.  I see zero reason why the Creatve Cloud helper app needs to use so much energy as to have Mac OS call it "significant consumption" (when idle - not downloading updates or anything), and even less reason why it should force discreet graphics use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this on my MacBook running Mavericks as well. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times.

I just quit the Creative Cloud app after letting it check for updates, but it's pretty annoying that a do-nothing app consumes such resources when it is idle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is certainly a problem with the CC menu item version 1.2.1.260. This is on my new MacBook Pro 15 Inch (late 2013, 16GB RAM, 1TB Flash HD, GeForce 750M). I am seeing significant drain on the battery with just the CC app menu running, but only under certain conditions. I am unable to reproduce this consistently but for some reason it starts the discrete graphics and does not go back to the integrated graphics. Quitting the CC app menu and relaunching make the problem go away temporarily. Unfortunately, I only know about the issue if I click on the battery menu item or hear the fans start, after battery drain has occurred. To be clear, this is without any other CC apps running. I expect that Photoshop may/will kick in the discrete GPU but not the CC menu item. So, I'm temporarily going to run with the CC menu app off and will just launch it periodically to check for updates until this issue is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've the same issue. MacBook Pro 15" Retina (late 2013, 2.6 GHz, 16GB RAM, 512 SSD, GTX 750M, OSX 10.9).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered the same issue.  It seems for me at least to start doing this after system sleep.

I don't get why the menu item would use much energy at all ever, unless it's installing something.

This issue seems to have nothing to do with actually running any CC apps first, you can restart system and never run anything and it will start at some point to take to much energy.  I’m thinking it’s a bad code loop, the drop down is already annoying in how it just pops open when you switch spaces and nothing else is running on the space it launched in…  

I solved the issue by quitting the CC menu app…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2013 Dec 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, it basically means I can't run Adobe Creative Cloud on the move as it halves my batter life from 7 hours down to 3 and a half. I'd expect the app to be "napping" almost 100% of the time, can't imagine what they're using all those resources for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 21, 2013 Dec 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same problems: Late 2013 MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

In Activity Monitor, Creative Cloud is always listed under “Apps Using Significant Energy.” Sometimes “Requires High Perf GPU” is listed as “Yes” and other times, “No.” “Energy Impact” is usually higher than Photoshop's.

So now I have to quit Creative Cloud whenever I am running on battery power. As soon as I do so, I regain about 2 to 3 hours of battery life.

This also makes me wonder what other resources it is inefficiently using. Very annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2013 Dec 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would make me feel better if a glorified application listing would use less energy than the playback of a flash video, but maybe that's just me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2014 Jan 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Just installed Mavericks the other day and haven't even opened an Adobe app yet. Happened to notice my battery was plummeting now and saw the Significant Usage feature… Safari I would expect, but it's even using less than CC (the Helper specifically according to Activity Monitor). My MPB is a bit older (mid-09) but my battery is only a year old…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2014 Jan 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been over 2 months now with no real acknowledgement or reply from Adobe. Would be nice to know that they're at least on the case...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. On several systesm - some are freshly installed (all using Mavericks). Won't bother to give details, as its obviously a known/reproducable problem.

I find the app pretty bad in several other ways too. Offline/online handling is a mess. Behaviour when using Mission Control is another one. These are just some of the most obvious ones. The list continues, but I'll refrain since its OT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud app on mac is just horrible.

It's being a total battery hog consuming a lot of power on my laptop when I do not even actually need it.

In me experience when I forget to shut it down it reduces my working time on battery almost twice.

Please do something with it. It looks like a very well-known issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines