• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 on Windows 8 computer- issues?

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased CS4 (Web Premium) on disc (from Adobe) several years ago, and it has been working fine on my Win XP computer ever since. The Adobe software has all the current updates, though I am using the CS4 version of Acrobat Pro (9.xx) rather that a more recent (free) version of Reader.,

Unfortunately, my computer's hard drive has fried, and I just purchased a new Windows 8 machine, which will arrive shortly.  I am trying to determine:

1. Are there any general issues with CS4 installation on Win 8 that I should know about in advance?

2. Are there specific procedures (de-activation?) that I need to follow BEFORE attempting the installation on the new computer?

3. Other than specific user issues, are there problems with CS4 versus Windows 8 that I would not encounter with Windows 7.

I enhance photos and create web sites for a living, so the CS4 installation is mission-critical. I am hoping I did not make a mistake in ordering a Win 8 machine...

Thanks for any and all insights.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Thanks Jeff.  I have been unable to find a specific forum for CS4 or CS4 Web Premium, only the various programs it contains. It did not seem appropriate to post the same query in Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Bridge, Fireworks, Soundbooth, Illustrator etc etc. I was hoping for pointer/tips/cautions on installation of the entire Suite.

I'm aware of Adobe's official line on "never been tested," and I understand that. Although I am hearing various horror stories around the web, my IT advisor assure

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr News you maybe best served by posting your inquiry in the product specific forums.  For installation concerns Creative Suite 4 has never been tested with Windows 8.  It may work and you are certainly welcome to try the installation process.  If you run into any installation errors please feel free to post those errors to this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff.  I have been unable to find a specific forum for CS4 or CS4 Web Premium, only the various programs it contains. It did not seem appropriate to post the same query in Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Bridge, Fireworks, Soundbooth, Illustrator etc etc. I was hoping for pointer/tips/cautions on installation of the entire Suite.

I'm aware of Adobe's official line on "never been tested," and I understand that. Although I am hearing various horror stories around the web, my IT advisor assures me that there is no reason a 64-bit OS cannot run a 32-bit program (not vice-versa though). My product is properly registered, and there are reports of successful installations/operations on Win 8 machines. So I am hoping for the best, and will definitely post here whether there are installation problems, or it goes smoothly.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I just received a new Asus A55V with Win 8 installed. I am trying to install CS4. However, installation on all of the major core programs has failed. There is talk on some of the forums that Photoshop 11.0.1 multi adobe update will fix this problem. However, if I cannot install them, how do I install the update?

Can you difinitively answer if CS4 is compatible with Windows 8 or not. Is there a patch? I'd rather see if I can downgrade the new PC than buy another $2000 worth of software.

Any help on the Windows 8 issue would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SatMaster everything I posted previously to this discussion is still valid.  You are certainly welcome to post any specific errors which you receive.  I would ask though that you start a new discussion with any specific errors that you do receive.

Also no it is not possible to install the update for Photoshop prior to Photoshop CS4 being installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SatMaster-- I was able to install the entire CS4 Web Premium suite on my new machine with Windows 8 Home. I did it via the discs I bought around 2009. Everything installed OK except Flash Pro, which apparently installed an old version of Flash Player, which caused an error message ("there was an error, so this program may not work correctly" [paraphrasing]), but Flash Pro does seem to work fine. I did have to install the latest version of Flash Player and uninstall the old version (Firefox threw a fit), but Flash Pro was still able to publish and run old .flv files. Also noticed that two versions of Photoshop were installed, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.  I just use the 64-bit version, which runs fine. I was unable to re-install some old plug-ins, but new ones were added just fine. Total installation from disc took nearly 1.5 hours. Once installed, the CS4 suite needed numerous updates from Adobe, which took another 1-2 hours.

Not sure why you are getting the error you are, and can't speak to an Asus machine, as I am on a Dell 8700 desktop. Jeff is correct: you cannot install any Adobe updates before initially installing the software. Try removing ALL Adobe products/programs from your machine, re-boot, and try again.  From my POV, CS4 is compatible with Win8 Home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After about 10 hours of pain, I fixed the issue. I deleted the entire C: partition, removing Windows 8 from the new Asus A55D  laptop, installed Windows 7/ 64 Pro. Problem Solved. The entire CS4 suite installed without any issues at all. Cost me another $125 for the new Win7 license but was a small price for my sanity.

I would recommend against CS4 on any installation of Windows 8 and, for that matter, Windows 8 on anything you wish to be productive with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2013 Aug 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SatMaster: I feel your pain. There are a couple of factors at play with Win8 and apparent incompatibility with certain software.

1. Seems like different manufacturers install Win8 differently, and its interaction with their specific hardware/software may vary between models/makers.

2. Win8 Home, Premium, and Pro behave differently from each other, and work differently in different environments.

3. A Win8 upgrade to an existing machine/OS may cause different behavior than a clean Win8 installation on a new machine. (That's what I started with- a new machine. After initial removal of Dell, McAfee etc shovelware, I installed Adobe CS4 Web Premium, from discs, before anything else.)

I'm not surprised that your "clean" installation of Win7 led to success. You might have had the same result with Win8.  Overall, though Win8 is a departure from the Win95-XP-Vista-7 traditions/functionality, it is learnable and workable. So far, I find some tasks easier, and some harder. But once I open Photoshop on my dual monitors and start working on a picture, the OS doesn't really matter (although I did use a Mac at school for 3 months and hated it...).

Glad you kept your sanity. That's very important...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2013 Aug 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SatMaster: thinking of downgrading too. 

In your opinion, would setting up a system as dual boot have had a similar effect?

toying with the idea of going with XP or Vista. Truth be told, not finding a whole lot to be excited about Win 8. How far back in OSs could I go to ensure Adobe CS4 through 6 will work?

Though it might be a pain at first, the upside would be the vintage Windows partition would force me into a buisness - only mindset; If I feel the need to screw around on Amazon (or worse) I would have to reboot in Win8.

Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first want to say that Adobe's customer service is atrocious. Unless you have the absolute most recent version of the software, they won't even give you the time of day, and simply direct you to the forums (hence why I'm here). I recently installed windows 8 on my Gateway FX MS2252 laptop and I'm not sure if it's the source of the issues, but ever since, I have had poor luck with Adobe products. My Adobe Creative 2 would not recognize my legit serial number (even after connecting via phone), and now my Adobe Flash CS4 Pro won't even run. It simply gives me a generic message telling me to try restarting and otherwise contact Adobe Support. The only specific in the message is "Error: 3" which i have scoured the internet for, to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please don't post duplicate messages.

continue on your other thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I totally agree with you on the Adobe "Support", I use the world lightly because there is none! I have the same problem, I had to purchase a new laptop because of a windows suppose-ed upgrade from 7 to 10, the anniversary update killed my laptop. So I purchased a Dell Inspiron 17-7000. All my art software installed fine but Flash Pro Cs4, I got was installed with errors from the disk so I removed it from my desktop via a USB Flash drive and put it on my new laptop. It tries to launch but then gives me the same message you reported. try to restart or contact Adobe support. What is the problem? Why did Adobe quit giving phone or Chat support? Its bad enough they make you pay month to month or yearly to use their most recent software, but when you cannot use the software you pay good money for already and get no support is just bad business! Personally I have Xara and they have paint, vector, website and animate all in one application and way better support! Be careful Adobe, not everyone will stay with a company like this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines