• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 on Apple File System APFS

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is CS6 running on Apples new APFS file system? I heard it is case-sensitive and I remember not being able do install CS6 on HFS+ case-sensitive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

John you may have misunderstood my post.  We have support for APFS, as well as other file systems, within the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application.  This does not preclude an individual from still using HFS+ for example.

I have not personally experienced, or seen a post, from anyone who has a drive formatted in the APFS file system.  My understanding is that Apple was planning for a public release in late Spring or Summer 2017.   I also have macOS 10.12.4, installed locally, and my file syste

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I guessed. However, my question is specific to APFS. A whole ecosystem is going case-sensitive.

Will Adobe publish a fix for case-sensitivity? Or is that the end of Adobe products on Mac? Is Adobe only bringing the newest version to APFS and betrays users of CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CorneliusEmde there are currently no plans to make any additional updates for Creative Suite 6. 

The Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application has already been updated to support APFS.  You can find additional details at Release notes for the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So none of the Creative Suites up to and including CS6 will install on any Mac running macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later?

It's Cloud only for Sierra 10.12.4+?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John you may have misunderstood my post.  We have support for APFS, as well as other file systems, within the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application.  This does not preclude an individual from still using HFS+ for example.

I have not personally experienced, or seen a post, from anyone who has a drive formatted in the APFS file system.  My understanding is that Apple was planning for a public release in late Spring or Summer 2017.   I also have macOS 10.12.4, installed locally, and my file system did not automatically get converted.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All good Jeff. I get it now.

I was under the impression from some online articles such as Cult of Mac that Sierra 10.12.14 was automatically converting existing file systems to APFS. That is not the case.

That happened for iOS devices (which have a hidden and abstracted file system which most users never touch so it's safer for Apple to do radical changes to the file system) but it's not the case for Sierra due to the high risk of irreversible collateral damage to all the desktop file systems out there. So, all in all, the APFS rollout is a minor issue while Apple try and perfect APFS and inch towards a seamless rollout across all devices.

In short, APFS is there in Sierra who those who want to play with it. Otherwise it's business as usual.

Thanks for the clarification on the Adobe side of things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your welcome John.  Yes iOS did an automatic update but there has been no such automatic update for macOS 10.12.4.

I would still recommend waiting to install Creative Cloud applications under APFS if you do have a volume using this file system.  While the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application supports APFS the individual applications themselves, and third-party plug-ins and extensions, may not function as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application supports APFS the individual applications themselves, and third-party plug-ins and extensions, may not function as expected.

Yep, and I suspect that's a primary reason why Apple has not gone the nuclear option with APFS yet. There are too many unknowns at this stage. They're likely still testing and refining. Exclusive APFS is too early for Sierra. They've got to pull the plug on HFS+ sometime. Maybe macOS 10.13 will ship with default APFS formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

What about Adobe Acrobat Pro DC?  Will that work with case-sensitive filesystems, and if not, when?  Or is Acrobat going to be part of the Adobe cloud-suite as well?  I mention this as I am unable to get it to work on HFS+ with case-sensitivity now, and its the latest version.

Cheers,

Damien.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damien Acrobat DC is already available as part of a Creative Cloud membership and is available for download and install through the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application.

Damien, and future viewers of this discussion, if you have questions regarding APFS support within a specific application then I would recommend posting in the relevant forum for that specific software title.  The communities for those software titles will be more familiar with any specific errors or issues affecting it will installed under APFS.  You can find a list of available forums at https://forums.adobe.com/welcome​.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do I understand correctly? CS6 is not and will not be running on APFS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines