Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have Indesign and Photoshop 2020 and 2021 installed - help

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I did the Photoshop and Indesign update two days ago and now I have both the 2020 and the 2021 version on my Mac. Can I safely delete the 2020 version without losing any previous work?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can uninstall using your cc desktop app, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

no project files are ever removed by uninstalling adobe software.

in the future, when updating to new versions, you should see an option to remove older versions (if you look before automatically updating).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem: I just installed the 2021 versions of Photoshop, Bridge, Illustrator, and I still have on my computer also the 2020 versions of all of them (some of which are not working properly, by the way, as they show a number of errors). The link you provided is not working as in the list of the installed applications which I can see on the ccdesktop app the 2020 versions do not appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what os?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is both normal and very desirable. New versions aren't always exactly what you need. Maybe a plug-in doesn't work, or a function you used to use has changed a lot. Maybe you don't have time to retrain right now. Upgrading is a big deal; test the new version carefully. When you are completely happy, you might delete the old version, though I never would.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience with upgrades is a mixed bag of tricks.  Some work very well, others not so much.  You can't know how well it works on your system until you try it. 

Since Adobe adopted a new version policy (N = newest + 1 previous), it's almost impossible to find pre-2020 versions anymore.  So I always keep multiple versions on my system until I'm convinced I will never need them again.  Otherwise I could be stuck with a bad version I can't use with no way to revert to the old one.   Or I may have old plugins that don't work with newer versions.  If your hard drive has ample space, there's no harm in having multiple versions installed.

Before you upgrade, always check the system requirements for each product. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Old CC versions may not work with Catalina or Big Sur.  When in doubt, use the latest if possible.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, @kglad,

As Jim from Prodesign tools has said, Adobe may remove the old installers at anytime without warning.  And I have personally experienced problems with some legacy installers not containing the full package.  So it's hit & miss.  Adobe are not making it easy to keep using older versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea 

agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your comments.

You all say it may be desirable to have both old and new versions.

Ok, but what if I want to keep only the new version, for example because I don't have much space on my computer? Previous versions take me 12 Gb and I can't afford that at the moment. Is there any way to uninstall just the old version? I don't see on my CC app any way to do that. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in file>preferences>apps do you have show older apps enabled?

kglad_0-1614098148096.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you normally unistall software from your OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Nancy, thanks for your answer.Of course I can uninstall the old version in the standard way but my concern is that this might affect the remaining new version: the old version folder might include libraries or settings which are shared with the new one.  Anyway I am going to test it, in the worst case I will reinstall everything. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines