• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installed Norton, now told CS6 not genuine.

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using my computer for the last 7 years, bought the machine functionally to do a college course in music; I wasn't informed that the computer came preinstalled with Adobe CS6, unsure if master or web, but it has Photoshop, Audition, Flash, FireWorks, Encore, Prelude, InDesign, Illustrator, Premier Pro, Acrobat Reader... all function with no problem, no need to sign in, and I haven't updated, but rarely use most... but obviously over the passing of time, I use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Audition and Premier Pro, and perhaps once InDesign, to do a CD cover for college work.

Anyway, due to what I perceived to be a malware issue, with my MacBook Pro memory suddenly shrinking inexplicably, I decide to install Norton 360 on my Mac to clear the problem, I did have Avast, but that expired, and I hadn't renewed, so used one of the group licences (4 licences between 4 machines, 1 licence used) my wife has to install the software on my machine.

Within a day of this Norton installation I start getting prompts and screen pops stating that my adobe software isn't genuine, I bought the machine from a business, who used the machine to do interactive websites, graphics, also on the machine is Microsoft Office. 
No I do not have serial numbers, to put it simply my wife works in insolvency, the machine was bought due to the sell of the insolvent company, the insolvent company may have had the serial number information, but I do not... and this was 7 years ago.

To put it mildly, I am feeling that my user rights are be usurped, by Norton analysing my computer and sending information to Adobe for them to install software on my machine that should not be there. It's an infringement, I didn't have an option to say, "by installing Norton we will analyse your machine to send information to companies that manufacture software you have installed" - since I use my computer for music - I have licences for complete suites of Arturia, Native Instruments, Eventide, Waves, Plug-in Alliance, and many others (and I maintain serial numbers of these); I find this sudden imposition of a pop-up stating that I have illegal software a sham to make me upgrade to cloud cuckooland versions of software I don't need, after 7 years or more of non-intervention, and now the sudden need for them to send me a link to uninstall the software, I feel my rights as a user are being usurped, with a bunch of hokey stating it's not genuine.

To add has said I have Microsoft Office installed, and have no such issue with them.

TOPICS
Activation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I wasn't informed that the computer came preinstalled with Adobe CS6"

Unless you had the licence transferred over to you, you were never legally entitled to use the software anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then you could argue that any computer which comes with preinstalled software, is illegal, since most do not offer defined serial numbers, they come with a generic OEM licence which covers all products on a purchased machine. As said, the products are genuine, not fake, not cracked, etc... if adobe can tell me by online chat what is on my machine, then logically they should be able to see the licences related to the machine - since it's usually the machine that the licences are registered to irrespective of the user of the machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"since it's usually the machine that the licences are registered"

That is not the case with Adobe software of any other software that I use, the software is licensed to the individual and or company.

That version of CS6 was registered to the person that owned the Laptop, the product may be genuine but you do not have a licence to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To my knowledge No Adobe software was ever offered with an OEM license and never came Preinstalled from any manufacture.

If some manufacture did offer Adobe software at the time of purchase it would of came with CD/DVD discs and license serial number or numbers and it would of been an Extra Charge over and above the cost of the computer.

Where did you purchase this computer, from what maker, company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines