• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing InDesign 2021 on new MacBook... How?!

Contributor ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to install ID 2021 on my new MacBook but the Adobe app only allows me to install the just released 2023 version and 2022... But I absolutely need ID 2021. Help! How can I get this done? Without ID 2021 I am lost! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version is that? I can install back to 17.0

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_InDesign#Versions

InDesign 2023 (Version 18)

InDesign 2022 (Version 17)

InDesign 2021 (Version 16)

The OP wants InDesign 2021 (version 16).

Adobe only offers the current version (18) and the version before that (17) via the Cloud desktop app.

Have to contact Adobe Customer Care for other versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This article on ProDesignTools describes how to download InDesign 2021:

"Just reach out to Adobe’s Customer Care team via live online chat, and they will immediately give you temporary links to download offline installers for all the 2021 apps that you need."

https://prodesigntools.com/creative-cloud-2021-direct-download-links.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @J van E,

Adobe only support the latest two versions of the CC app, that currently would be v18 and v17. CC2021 is v16 so that won't be available for download from Creative Cloud Desktop app. What you should do and is the only way to get a genuine copy of the installer is to contact Adobe support and ask for it. They might help if they have the link handy

To contact support follow the instructions given below
1. Go to https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
2. Wait a bit on the page that opens up, it should automatically open a chat popup. If that does not happen then look for a call out/chat icon at the bottom right, click over it and the chat popup should open
3. In order to talk to a human type "AGENT" in the chat box
4. If you are not able to get to the chat window, then disable your adblockers, firewall, enable cookies/scripts on your browser. If it still fails then change your browser/machine/network.

P.S. Be mindful of answering anyone who sends you a private message. See the following for more information about scammers
https://tinyurl.com/y7cfrr7y
-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the tips. I did manage to contact support and they provided me with an installer. However... it is version 16.0, so the original unpatched one... And for my workflow (WoodWing) I need at least version 16.3. However, there is no way to update this standalone version so I am stuck nonetheless. 

I will contact support once more and see what they have to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's all they have are links for unpatched versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, well, then I am screwed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have it installed on another computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I tried copying the folders etc. but got an error at startup. Is there a way top copy InDesign that won't result in errors then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's no reliable way to move it, but migration sometimes succeeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't work with InDesign, but couldn't you do what you need to in version 18 (or even 17, I think you can get updates for the previous version) and then save as version 16? You would need to remember what you can't do in version 16 when doing the work to avoid issues with the files being opened with version 16. Or maybe the InDesign interchange format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, thanks for chiming in but I work with the publishing system WoodWing which completely works in the cloud and I simply need InDeisgn 16.3 or higher for that. I can't export or save as or anything.

I contacted Adobe twice again today but they can't help. At least... one guy asked permission to take over my computer in order to update ID but then the connection was lost. The next guy told me this wasn't possible at all. Took me a few hours waiting on chat so I am kinda done with it for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you mis-type?  if you need 16.3 or higher, will v17 or v18 work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I'm a little confused by your latest reply too.

If 16.3 "or higher" is required then can you do what you need with the current version InDesign 2023?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to contact adobe support for cc 2021.  

use a browser that allows popups and cookies and contact adobe support by clicking here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
in the chat field (lower right), type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human

p.s you can also use phone (but chat is usually quicker), https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

p.p.s. you can also use twitter to tweet @AdobeCare

p.p.p.s. if you're contacted by anyone (via email or private message), it's much more likely to be a scammer than an adobe representative. ie, double check for an employee badge if contacted in the forums and look for an adobe.com domain in the email address if you click reply to an email. then check again and be very suspicious. any other method of contacting (or offering to contact you) is almost certainly a scam, https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/staying-safe-in-the-adobe-support-com...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines