• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Photoshop CS2 free after all or no joy?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, ive been a long time photoshop user, i believe pre cs2, i imediatelly liked this piece of software since the first day i used it, it was easy to use, intuitive with a set of powerfull features that would speed up my image developments, i used it at school design classes and even 1 month at an ads printing company. At home i could definitly use it to create high quality sprites for my software and since i never really had 850€, once i stumbled across this information you can understand i was thrilled by it, i stumbled accross this info from a fb post, then read some other websites over a google search specyfing the same so i took the plunge and downloaded it.

Now that i came here to triple check, im hinted it might not be free after all, could i please get a definitive answear by someone who works or represents adobe if this piece of software is indeed legal to be used free or not?

Thank you for your time everyone.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Please see http://forums.adobe.com/message/4919014#4919014?sdid=KCHDS where this topic has been discussed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What i meant by someone who works at adobe, i didnt meant to exclude moderators or administrators of this forum, a reply from 1 of them is far more than welcome and wanted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is categorically not free.  It is for people who already own it to reinstall it as the activation servers are down.

It's been widely misrepresented because blogs, even the really big new site ones, just repost other people's content without fact checking it.

There appeared to be a suggestion that Adobe would let it go but this has not materialised and the most recent official statement is:

"Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers.  While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that easy. It's free for download. No indication, limitation, warning, ecc. is on the download page.

Adobe, we have a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"No indication, limitation, warning, ecc. is on the download page."

I bet there's one in the terms you agree to during install.

Unless Adobe say otherwise using these serials is piracy exactly the same as getting a serial from anywhere else is.  It's accidental and they probably can't do anything about it if the serial bypasses the activation server but it's still piracy.

If you wouldn't have pirated the software before there's no reason to use these serials and if you're happy with piracy you've presumably already got the latest version so the CS2 serials won't be of any use to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that easy... we're a day later and nothing has changed. IF they're not giving it away for free, they would / should have done by now the following:

Taken down the download page
Replaced it by a big screen telling everyone that the version is NOT FREE.
or replaced the direct access by a page where you have to enter your current license information.
The lack of doing so is a sign to me that the initial "it's free" message is actually the right one. Heck, they haven't even put a LINK to the LICENSE TERMS on the download page. Nothing on the current download page actually tells the user that the software is NOT FREE...

So... swallow it Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I bet there's one in the terms you agree to during install."

Nothing during install.

Nothing even in eula.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I counter checked the license terms during installation. The following paragraphes are part of the license terms:

"THE SOFTWARE MAY INCLUDE PRODUCT ACTIVATION AND OTHER TECHNOLOGY DESIGNED TO PREVENT UNAUTHORIZED COPYING. THE ACTIVATION TECHNOLOGY MAY PREVENT YOUR USE OF THE SOFTWARE IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE ACTIVATION PROCESS DESCRIBED IN THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION."

and

"2. Software License. If you obtained the Software from Adobe or one of its authorized licensees and as long as you comply with the terms of this agreement, Adobe grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software in the manner and for the purposes described in the Documentation, as further set forth below. See Section 14 for specific provisions related to certain components.

2.1 General Use. You may install and use one copy of the Software on up to the Permitted Number of your compatible Computers;

[...]"

This is the standard Adobe license terms. Especially the Section 14 does not contain any mention of restriction due to the download version and their keys. At no point in the license terms is a mention about the need to have purchased a prior version in order to be able to use the "free" CS2 version.

People have obtained both, the software and the keys through an Adobe web page (which is still up and reachable), which does not contain any further mentions about any license term changes.

According to this, and the license terms shown during installation, the fact that people access the Adobe download page to download both, the software and the keys, makes the software legal. Unless they change the terms and/or restrict the access to the downloads + key, there's nothing they can do about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't specifically mention serial keys so I've just run the PS install to see what they define software as:

"all of the information with which this agreement is provided"

So I suppose it hinges on whether the keys being on the same page means they're provided with the agreement or whether that's considered to be providing them separately.  I would never assume legal language means what a normal person would think it means.

I'm still not bothering with it myself.  It's not worth the slightest chance of losing access to my bought software over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It's not worth the slightest chance of losing access to my bought software over."

?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ginopilot wrote:

"It's not worth the slightest chance of losing access to my bought software over."

?????

Using the CS2 software isn't worth even a small risk of Adobe taking action against accounts that have used the serials without the correct license and doing something to prevent me accessing the software I already own.  It may well be that there's no way of them knowing who has used it, which is why I say it's a small risk, but it's still not worth it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download cs2 without an adobe accont and serials are all the same for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5. Updates. If the Software is an upgrade or update to a previous version of Adobe software, you must possess a valid license to such previous version in order to use such upgrade or update. After you install such update or upgrade, you may continue to use any such previous version in accordance with its end-user license agreement only if (a) the upgrade or update and all previous versions are installed on the same device, (b) the previous versions or copies thereof are not transferred to another party or device unless all copies of the update or upgrade are also transferred to such party or device and (c) you acknowledge that any obligation Adobe may have to support the previous version(s) may be ended upon the availability of the upgrade or update. No other use of the previous version(s) is permitted after installation of an update or upgrade.Upgrades and updates may be licensed to you by Adobe with additional or different terms.

12. Notice to U.S. Government End Users.

12.1 Commercial Items. The Software and Documentation are "Commercial Item(s)," as that term is defined at 48 C.F.R. Section 2.101, consisting of "Commercial Computer Software" and "Commercial Computer Software Documentation," as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. §12.212 or 48 C.F.R. §227.7202, as applicable. Consistent with 48 C.F.R. §12.212 or 48 C.F.R. Sections 227.7202-1 through 227.7202-4, as applicable, the Commercial Computer Software and Commercial Computer Software Documentation are being licensed to U.S. Government end users (a) only as Commercial Items and (b) with only those rights as are granted to all other end users pursuant to the terms and conditions herein. Unpublished-rights reserved under the copyright laws of the United States. Adobe Systems Incorporated, 345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110-2704, USA.

13. Compliance with Licenses. If you are a business, company or organization, you agree that upon request from Adobe or its authorized representative you will within thirty (30) days fully document and certify that use of any and all Adobe software at the time of the request is in conformity with your valid licenses from Adobe.

what do you think about this  ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silence means consent. Cs2 is free for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see http://forums.adobe.com/message/4919014#4919014?sdid=KCHDS where this topic has been discussed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kootikaad: As is the software and the license keys are not considered being an update or an upgrade for those who didn't have a license before. The software is not "tagged" as such. So, it's a new license provided by Adobe.

Section 12 is not applicable for european users and doesn't state in any way that the licenses handed out can only be used when a prior license existed. As is, the CS2 is not tagged as being a download for a purchased software.

Section 13: no problem: License has been provided by Adobe through their openly accessible download page which requires no login whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soo it's free and legit for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like that. We are talking about legal stuff (licensing e.t.c.) and download with keys directly from Adobe gives the rights to use this product legally. And what Adobe imply have no effect at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several days ago,I was buying an ink cartridge online and saw an ad on the seller's website about Adobe CS2 being offered for free for a limited time. Being a I-can't-afford-expensive-graphic-software-self-taught artist, I clicked on the link and it took me directly to the Adobe website with the program already shown to be downloaded. It took a long time to download the entire program because it was probably in 3 discs originally. I wasn't able to use it right away, so it sit on my old computer (with a Windows XP OS) for several days. Today (10-04-2014), I had no trouble launching the program. It even had my name as the registered owner on the splash page. (I had bought something from Adobe before, but none in the graphics art department. So the company still recognized my ID and password. But being a newbie in digital art, I wanted to refer to the tutorial videos that came with the download. I can't find them. I guess I have to go to Youtube to learn the basics or find a manual that goes with it. So, yes, I got the CS2 for free, but not ALL of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the terms of the license became invalid as soon as Adobe declared CS2 as "NO LONGER SUPPORTED".  The license, like most things has a time limit, the distributor is required to service and support the item for the period stated in the license (which can vary in different countries).  As long as you don't intend modifying or selling the product in any way if Adobe have a problem with you using it then they must make it unavailable to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So was this ever hashed out as to if CS2 is free? The link in the Jan 8th 2013  statement by Jeff Wright is a long thread that i went through and it mainly covers addressing the instalation and activation issues. With all of the inquiries of folks directly asking Adobe to address this very simple question all see to have been dodged. There are still Facebook posts and articles that are spread around that get everyone thinkng CS2 is now free, with some supplying updates that say maybe not but not sure etc.

The only official line I can find from Adobe on this is "While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers."  This does not actaully seem do counter the claims that CS2 is now free.

I doubt that I would use the software so I would most likly not try to grab it, but I know persons that would if they thought it was for free, and I would like proof to try and deter them from breaking any laws.

Even in this thread there are many folks making claims and good dialogs for their interpriting that the software does now appear to be free, as there is no clearly posted disclaimer from Adobe stating otherwise. Please Adobe, make a statement, if it is not free / legal to use the unsupported CS2 installers / software if you didn't previously own a license, then state that fact so that it IS obvious.

Change the line of "While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers." to be clearer, to something such as " Note: This move is to assist in the reactivation of legally licensed purchases of the CS2 software line that is currently unsupported and no longer able to be activated as it was originally designed. This does not mean that the software is now being given away for free."

That would be clear and simple and as easy as chagning a single line of text on the download page that anyone with an Adobe ID can access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

darren88 explained it clearly and accurately in message 2. 

everyone else (expositing information counter to that statement) is playing the role of internet lawyer trying to justify software theft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The CS2 situation is obviously ambiguous rather than clear-cut. This being the case, it is ridiculous for anyone to jump to the conclusion that downloading CS2 without a previously-purchased license is "software theft". Some people feel all warm and fuzzy inside when they think  they occupy the moral high ground; but often as not, it's just their imagination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are they openly issuing the serial key if it were only for those who purchased it ?  I mean they could have provided some special login method for it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Adobe were issued a license for this software, the terms of the license includes the time limit for its saleability (how long before it was replaced) and the time they are prepared to support it after it becomes redundant.  Once they declare it "no longer supported", most of the terms of license become redundant also!.  As long as you use it for your own use, without modification in any way, or offer it for sale or rent, the only action the distributor can take is to make it no longer available. These rumours of Adobe keeping it available for people who have a license are RUBBISH, the license is no longer valid anyway, that's what NO LONGER SUPPORTED MEANS!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines