• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

More than 100 instances of "MS Console based script host" in Task manager

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even without starting an CC application my Task Manager shows "Microsoft ® Console Based Script Host" like 50 times. Details show it is a file called cscript.exe in C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

After uninstalling all Adobe software it is gone, but its back while Im installing all Adobe CC apps again. But this time it shows up more than 100 times (and still counting) and thats not exaggerated! Every instance uses 2,2 mb memory and 0,0& of the cpu, so it isn't really eating my performance away, but it also created problems with my online connections.

And I saw a couple of more people with this problem on Twitter in the last days and it started after the updates, so I'm certain it's Adobe and not a virus or something.

If you don't know a solution, at least please check your Task Manager if you have the same problem, maybe without knowing.

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1607

OS Build: 14393.351

System Type: 64 bit

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SomniumLab are you receiving any error messages when you are downloading and installing the Adobe Creative Cloud applications?  You can find details on how to double check the installation log files for errors at Creative Cloud download and install errors​.

If there are no installation errors then do you know what specific software title you install when the Script Host appears? 

Do you use Google Chrome as a web browser?  If so have you temporarily disabled any installed add-ons or plug-ins?  Adobe applications use the Chromium framework to display information so installed add-ons and plug-ins within Google Chrome can lead to unexpected behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue the last couple of days and thought it was a virus as it loaded 100s of cscript.exe into the task manager and internet doesnt work.

I uninstalled all Adobe software and the issue went away. i then reinstalled CC along with photoshop, illustrator and indesign and my computer has been fine for the last couple of days and then this morning CC told me it had installed lightroom (without me asking it to) and now the issue has returned... internet cuts out after a couple of minutes and hundreds of cscript.exe running.

The cscript.exe seems to start loading on windows boot along with CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answers guys! Helped me a lot with searching for the problem.

I tried a couple of things and I think the problem was AVG. Not sure who's fault it is.

I first disabled all extensions in Chrome, since that made sense to me. But the problem still existed after restarting, event without opening an adobe program. After this I removed AVG, since that also seem to give problems to Office Outlook. After this the cscript.exe in task manager was gone. So I enabled all the extensions in Chrome again, restarted and it seems that the issue isn't showing up anymore.

So I din't try out uninstalling for example Lightroom, but will try that if it comes back with another antivirus.

Not sure what antivirus you guys have? I will try another one, besides Windows Defender and see if the problem comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear you got it sorted!
I'm still struggling here, I also run AVG and tried uninstalling it, rebooted and same issue with the huge amount of cscript.exe running.

In order to get around it I've been disabling CC from windows startup so I can at least use the internet but as soon as I run CC, my task manager floods with cscript.exe.

I don't have chrome and essentially no other applications are running when this happens. I've run a full scan of AVG along with a couple of major malware scanning programs and neither turn up any spyware or viruses so I'm pretty confident it's an issue with Adobe CC.

Jeff - I checked the Adobe installation logs and there were 0 errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad it didn't work for you. Did you uninstall everything from AVG? It had at least 4 different programs/parts installed. I had to reboot multiple times between uninstalling and after that, before it was solved I think.

I agree this probably isn't a virus because it's way too coincidental that multiple people have the exact same problem. But the strangest thing about this is that it's blocking or killing our internet connection.

Maybe, but this is just plain guessing, it is Adobe connecting to the internet (or something like that) but fails because of something (maybe AVG) and restarts the task but failing again, but keeping the previous task running and so on. Because it seemed like there where more cscript tasks coming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I reported this issue to our engineering department and they were able to reproduce it. They are working with AVG for a resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have exactly the same problem.....running Adobe CC and AVG, and looses Internet every day, due to some 100 of "Microsoft Console Based Script Host"....When may we expect a solution to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gotten feedback from our engineering group regarding a workaround related to making a minor registry change.

Option 1

1. Download AVGWorkaround.reg file to your desktop - Adobe Creative Cloud
  2. Double click the reg script (AVGWorkaround.reg in attachment) to run
  3. Click "Yes" in the popped up dialog if any, and click "OK"
  4. Restart machine to make sure it takes effect
  5. Check CCX Process in process explorer

Option 2 (This is essentially the same solution for advanced users that are comfortable modifying the registry on their own)

1. Windows > Run 'regedit'
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe, and create key "CCXWelcome"
  3. Under "CCXWelcome", create a value entry named "Disabled" with type being DWORD(32-bit), and value being zero.
  4. Restart machine to make sure it takes effect
  5. Check CCX Process in process explorer

This should resolve the issue until we have fully addressed it with AVG.

Thanks,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed the instructions and have not had any problems since.... THX!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I'm using Comodo Antivirus, and I'm experiencing the same problem, I had absolutely loads of the same processes listed here, and its' only been happening since I got creative cloud.

Would the suggested fix perhaps work for Comodo anti-virus, too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave,

Any update in regards to fixing this issue with AVG instead of the temporary registry file fix?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luis,

I think our engineering team plans to address the issue with the next update to the Creative Cloud app.

Best,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to hear 

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

eu finalizei a tarefa CCXProcess, e sumiram todos as tarefas Script Host de uma vez, mas depois disso meu AVG parou de funcionar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Script solved it. Took a while on the net to find the solution here. Can imagine a lot of users out there not seeing it at all.

Adobe .reg file was an awful download. I'm into computers so no problem for me to rename the file .reg, backup the registry and run the script. But seriously, no description, no user guidance, no suggestion of backing up the registry, a convoluted download that even had me stunned for 30 sec. or so (=eternity in the internet world).

Worst I've seen for years...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Had this problem 1 week ago and now found this threat
It work to me too
Please, repair problem on your software, too much people must have it, today i format win and at cc client install problem comes back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another one affected .... lost a couple of hours trying to fix the broken internet connection before I came across this solution

Now, time is money: Adobe could give vouchers for stock images or something similar as a compensation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix worked for me too (thanks very much), although I've stumbled across the thread after having problems with Outlook accessing an IMAP account.  Curiously, I have an exchange account which always works fine, but when the IMAP account was trying to refresh, it created numerous Console Script Hosts and hence me finding this thread.  I do have Adobe CC and AVG, although if I avoided starting Outlook, I'm not sure I would have had this problem.  Weird, but sorted now, and hopefully for good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just discovered I have 267 of these "MS Console based script host" things...I use Bit Defender for my virus protection, and not having connection issues but, I don't like not knowing what these scripts are for.  Seems rather redundant!  I pay a lot of money to Adobe each month for this service.  I don't expect to find this sort of hidden, unexplained thing growing in my task manager.  I can't imagine Adobe needs 267 scripts to run correctly so I want them gone.  Some suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

90e795bc378dac798f3ba560ae62c0fc.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rayanne,

Normally only one instance of the script would run and then close out. The behavior here with multiple instances is due to a conflict between the Creative Cloud app and your anti-virus software. Please see the workaround I posted earlier on in this thread (post 9) to prevent the conflict. I know this is something our engineering plans to fix from our side with the next update to the Creative Cloud app. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Best,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines