• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My illustrator free trial turned into a yearly plan because I didn't cancel it in time.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'd had any idea Adobe was so coercive and unclear about what their plans are I never would have bought anything. I thought I had a month to month plan for Premiere but it seems that it has turned into a yearly plan without my noticing...OK I do sometimes use Premiere. Then I got Illustrator as a free trial and didn't get around to cancel it immediately so after a couple of months this has turned into a yearly subscription. How did this happen? I'm sure I never signed up for a yearly subscription for it. I didn't cancel it because there is no CANCEL BUTTON and i didn't have time for all this mucking about. This SUCKS I don't want it, I'm not using it. This is bad business practice and a waste of my time. All the help person said was that I did have a yearly plan for both and offered 3 months free on illustrator. Can someone clearly show me where I went wrong and where I committed myself to these plans especially the illustrator one?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Hi Jacquelineb,

I'm sorry you got caught in this frustration. Adobe has changed the way their free trials work. The 7 day trial now automatically converts to a paid subscription on day 8 unless you manually cancel it first, and the cancellation process is, as you are aware, a little opaque. You must go to "Manage account" under your Adobe ID and to  select "Plans". Click the plan associated with your 7 day trial and cancel it. In the process, the system asks a lot of questions, and you need to ma

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacquelineb,

I'm sorry you got caught in this frustration. Adobe has changed the way their free trials work. The 7 day trial now automatically converts to a paid subscription on day 8 unless you manually cancel it first, and the cancellation process is, as you are aware, a little opaque. You must go to "Manage account" under your Adobe ID and to  select "Plans". Click the plan associated with your 7 day trial and cancel it. In the process, the system asks a lot of questions, and you need to make sure you follow all the way through to be successful. You can check that the cancellation stuck by going back to plans afterward and reviewing the status.

As for why you're on a yearly subscription, that has to do with what you selected when you were signing up for the trial. As you can see from the screenshot, there are multiple options, but "Annual plan, paid monthly" is the default.

trial.png

Since you did not intend to subscribe to Illustrator or to an annual plan for Premiere it might be worth contacting Adobe again and explaining that you were mislead. If the regular chat agents can't help, see if you can speak with a supervisor. Perhaps they will be willing to cancel the plan for you without further charge.

Let us know if this doesn't answer your question. Otherwise, good luck! I hope you are able to resolve the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks that was actually helpful. I'm amazed that they can legally change

the terms of subscription like that and trick people without making it

clear. I'm obviously naive. Adobe aren't talking to me, I've had no helpful

answers from them so far. I wonder whether they can keep taking money out

of your account at a future date as I am keeping that account empty until I

get this clarified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2019 Aug 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacquelineb77578768  wrote

(...) I'm amazed that they can legally change

the terms of subscription like that and trick people without making it

clear. (...)

Where did the terms change? What is not clear in "Annual plan"? And before taking the subscription you will agree that you have read the terms. And contrary to my mobile subscription where the terms are 2 pages full of 8 point text, the terms Adobe shows are readable in 5 minutes and are clear and concise.

What you need absolutely to do is to Contact Customer Care and negotiate you out of that contract.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read and understand the terms you agreed to when you joined?

Adobe Subscription and Cancellation Terms | Adobe

In a nutshell, the trial membership is free for 7 days after which it automatically converts to a paid plan.  From that point, you have 14 days to cancel without penalty (see link below). 

How to cancel your Adobe Creative Cloud plan or membership

After the 7 day trial and 14 day grace period (21 days), you agree to pay for Creative Cloud for 12 months.  If you cancel early, you incur a 50% early termination fee.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what it would change if Adobe automatically should send a message when the trial period ends, if not to confirm the subscription, or a least as information of the situation, Amazon does it.

It appears more honest and transparent.

Placing all responsabilities on customers is not fair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does send out e-mails.   Did you check your spam, trash and social folders.

Also, your online account is accessible 24/7.   It doesn't get any more transparent than that.

Adobe Account

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't need to be told off, I need to be clearly shown where I signed up

for a year's subscription when I only wanted a month by month one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't need to be told off, I need to be clearly shown where I signed up

for a year's subscription when I only wanted a month by month one.

Re: My illustrator free trial seems to have turned into a yearly plan because I didn't cancel it wit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was only after a month by month plan.

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 10:14, federico platon <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I was aware I was only on a month to month contract, there was no

clear information or contract that said I was obliged to use your product

for a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I was aware I was only on a month to month contract, there was no

clear information or contract that said I was obliged to use your product

for a year.

You could argue that you did not know, you could argue that you didn't think to take that kind of subscription, but it is clearly marked when you sign-up what you sign-up.

As soon as you enter a payment method anywhere you need to be aware of that you are signing on to something that will be billed sooner or later. There are 3 options on the Adobe site and they differ in the amount, the terms and the billing cycle.

Again: I agree with you that you were not aware that you were taking an annual plan paid by month, but it is clearly written in the terms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact same thing happened to me. I had no idea that I had committed to an annual plan. Since whatever was shown to me on Adobe's web interface is no longer accessible to me, I have no clue whether I just misread the big print or whether it was buried in the small print, which nobody can or should read for every web service they use. Also, a free trial flipping into an annual commitment seems highly unusual and should be particularly highlighted to users. Some or all of the fault could be mine, but I feel scammed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a user-to-user forum.  Nobody here has influcence over what Adobe policy makers do.

How do I Cancel my Subscription?
https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/cancel-subscription.html
===============
Subscription & Cancellation Terms:
https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html

CONTACT ADOBE SUPPORT:
================
Online Chat: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
Phone M-F, during normal business hours: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines