• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 12 "sign in required" infinite loop

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just re-installed PS Elements 12 on a new PC (Win 11 Pro). When I run it, I get a "sign in required" dialog, I go throught the sign in, authenticate with the Adobe Account Access app, all works and says signed in (I've done this both via QR code on phone and the desktop web browser link).

The PS Elements app then just quits, and when I run it again it just goes back to the "sign in required" dialog.

It's already listed in the products page under my account, with the serial number (that's where I downloaded it from to reinstall).

I tried:

Installing and signing in to Creative Cloud Desktop.

Running as admin.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marka

Just had this problem with my Photoshop, I installed all the updates available and restarted my PC and it fixed the problem. Hope this helps.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is a fresh install of Windows 11 with
all updates applied. I think it's an Adobe problem more than a Windows
issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you had Elements 12 installed on a prior computer (and possibly on more than one computer during the past 12 or so years since that version was released).  Did you sign out of your prior computers?  If the computer(s) are still available and you are able to do so, sign out of Elements 12 on those computers and see if it makes a difference.  If not, report back and I will try to get you some  help from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same problem here.  Is that an active Bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "sign out" to my knowledge. This version pre-dates the subscription model (to be able to just install and use the software without any messing around, but no...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "sign out" to my knowledge. This version pre-dates the subscription model (to be able to just install and use the software without any messing around, but no...)

By @marka53865769

I think that you are right about the "sign out" option : in those very old versions, the option was simply called "activate /deactivate" in the help menu.

Elements has never been a subscription moldel.

Another trap : those who have bought the special Microsoft version from the Microsoft Store should refer to Microsoft which is responsible for the licensing of their own version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got my hopes up there - there was indeed a "sign out" in the menu of Elements 12 on the old PC. However signing out from that did nothing to change the sign in problem on the new PC, just quite after authentication and went back to the "sign in required" screen on relaunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@marka53865769 sorry Photoshop Elements 12 is unable to complete the sign in process on the new computer running Windows 11. What operating system was running on the previous computer?

You can try checking the software firewall settings to verify Photoshop Elements 12 is able to contact Adobe's servers. When you are successful you will encounter the updated sign-in experience discussed in https://community.adobe.com/t5/download-install-discussions/signing-into-and-activating-legacy-adobe...

There could be a number of other problems with trying to install Photoshop Elements 12 on a modern version of Windows, but please check the software firewall first to confirm that none of the necessary components are blocked from contacting us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Win 11. However it was installed before Jan '24 so pre the wonderful new sign in process, just using the serial number.

It's not firewall as per original report, I'm getting push notifications on the phone for the auth app etc., and when I approve the login on the phone is when the desktop app quits. Nor did I see any notifications from the firewall. However in the interests of science I disabled Windows Defender Firewall entirely and it made no difference. 

I have to wonder how much money Adobe was losing on a decade old version of Elements that they saw a need to update the sign in. This kind of nonsense is actually what drives people to pirated copies tbh.

Hey but thanks for looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, @marka53865769 . There could be a number of reasons you are unable to activate Photoshop Elements 12 on Windows 11. From your description it sounds like there could be a failure when the Elements 12 is receiving the approval to activate. I did check your account and there are activations remaining for the license of Photoshop Elements 12.

Is any other Adobe software installed on this computer? If not then please download and run the CC Cleaner Tool from https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html and choose the option to Clean up all. This will remove Photoshop Elements 12, and any other Adobe software, and give you the best chance of installing and activating Photoshop Elements 12 on Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was installed on a fresh copy of Win11 Pro, on a new PC, and the first Adobe software I installed.

Only other thing installed is Acrobat Reader.
So that seems like quite a long shot tbh. But ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I unstalled everything, and still had these things present

1   Creative Cloud Content Manager (CCX Process) (32 Bit)(5.2.4)
2   Adobe Content Synchronizer (CoreSync) (32 Bit)(7.1.1)
3   Creative Cloud Libraries Synchronizer (CC Library) (32 Bit)(3.25.5)
4   Adobe Id Credentials
5   Fix Host File

So I let it "Clean All".

I then tried to re-installed Elements 12, and had to look up my serial number again, and got this:

marka53865769_0-1713884808961.png

However fortunately I'd taken a note of it.
So did the reinstall.
And... identical results. Does the sign in on the phone or browser, app just quits, relaunching it just goes back to the same "sign in required" dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @marka53865769 unfortunately there aren't alot of troubleshooting steps to perform for Photoshop Elements 12. The reason I asked you to run the CC Cleaner Tool was to verify that no licensing or activation data was moved over to the new computer. People often move documents and files, even with a clean installation, so I wanted to confirm that cached activation data was not preventing the software from submitting an activation request.

I checked the activation history and there is still no recent requests to check on the activation status. This means that the software is not even contacting our servers to verify the amount of allowable activations that are remaining.

I am sorry, I don't have any additional suggestions for you to successfully use Photoshop Elements 12 on Windows 11, @marka53865769 . You may have more luck using it on a computer and operating system from the same time period as Photoshop Elements 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked fine on an fully updated Windows 11 before. The software itself isn't the problem, the new activation process (from this year) is. So that Elements 12 is old isn't really an excuse tbh.

My recommendation is to revert this unncecessary and clearly flaky new system and just let people install the software they already bought & paid for, using the contemporary process of a licence key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback, @marka53865769 . I am curious was the previous installation of Windows 11 upgraded from Windows 10 or earlier? Was it previously installed on the same computer from 2014 when the software was available for purchase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the folder timestamps it looks like it was (re)installed in 2018-12, so yes Windows 10 timeframe.

I'd reiterate that both the installer and the software itself worked fine on Win11, it was only the licence checker that went wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @marka53865769 . Lastly, please double-check that you are using the serial number that is registered under your account. This is the serial number I have been reviewing to see how many activations remain and if any recent requests have been sent. Information on how to locate the registered serial number can be found at https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/find-serial-number.html.

Currently there have been no recent requests to activate and activations still remain. Which is why it looks like a failure of the activation technology on the current computer, I am sorry I don't have any additional suggestions to offer beyond those you have already implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the above screenshot for what happens when I go to the product serial number page 🙄
The page was working when I started this, and yes I used that number.

The most recent attempts I used the one I had written down, which I assume is the same, and has some sort of validity checksum when entered in the install process.

BTW funny how if it's Elements 12 being old, or Win11, or my machine, that people keep posting same/similar problems on this and other threads. Have we at all considered buggy software is the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@marka53865769 please use a different device to access your account to registered serial numbers. You can reference https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/find-serial-number.html for a link to the registered products page.

The inability to access the registered products, nor for the software to send a successful activation request could be related. If you still can't access the registered products page, on other devices, @marka53865769 , then you may want to review the settings for the network itself to confirm that it is not blocking access.

You are right the software is quite old, you may want to consider a current release of photo editing software to see if you encounter the same problems. New or updated software licenses are often needed for new computers. You might also be amazed at some of the progress which has been made in Photoshop Elements since 2014.

I would still recommend verifying that you can view your registered products first, but if successful, then you can download a copy of Photoshop Elements 2024 at https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html?promoid=W6K8JLJC&mv=other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The serial number page is working again (it was working at the start of the issue also).

marka53865769_0-1714040058337.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with my photo elements 2020.  they told me it is my loss as I bought the disk and there is no longer support for deactivating this program online so if your computer crashes you are out your money.  I was able to finally get my really slow older computers to come up and did the sign out thing the customer service told me to do to no avail.  This should be illegal since we spent our money and we are suppose to own the softwear.  It is their way to force us into buying something we don't need.  I am over Adobe and all these companies that do this kind of thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Donna36996129gcbg sorry you are encountering problems activating Photoshop Elements 2020. A lot of enhancements were made but please try the suggestions that have been offered in the public discussion thread you responded too. I don't see any recent activation attempts nor have you exceeded the amount of allowable activations for the copy of Photoshop Elements registered under your account.

There are a number of things which can prevent Adobe desktop applications from contacting our servers and activating successfully. You will want to start at the top with confirming the serial number and then download and run the CC Cleaner tool to remove cached licensing and activation data that could cause the software to indicate the number of allowable activations have been exceeded.

For more information on how to troubleshoot activation errors see https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/activation-deactivation-help.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff A Wright, can you please look at this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines