• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will CS6 work if I update my software to macOS High Sierra 10.13.6?

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe CS6 (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign) installed and working on my Macbook Pro running macOS Yosemite.  I would like to upgrade to macOS High Sierra but am afraid that my Adobe CS6 applications won't work after the update.  Can someone confirm for me that they will work properly if I upgrade to High Sierra?

I know that there are discussions on this forum about new installations of CS6 on computers running High Sierra, and references to this link: Installing Creative Suite on macOS 10.12 (Sierra).  But I currently have CS6 installed on my computer and want to update my software, which may be a different situation.

Can an Adobe staff member help confirm for me whether my currently installed CS6 Suite will work if I do a software update to High Sierra from Yosemite?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

CS6 and earlier programs have not been tested and will not be updated for Mac El Capitan or later operating systems

-which means that you try to use CS6 and earlier at YOUR risk of having problems due to Apple updates

-Apple did not maintain backward compatibility with old programs in El Capitan or Sierra

No Adobe staff member will be able to answer your question, because Adobe no longer supports CS6 and as I said above, CS6 has not been tested by Adobe with new Mac or Windows operating systems

Proc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 and earlier programs have not been tested and will not be updated for Mac El Capitan or later operating systems

-which means that you try to use CS6 and earlier at YOUR risk of having problems due to Apple updates

-Apple did not maintain backward compatibility with old programs in El Capitan or Sierra

No Adobe staff member will be able to answer your question, because Adobe no longer supports CS6 and as I said above, CS6 has not been tested by Adobe with new Mac or Windows operating systems

Proceed at your own risk of problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help John.

Maybe a question that does have an answer is if anyone on these forums had Adobe CS6 installed on their machine and then upgraded to macOS High Sierra, and what happened?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS6 on Sierra. I upgraded to Mojave and realized it didn't work, so I'm just finishing up reinstalling Sierra. I would like to know as well if it works with High Sierra at least. My system is a bit of a mess after this 'downgrading'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed CS6 with Sierra and then upgraded to High Sierra and it's working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I am on the Mac platform and had to reinstall CS6 from scratch. We are using the application on an older Mac running High Sierra and it works great (except for Acrobat, which kept crashing until we updated it to v10.1.16).  Unfortunately, the server holding all the Mac CS6 update files has also been decommisioned by Adobe (end of life). I was able to locate "AcrobatUpd10116.dmg" and "Photoshop_CS6_13_0_6_upd.dmg", but cannot locate any of the other dmg update files. Do you have access to these other files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do NOT know if this will still work, or if Adobe had removed FTP as a possibility

Adobe FTP site is ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/ login: anonymous pass: password

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the server holding all the Mac CS6 update files has also been decommisioned by Adobe (end of life).

By @mc79499428

That's new to me. How did you get this info? Look here for more information: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo, yes the full application file dmg still exists and is available for download from Adobe (using our registered login), but once installed, the program will not update properly because the dmg update files have been decommisioned off Adobe server; the Adobe FTP servers only contain updates to two of the fifteen+ CS6 application suite programs (Acrobat and Photoshop), and these need to be run manually outside of the CS6 application (I already was able to obtain these two dmg files through another source); I think it is going to be someone uploading the rest of the dmg files from their personal backup; Adobe Technical Support advised us that CS6 has reached end-of-life regarding support and access to any update files (even though the product still works beautifully on our Mac OS running High Sierra...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ mc79499428

Not sure what you are doing or intending to do - please clarify. (A) Are you saying that you already have OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) installed on your computer (or server) and that you are intending to install (or have already installed) Adobe CS6............or (B) Are you saying that you "have been" using Adobe CS6 Suite and you are updating (or have undated) your OS to High Sierra?  As long as we are on the same basic subject, can you comment as to whether (or how) Adobe Illustrator CS6 and Adobe InDesign CS6 runs on mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an old thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kgladI can see that...............thanks for all the help.........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AppleAddict001 

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[illegal activity removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It disgusts me that Adobe wouldn't test to ensure ALL environments, old or new. And I bet it's because they can't make more money off us if we aren't forced to buy yet again upgrades to their software—software that is soooo expensive, that unless you are employed with a great salary, you can't afford to compete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has neither the time nor the money to retest old products on new operating systems. Even if they did, they wouldn't update the software if it was found not to run. CS6 is about a decade old at this point.

None of the Creative Suites will run on any MacOS from Catalina onward. Apple changed to all 64-bit applications, and the CS products were 32-bit.

People have managed to get CS4-6 running on Windows up through at least 10, I think, although I don't recall how that was done. 

The activation servers for CS5 and CS6 are on life support. They will eventually be shut down and installing/reinstalling the CS products won't be possible anymore, although existing installations will be usable.

CS-CS3 cannot be installed/reinstalled at all anymore.

CS4 can be installed, but only on a machine that has never had CS4 installed on it (and there's no telling how long that'll be possible).

Adobe does offer subscription plans that, as long as you're paying, will update for each release and patch that comes out. I think the All Apps plan is about $55-60/month, but that's still far cheaper than buying the CS was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has the time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines