• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Code colouring in dreamweaver 2017

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happened to the code colorouring? I'd like to have more control over the colors of particular pieces of code. It was possible to change it in the previous dreamweaver, why has it been removed? I have only 4 themes to choose, each of them is terrible. White is to light, dark is too contrasting with browser. For webdevelopers the most healthy option is lightgray background for code.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Hi everyone,

Please update to the latest version of Dreamweaver 2017.0.1 where most issues with code coloring have been addressed.

See Dreamweaver 2017.0.1 is now live  for more info.

This document  https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/customize-code-coloring.html has been updated to reflect changes.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can take control of code coloring in DW.  However, if you want to try different themes from 4 different dtyles then go to:

Edit >> Preferences >> Interface

See this picture:

2016-11-03_01-55-17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the previous version of dreamweaver I could decide which color where goes. I had lightgray background for the code, like this - #F0F0F0. I could choose whatever color I liked. Now it can be dark or white. Useless. White isn't good for the eyes, dark is good for backend developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get the 4 main interface theme settings, but only two Code Themes, Dark or Light.

All customization options from the last several versions (the Code Coloring menu option) have been removed.

I think it's a rather large step backwards.

Hopefully it gets added back in the next patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I overall don't mind the default "Dark" code theme, except I hate the low-contrast and hard to read grey color for comments. I really wish there was a way to further customize this. Why even be able to edit highlight colors, but nothing else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are brave enough, you can further customise the colours by going to the files contained in Configuration > CodeColoring folder.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesnt work. Nothing happens when you edit color codes from there. I tried to edit every single .xml file and nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is a .less file and once saved you have to re-start.  annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree the new code coloring is usable for me. I use the light text format and prior versions of dream weaver had perfect text contrast in my opinion. This is a serious downgrade. Also php code coloring is non existent for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new color scheme is very tiring for my eyes after just a few hours of coding. No ways to set crisper colors. I'm switching back to DW 2015.3, this version is unusable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done the same. Apparently whoever designed dreamweaver CC 2017 never coded anything in his entire life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2017 uses Brackets to display code, and the code coloring is controlled by two files - main.less and package.json.

There are different versions for dark and light themes, in two different folders.

On Windows, the path to the Dark theme folder is

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017\www\extensions\default\DarkTheme

The two files can be replaced by files from other themes, that can be downloaded here: Brackets Themes

There is no way to install these themes other than manually copying the two files to the appropriate folder.

I have noticed that not all themes on Github contain the .less file, but a .css file instead, not sure if those themes can be used in DW.

I'm using a light theme - GitHub - cithukyaw/DreamPHP: A dream theme for Brackets that simulates PHP coloring scheme of Dreamw...  - that I've modified by editing the main.less file.

It's probably a good idea not to overwrite the original files, but to rename them - which is what I did.

code-themes.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Per.  I have Brackets and I think there is an acceptable Code color Theme there that I can use with DW 2017.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another link that might be helpful -

Creating Themes · adobe/brackets Wiki · GitHub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per and all,

Any idea how to find/edit main.less and package.json Brackets style files on the MacOS Sierra operating system?

Thanks,

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LESS and JSON are just text files.  So you should be able to edit them in any version of DW or a plain text editor of your choice.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy, but I'm trying to locate those files on the Mac. Maybe they are named differently? I search and nothing comes up. Do you know which folder path they are within in the install?

dw_2017_folder.png

Thanks,

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also turn on Hidden Files & Folders in your Mac Finder.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it hidden on a Mac?

For the PC the new location is a standard, fully accessible folder, not a hidden one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it hidden on a Mac?

You're asking me?  I'm mac challenged.  Just covering all bases

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll find the files in the Mac equivalent of the Windows Program Files folder.

I don't use a Mac, so I'm not sure what it's called. Applications folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per Bernsten's solution above in this thread worked for me. I updated to DreamWeaver 2017 this morning and was shocked to find that custom code coloring has gone away. The default "dark" theme does not have what I need and it's a shame that the user has to hunt down a 3rd party theme and manually install it in the application's directory.

For me, the problem is two-fold: 1) default colors don't offer the same variety that they used to and 2) if you've customized your code coloring and have gotten used to a certain scheme it's really hard to switch to a new one because you might have spent a long time developing code and have always had a consistent means of quickly identifying things such as "function declarations are always light green" and "variables are always yellow" and that sort of thing. It's like upgrading to a new version and changing every instance of "$var" to "&var" in your code. It's just very awkward and sluggish to skim through code.

I've used the same color scheme for years and I'm overall dissatisfied to see a feature that was present and working removed for no apparent reason. I'm sure Adobe did it for a reason, but to us if you're not conveying that reason and giving us a chance to see where you're coming from then you appear to be just leaving us high and dry here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I felt the same way initially but then I found a code color theme I could live with from Github and the truth be told, I'm really liking it! 

OK, it's not for everyone but a step up from the stock dark theme I was looking at before. And PHP syntax highlighting is much improved with this theme (RubyBlue).

It's kind of like waking up to find the elves or fairies decorated your home for you (oh, how I wish).

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

The RubyBlue theme looks helpful. Can you share a link where you found it? And how we turn it on in DW 2017?

Thank you,

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new code color Theme.  See screenshot.

Replace contents of LESS file with the RubyBlue Theme from GitHub.

RubyBlue/RubyBlueTheme.less at master · Brackets-Themes/RubyBlue · GitHub

Save & close LESS file.  Go back to Preferences and Apply your newly created Theme.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines