Exit

CSS Class editing

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day, fellas

This may seem like a stupid noobie question, but here goes

I want to edit a paragraph´s size and shape, so.. I right click and go down the list and set a new size.

All the paragraphs get a new size.

I make a new CSS class with text column data open in the window-thing there, and  then all the other text column classes change, and text column disappears from the list.

I´m thoroughly confused at this point. I just to move a paragraph and, basically. Is there a better program to do this with, maybe? I want to be able to edit HTML and CSS and to be able to access the files, and you can´t do either of those on the online website builders I´ve found.

Help ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may seem like a stupid noobie question

By @Audun352967152tl2

No questions are stupid, only answers can be stupid.

So, here is my stupid response. Why are you wanting to edit a pargraph's shape and size? Please remember that a desktop screen has a lot more realestate than a mobile screen and that both media are used. A mobile screen probably more so than a desktop.

For me to understand more, please paste the code of the page here. That way I can see what you are doing and the result that you want to achieve.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being French, I'm not sure I understand quite well your question...

quoteI want to be able to edit HTML and CSS and to be able to access the files, and you can´t do either of those on the online website builders I´ve found.
By @Audun352967152tl2

So if the question is "Can I modify CSS and/or HTML files directly from the code in each appropriate files ?" The answer is yes, of course...

DW can do this, not only by opening the corresponding files (HTML, PHP, CSS...) directly, but also by placing your cursor over the relevant portion of HTML code and pressing Ctrl | Cmd + E, you'll get a quick CSS editor attached (or not) to the element in question.

Lena_0-1707315495040.png

Well, depending on your approach and the complexity of your HTML/PHP page inclusions, this won't always work as expected, but it is a plus somehow.

In any case, any code editor will always let you edit your code, except if you use proprietary internal code specific to the publisher, in which case you'll lose the internal mechanics linked to these specific lines of code (in the case of DW, DWT templates, automated live previews, SCSS management, etc.)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CSS crash course time...

.class (CSS Class)
Note the . in front of the name. These are usable within multiple elements across your page:
<style>.purpletext{color:purple;}</style>
<div class="purpletext">This div tag has purple text</div>
<p class="purpletext">This is a purple paragraph<p>

#id (CSS ID)
Note the # in front of the name. These are usable only once per page in your website:
<style>#maintext{color:red;}</style>
<div id="maintext">This is the main red text on each page</div>

p, a, link, div (CSS elements)
Note these are tag names and will affect every tag of type in the entire site, if using an external stylesheet.
<style>p{color:green;}</style>
<p>All p tags through the site will be green text</p>

It sounds like it's not making a class (which you have to type in with the . in front), but selecting the <p> element itself. DW's default method of making new CSS selectors is to use a chain of elements like "body p" or "body div article p" which is enormously unhelpful. 

The CSS Designer is bad. Here's how to use it though: https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/css-designer.html 

Under the Define CSS Selectors heading, in Step 2, bullet 2, it explains that when you want to use a class (a set of styles for repeated use across a page), you need to delete the suggested selector it gives you, and enter a class or id name including the . or #.

Once you have the .class and its properties set, it will be available in the Class dropdown in your Properties Window. Highlight the text again (it was unhighlighted when you deleted the suggested overly-general selector) and choose the class from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to edit a paragraph´s size and shape...

By @Audun352967152tl2

============

Short answer:  Use a <blockquote> tag.

See screenshot.

image.png

Definition and usage of <blockquote> tags for citations from other sources.

https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_blockquote.asp

Post back if you need more help.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea don't you think that using a structural element to simply affect a visual aspect may be inappropriate? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea don't you think that using a structural element to simply affect a visual aspect may be inappropriate? 

By @L e n a

=========

It's not inappropriate if it's symantically correct. 

I can't think of many reasons for using a smaller than normal paragraph unless it's being used for a blockquote, a figure caption, an ordered or unordered list, a copyright or some other structural element for which we have HTML tags.  Can you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you? 

Of course, but as you yourself say :

I can't think of many reasons for using a smaller than normal paragraph unless it's being used for a blockquote, a figure caption, an ordered or unordered list, a copyright or some other structural element for which we have HTML tags. 

By @Nancy OShea

Saying that, as there are many situations in which a paragraph can be presented differently from the others, not to mention pure specific page layout contexts : the latest paragraph news are always adorned distinctly from the oldest, page notes paragraph, asides paragraph, etc... that bring a lot of different structural tags for each purpose without necessarily being BLOCKQUOTE.

So you have to admit that directly opting for a BLOCKQUOTE structure without any question of context is still surprising.

Furthermore, I don't think I've read that @Audun352967152tl2  wanted to specifically present the paragraph in a smaller size, but to affect the size and shape of his paragraph as he saw fit.

I want to edit a paragraph´s size and shape, so.. I right click and go down the list and set a new size.

By @Audun352967152tl2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the crux of the problem is that most people think web design is the same as desktop publishing.  It's not. They are two very different types of media. 

Websites are viewed from browsers on multiple devices, screen sizes and resolutions.  Size is a relative term.

Desktop publishing is printed on a fixed width sheet of paper.  Size is expressed in precise values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the crux of the problem is that most people think web design is the same as desktop publishing.  It's not. They are two very different types of media. 

By @Nancy OShea

I'm afraid I didn't quite understand the connection with @Audun352967152tl2 's original question.

Opening the debate on the semiotic relationship between print and online content could be the subject of a new thread, I agree, but the current questioning isn't based on it, at least as I understand it.

As I see it, the question would be: "how to edit a CSS class or apply a different size to one or more paragraphs".

So in my opinion, the type of response expected may be a practical approach to intervening at the code level or DW's interface on how to use CSS, rather than delving into the philosophy of message representation, and/or its Responsive Web Design consideration.

Previously, you proposed using a BLOCKQUOTE tag as a categorical way to affect the size, which in my opinion is structural oriented. Unless @Audun352967152tl2 wishes to highlight a quote, this trick use isn't justified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines