• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CS5 where are the joomla linked php files

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a demo I saw a guy access the index.php file of wordpress and all the included / required php files come up, it was stated that this was the case for joomla! as well - is this the case? Because i follow the same steps as the guy in the movie, but with joomla and I don't get any php files to show...

TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Joomla! installed, but I have tested it with both Drupal and WordPress. If you have a testing server set up, Dreamweaver should recognize Drupal, Joomla!, or WordPress instantly when you select Site > Site-Specific Code Hints.

See http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setup_php.html for details on setting up a testing server for PHP in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get all of the linked files in Joomla but "Inspect" is not working for me - nothing shows or changes in the CSS Styles Panel when hovering over various elements. Wordpress and Drupal test fine for me both on showing linked files and "Inspect". Unfortunately I use Joomla more than either of the other CMS's.

The Joomla site shows as it should in Live VIew/Live Code which says DW understands the path to the template and its CSS. Hope there's a fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2010 May 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything worked on a couple of other Joomla sites I have including both "Inspect" and show of linked files. The site I was having trouble with apparently has some errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

You seem to be the only one out there that has set this up successfully for Drupal. Can you post some example settings? I've spent the last 5-6 days tryihg to get it to work with no luck. The page you link to doesn't really apply for Drupal, at least not their multisite capability as localhost/anything wouldnt work. I've setup a local domain as well as local testing server and remote production server and this isn't working. I'm getting unknown errors ( when I set things up literally (i.e. pointing to directories as all tutorials that are not Drupal specific suggest). And I get other errors when I try to set it up in a more Drupally way. I don't need a multi-page white paper. I'm just looking for an example multi-site directory structure as well as the proper settings for DW.

I'll even provide the site structure, that way all I need is the DW server folder settings. What settings in DW would work with the following site structure...?

Local url: local.example.com

Remote url: dev.example.com

folder structure locally (Mac):

/Users/username/Sites/sites/local.example.com

folder structure remotely:

/var/www/drupal/sites/dev.example.com

The above folders are where my files are, however, as you may know, all Drupal sites point to /var/www/drupal in Apache, Drupal figures out the folder based on the URL.

Does Dreamweaver CS5 not support Drupal multisite?

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I have a local Joomla site setup with WAMP. I have site specific code hints and Dreamweaver recognizes it as a Joomla site.  The site runs fine outside DW and displays correctly thus far inside DW.  I, too, am getting the "Dynamically-related files could not be resolved because the site definition is not correct for this server" error message.

I checked to see if the server is properly defined in DW by changing the index.php file for Joomla to the date/time file in your link on setting up a PHP server.  It displays properly.

This is the default, out of the box Joomla site with no changes to the code.  Yet DW cannot find the dynamically related files or *thinks* it can't.

If this is not a DW bug, then how does one make it run correctly?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Satirica,

This won't help much but I'm throwing in to add more light on the situation. I have maybe a dozen Joomla sites running locally under xampp - most of which are also on a remote production site - all of which mostly validate with no errors. However, when I tested them with DWCS5 some worked perfectly per the related files and several did not. All of these sites were developed by  copying/pasting source code in DW to debug and playing with paths for css etc. I tried to make sure no reminents of this was in the production files - and I can't say I found any. But after fiddling with the templates and main index page I got some to work - not sure what did it.It would help a lot if Adobe put out some information on what is required or how they identify the various CMS progs that needs to be in place in the template/theme files or in the root index.php to make sure the related files can be found as may sites already built have been modified a LOT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2010 Jul 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get the Joomla php files to show up?  I am using Dreamweaver cs5 and im having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I originally replied to this thread in May, I have installed a Joomla site. Dreamweaver CS5 finds the dynamically related files without problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I discover all my dynamic files fine...

I am even able to make changes to my .css and my .js files fine....

The problem -- when I actually want to change a "word or phase" on a page - no luck...

I click the Live Code button the left panel turns yellow and I see the "word or phase" I want to change --- As i know when the background is yellow we cant edit that.

So I click off the live code and the code for the "word or phase" disappears.

So I search and search for the "word or phase" in the code.... and i cant find it. Via the specfic .php page containing the content.

I see my front page folder --- I click on both the index.html and the default item.php files but the result is "restricted access"

I am working with a basic default joomla template.  http://creativematters-usa.com/joomla_2_10/

What am I missing?  I just cant find my  "word or phase" content so i can change...  My guess Joomla is set up different that wordpress?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never used Joomla! except to install and test it in Dreamweaver, so I can't give you Jooma!-specific help. However, I can describe how you work with WordPress. The principles should be the same.

Using Live Code is the same as using View Source in a browser. It simply shows you the HTML output generated by the CMS. To edit the underlying code, you need to understand the structure of the theme or template you are using. Open the relevant page in the theme or template, edit and save it. If Live View/Code are still activated, click the Refresh button in the Document toolbar, and you should see the effect of your changes.

Having a quick look at some Joomla! files, it seems as though most have this somewhere near the top:

// no direct access
defined( '_JEXEC' ) or die( 'Restricted access' );

So, if you try to activate Live View in one of those pages, all you'll see is "Restricted access". However, that's perfectly understandable. The way any CMS works is through index.php in the site root. Unless you view the result through index.php in the site root, Dreamweaver cannot process the PHP code correctly. If you need to access another page, hold down Ctrl or Cmd while clicking the link in Live View. In CS5, it's fully navigable, but you must start in the same way as you would in a browser. Alternatively, you can type the URL in the address bar of Dreamweaver's Browser Navigation Bar.

To give a simple example from WordPress, I wanted to change the output of the default header. In a WordPress theme, this is generated by a template file called header.php, which lives in wp-content/themes/theme-name/.

I opened index.php in my site root, and clicked Live Code to identify the ID of the div that I wanted to remove.

I then opened header.php in a separate tab, located the ID, removed the relevant code, and saved the file.

Finally, I clicked Refresh in the Document toolbar to update Live View and Live Code. The div and its contents disappeared from both.

Long story short: allthough Dreamweaver can locate dynamically related files, most of the time, the only ones you want to access through the Related Files toolbar are the style sheets or possibly external JavaScript files. For all other files, it's usually easier to open the relevant one(s) in separate tabs for editing, and refreshing Live View to see the result of your edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave - I totally follow you.. and no problem changing css and js stuff....

Open the relevant page (Thats the problem, i cant find it) in the theme or template, edit and save it.

If you need to access another page, hold down Ctrl or Cmd while clicking  the link in Live View.  The result below

http://creativematters-usa.com/joomla_2_10/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2010 Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I can't help you with the Joomla! file structure. It's quite possible that the word or phrase that you're looking for is generated dynamically from the database. I'm currently redesigning my main website, and used a backup of the WordPress database to create a local version, and couldn't work out why clicking some links took me to  my live site. It turned out that the links were being generated dynamically. Once I fixed the options in the database, everything worked as expected.

You could try using Dreamweaver's Find and Replace to search the Source Code of the entire local site. I find that very useful when trying to find the definition of a function in WordPress.

Good luck with your searches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you just hit the nail on the head....

I did the search and replace and sure enough I could find the content.

I hope adobe puts out something to help us Joomla users.

I am to green to go in and start messing with Data Base settings.....

Do you know of any other professional user that can help me?

Thanks a bunch for your insights....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't know anyone who uses Joomla! Most people that I know have taken one look at Joomla! and recoiled in horror at its complexity. The only reason I installed it was to make sure that Site-Specific Code Hints and Dynamically Related Files work in Joomla! in the same way as Drupal and WordPress. I'm sure Joomla! is fine when you get to know it, but studying any of the three major CMSs in depth is a time-consuming exercise.

I do happen to know that Adobe is planning a series of articles in the Adobe Developer Connection, one each devoted to working with WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla! in Dreamweaver CS5. However, I don't know when they're scheduled to be published. Hopefully, it shouldn't be too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much David....

I thought I was getting so behind in understanding this stuff...  I thought Joomla was a little over kill in complexity.

Things i heard, review and read:

Wordpress: awesome blog,  - very interface friendly  (some are definitly are using as there website)

Drupe: power for big data base usage - but not so interface friendly

Joomla: pretty good CMS - ok  interface friendly (No so great on the CSS overkill)

My stuggle is I am a designer forced to wear a CMS Hat, so I dont have the knowledge... nor the desire to learn pure hardcore PHP.

I miss the simplicty and interface of GoLive 4 thru 9. I used Macromedia Dreamweaver 1 thru 4 got tired of the (not made for designers), moved to Adobe' s Golive 4. You know what happened next. Now back with my hated Dreamweaver... However, I am quite impressed with this feature for CMS. All I have to do is get past this little bump and I should be good to go. LiveMotion was the same awesome... and easy for designers.

I do sure hope Adobe will go back and improve Dreamweaver like Golive --- for designers.  We honestly dont care for the code side of things, we just dont think like coders.

Again thanks so much for you knowledge and help.  Your info made my weekend... happy 4th!!!!  

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2010 Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cesarh2 wrote:

I do sure hope Adobe will go back and improve Dreamweaver like Golive --- for designers.  We honestly dont care for the code side of things, we just dont think like coders.

I hear this request frequently. I have also taken part in discussions with the Dreamweaver engineering team about this issue. Macromedia and now Adobe have spent a lot of effort trying to develop an interface that would enable designers to ignore the underlying code, but at the same time produce code that is efficient and accessible. So far, the efforts have been unsuccessful.

Dreamweaver used to have Layout Mode, which made it possible to lay out pages as in a desktop publishing program. The underlying code was a rat's nest. It also began to fall apart once you started trying to rearrange elements on the page. Thankfully, it was finally removed in CS4.

Another attempt at making life easier for "designers" was encouraging the use of "layers" (now called AP Divs). However, absolute positioning causes more problems than it solves, unless used in very specific ways.

The major reason that a program like Dreamweaver can't shield you from working with at least some code is that the web is a fluid medium. It's not like designing for the printed page, where everything is fixed  in points and picas or in millimetres. You're not designing for a fixed size. The situation isn't going to get any easier, because more and more people are now accessing the web on mobile devices, such as smartphones or tablets.

There is a reason Dreamweaver survived and GoLive was ditched. It's because Dreamweaver answers the needs of web design better than GoLive did. I'm sure the Dreamweaver team is working hard to find ways to make the program easier to use in a visual way. But the plain fact remains that if you're designing for the web, you need to understand the medium, and that means understanding the code. If you don't like working with code, it might be worth working in collaboration with a coding expert. Many people who are good with code are not comfortable with design, and vice versa. I'm currently redesigning my main website, but instead of creating all the artwork myself, I hired a designer to do it for me. He did a far better job that I could have done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave

I hear this request frequently. I have also taken part in discussions  with the Dreamweaver engineering team about this issue. Macromedia and  now Adobe have spent a lot of effort trying to develop an interface that  would enable designers to ignore the underlying code, but at the same  time produce code that is efficient and accessible. So far, the efforts  have been unsuccessful.  Good to hear they didnt just forget designers, it sounds like its just the tough nature of the WEB beast.

Dreamweaver used to have Layout Mode, which made it possible to lay out  pages as in a desktop publishing program. The underlying code was a  rat's nest. It also began to fall apart once you started trying to  rearrange elements on the page. Thankfully, it was finally removed in  CS4. Oh how I remember that layout mess....I tell people... designing for the web is like using Microsoft word to do your design work... hahahah  LOL

Another attempt at making life easier for "designers" was encouraging  the use of "layers" (now called AP Divs). However, absolute positioning  causes more problems than it solves, unless used in very specific ways. Sure does, but it is very nice to have, when you need it.

The major reason that a program like Dreamweaver can't shield you from  working with at least some code is that the web is a fluid medium. It's  not like designing for the printed page, where everything is fixed  in  points and picas or in millimetres. You're not designing for a fixed  size. The situation isn't going to get any easier, because more and more  people are now accessing the web on mobile devices, such as smartphones  or tablets.  ahahah you beat me to the the punch.... hahahaha  I was going to say the same thing.  You know what I have learn is there is sometimes alot of ways to get from point A to point B. For example if LOVE LOVE LOVE working with illustrator for all my web building, I personally dont like doing double building.  I build once for all my mediums... and Illustrator is so absoultly awsome for that. So correct... living pages is completety different than print. Being a 20 yr vertern in this biz...  100% print to 98% web in the last 5 years -- you gotta role with the punches to survive.

There is a reason Dreamweaver survived and GoLive was ditched. It's  because Dreamweaver answers the needs of web design better than GoLive  did. I'm sure the Dreamweaver team is working hard to find ways to make  the program easier to use in a visual way. But the plain fact remains  that if you're designing for the web, you need to understand the medium,  and that means understanding the code. If you don't like working with  code, it might be worth working in collaboration with a coding expert.  Many people who are good with code are not comfortable with design, and  vice versa. I'm currently redesigning my main website, but instead of  creating all the artwork myself, I hired a designer to do it for me. He  did a far better job that I could have done. hahaha again you beat me to the punch...  Thats kinda what I thought... I knew Dreamweaver had a strong hold on the code side, I do so miss the with work flow of GoLive.  (Just the interface still blows away Dreamweaver even today) Maybe one day they will get the interface sexy and smooth. hahah to funny....on my bigger clients projects, my coders will not let me touch dreamweaver... they HATE the code it generates. So I just give them art.  But for my smaller budget clients... doing our own html has to be done. I have to say this DW CS5 is getting major Kudos for dealing with this web beast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought I would share this as there seems to be a lot of confusion going on with editing Joomla in Dreamweaver CS5.

There is an inherent flaw in the ability to edit complex Joomla sites with CS5 because of the fact that may files are linked with absolute URLs. You can get your page to display and navigate fairly easy in CS5 but the easy editing showed in the demos only works if the linked files are referenced on your local server with relative URLs. Even though you may have the linked files on your local server, if they are being referenced on the domain sever with absolute URLs dreamweaver prompts you to get the missing file which of course will not help since you already have the files. You could hack your way through PHP files changing the code so it doesn't use absolute URLs but that defeats the purpose of all this doesn't it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your note.... hope they have a fix at some point....  i personally think they over kill the css in Joomla...

Again thanks....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem your facing here is that joomla content display is what the server outputs from a database, its not actually coded into the divs on the page. search and replace methods dont actually change what you have typed into your website via Joomla editors. It only changes whats being output to the server. You will still need to log into joomla and change your text . editing joomla in DW is not ideal for editing the actual content, but instead, the template, graphics, and scripting.The text is not "assigned" to the div your editing but rather called upon by php and requested from a Mysql database, completely separate from the actual template .

Its not the same as editing a static website, where the text and div formating are all in the same place.

hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed.....

Thank you, thank you, thank you thank you.....

Please tell the Adobe team to release that info....  I thought I was an idiot... I saw how easy it was with Adobe Dreamweaver cs5 / Wordpress tutorials.

I just couldt figure out what was going on with Joomla...  I just thought i once again was missing something...

My work around was to do what you stated....It would be cool to do all of it in Dreamweaver but I can live with this work around....

Again thank you thank you, you info here totally rocks...... Now i know I'm not crazy!!!!!

Now I can get back to designing....

Your info made my weekend... happy 4th....!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cesarh2 wrote:

My work around was to do what you stated....It would be cool to do all of it in Dreamweaver but I can live with this work around....

Unless I have misunderstood what you're saying, you seem to have missed the whole point of how Joomla! works and the role Dreamweaver plays. Joomla! is a content management system (CMS). So are Drupal and WordPress. Most of the time, you never touch any of the PHP files unless you are one of the CMS's core developers. The only files you ever edit in Joomla! are in the templates folder (or the wp-content/themes folder in Wordpress, or sites/all in Drupal).

The content that appears in the pages is stored in the database, and you must use the appropriate update form to retrieve that content from the database, and edit it there. Doing so is not a workaround, it's the way it's meant to work.

What Dreamweaver does is let you edit the styles in real time through Live View and the CSS Styles panel. It also gives more advanced users the tools to create custom themes and templates. But it does not control the content held in the database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave....

Toooo funny....  I am just being a BABY... I want it all in one program....  But you are right... CMS means  Content Management System.

hahahahaa ahhaahaha ahahhh   LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having pretty much the same issue with a Joomla site in DW CS5. Basically from what I can see, the CSS files are not loading even though DW knows they are there because they are available as linked files. But when I go in "inspect" mode, the CSS pane is completely empty. The template displays fine though so DW knows the CSS files are links to the page I am in.

For the past 5 years I cobbled up together a system in DW to do exactly this but requiring a simple "view Source" a local save and a search and replace to link the CS and JS files to the "static Sandbox" I created. That method is only slightly slower than this one if DW actually behaved. Since so far it doesn't, I'll be forced to keep working with my old method but I'll have the advantage of live view and inspect, which on a static page will work just fine and they will probably save me several trips to Firebug.

But I'll keep on working on this issue and with the experience I have in DW with Joomla if it is possible I am confident that I will figure it out. Right now I am basically a hair from having it work. I believe it's just a bit off due to the peculiar (for DW) path to the CSS files. Basically, I think DW expects them in a different place according to the Joomla code. Again, I believe that's due to the fact that the real index.php file in Joomla is the template file and that one is connected to the css files. But the new features force you to work with the global index.php file which is outside of the template system.

It may be as easy as moving the CSS files temporarily outside or teach DW how to fetch the right link.

I'll be waiting for the official Adobe tutorials on the matter and see if they have figured out something by then. If not I'll update my post here and let everyone know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines