Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver is not ablte to edit any wordpress .php files

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I´m having a hard time setting up my Wordpress site in Dreamweaver properly.

I´m on a windows machine using the latest DW 2018 build and xampp.

I want to edit my website which is already online, directly in Dreamweaver on my local computer. It is a wordpress webpage running on a PHP 7.0 hosting server with the Avada theme.

In DW I created a site with an ftp remote connection to my website, as well as a test server connected to the localhost, both connections were successfully established according to DW.

I have exported the database from the website and imported it in a new database in xampp, edited the wp-config and I can find all database folders in the Webassist database panel. Everything looks fine.

However, when I try to open a php site in DW, I can´t edit anything.

The error-code "Dynamically-related files could not be resolved because the site definition is not correct for this server." is popping up all the time.

In the design view I always get the error "Direct script access denied".

What could be the problem? A forum user from devshed told me that it could be the way I´m setting up the remote does not have write permissions. How can I fix that?

One other thing that I noticed is that when I try to download the files from webhost to localhost within DW with the arrow down icon, the download always stops after a short time and I have to download all the content manually with filezilla.

I hope you guys can help me! This is really urgent!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

it doesn't really work that way... you can do what you try and expect... but it will take longer and it is painfull that way... let me try to explain two points that we must consider

1 - once every files + database will be set in local host... that wont be enought to make the local WP run... you will have to handle different settings

1 - 1 you will need to reconfigure the wp-config.php file to set the database local user and password... many chance that it will be root and empty password and not

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not edit the wordpress files to create content, instead you must use the wordpress admin panel.

The only time you would edit the wordpress php files directly, would be to modify the php code, which if done incorrectly would break your entire wordpress site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesn't really work that way... you can do what you try and expect... but it will take longer and it is painfull that way... let me try to explain two points that we must consider

1 - once every files + database will be set in local host... that wont be enought to make the local WP run... you will have to handle different settings

1 - 1 you will need to reconfigure the wp-config.php file to set the database local user and password... many chance that it will be root and empty password and not any more the ones used on line by the remote server

1 - 2 you will have to reset in the wp_options table the record where option_name = url and set the option_value to your local url, idem for the record where option_name = home.... generally they are located in option_id 1 and 37

1 - 3 you will have to replace in all post located in wp_post table every where where you use your online url and replace it by the local URL...

the best way for points 1 - 2 et 1 - 3 is to export your database, handle the search and replace in a correct text editor and then reimport the database... you can have an article there Transférer son site local sur un serveur de production – Puce et Média if you have trouble to localise it (its in french), please let me know I will try to do it...

as I told you when starting this message there are two points... so the second... is ...

why would you like to edit your web site locally... because, if you do it that way... you will have to follow point 1 - 1 to point 1 - 3... then when you will be done for editing, you will have to do it the same, but in the other way...

generally when we deit WP lovcally, it is just because we need to edit a PHP plug in, of a child template, or a template... but we never touch locally to the pure content... just the nuts...

does this makes sense ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your replies!

What I want to do in DW is not editing the php code.

I want to style some pages I created online in the Wordpress admin panel.

There are a few things that you cannot even change with custom css within Wordpress, unfortunately.

I always thought that most developers use Dreamweaver or other similar tools to edit and maintain CMS templates and then upload them to the host servers.

@Birnou:

It would be really cool if you could guide me to the english version. I love France but I´m afraid my french isn´t good enough to understand the whole article

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is only to apply to certain pages, then you probably want to create a 'child theme' for wordpress, see -

https://theblog.adobe.com/designing-wordpress-child-themes-with-dreamweaver-cc/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have different ways... let me know if ones fits your needs, if not I will manually translate the article

1. ask google
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pu...
  2. check an alternative article
    How to Move Content From One WordPress Site to Another - WPMU DEV
    I haven't read it...
  3. use the wordpress codex Changing The Site URL « WordPress Codex

let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

google translate worked fine

Lots of great info there, I think I´ll try the Duplicator and come back to report.

Migrating the complete site from one server to another, within wordpress is an option I didn´t think about until now.

Thank you so much @Birnou and @pziecina for your support! I really appreciate it

Jessi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if google translate works fine, there are different others WP's articles, there, that could interest you, as :

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understanding WordPress Themes and how they work is essential for customizing.

WordPress Theme Customization Guide | Press Coders

If you want to check work locally, you need a local testing server with WordPress installed.

Pick one of the Apache servers below and follow their installation instructions.

See Setting up a PHP environment in Dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setup_php.html

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the OT said in first phrase that she was using xampp... so the step of questionning is further than installing it... don't you think ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines