• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Transfer failed

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since last week I am getting an error message everytime I upload an image, whether a new image or when I choose "should dependent files be included".

File Transfer failed due to following reasons: - Internal data error: Transferred file size does not match the expected file size.

This occurs on two web sites though I have not tried it on all my websites.

I am able to successfully upload all the images using Filezilla, which I am having to do as a work around.

Has a setting been changed since the latest update? I can't see anything obvious.

There is a post about this in 2018, but not resolved.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer Dreamweaver's site management features. Other code editors have nothing similar. 

I have no problem with site management when using Wappler

I have yet to find a single tool that does everything to perfection. ðŸ˜‰

Wappler:

• Has its own servers for PHP or for NodeJS. The only local server requirement is for a database.
  • Has a built-in database manager, no need for PhpMyAdmin.

In fact, I do not use any other tool except for thNodeJS app that I have created to resize my images and re-format to `webp`.

This octogenarian is super happy! 😊

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wappler is for advanced web app developers who want a visual app builder. Priced at USD $62/month for individuals or $100/month for businesses, it's significantly more than Dreamweaver's $21/month plan.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say, I was having the same issue with 21.3 except for me it was several .php files. When it happened, it not only failed to upload the files but also deleted the file that was already on the server. I ended up having to use Filezilla to upload files - that worked but it was an extra step that I don't appreciate having to take considering Adobe is paid software. 

I tried every fix recommended at https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/troubleshoot-sftp-server-connection-issues.html and none of them worked. I had my IT guys spend hours (which cost me several hundred dollars) going over our two server's implentations of SFTP to make sure everything was the newest security standards. Nothing fixed the issue except downgrading to Dreamweaver version 21.2 -- that fixed everything and is working as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want a free solution, have a look at Visual Studio Code - Code Editing. Redefined

I have gone a step further with Wappler - The Visual Web App Creator

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I second @BenPleysier as a free alternative, I agree that VSC is a truly amazing editor... once tried, it's adopted... plus coupled with https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Natizyskunk.sftp... impressive, everything is set in JSON... That's off the hook!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with Dreamweaver 21.3 uploading small files, for example a WordPress stylesheet:

style.css / 52kb

Had been using FTP over SSL/TLS (explicit encryption) with a GoDaddy VPS (Virtual Private Server) cPanel apache account.  Found that plain FTP worked with the normal FTP account (IP address, username & password).

Then discovered that SFTP worked if I used the cPanel username & login credentials, so switched over to this encrypted method.  Only FTP over SSL/TLS (explicit encription) kept failing.  Thought to add this solution to the thread if it helps someone.

Aly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently updated our cPanel servers and started running into this issue after getting everything updated and configured with the new hardware and updated versions of WHM/cPanel. Historically we were using FTPeS for our connection and it was working great, but after the updates this error suddenly came up.

For security purposes, we had disabled standard (unsecured) FTP and only allowed FTPeS or FTP over SSL/TLS (explicit encryption) over port 21.

However, thanks to our amazing server support team, they determined that Dreamweaver was attempting to connect to the FTP server using old deprecated SSL algorithms. On our servers, we had to explicitly disable these old ciphers to fix this Dreamweaver issue. If you have your own cPanel servers, you can go into WHM -> Service Configuration -> FTP Server Configuration and update the value in the TLS Cipher Suite field. We currently have ours set to HIGH:!SSLv2 which To my understanding, we added the ":" as the delimiter and the "!" in front of SSLv2 tells the server to disallow the use of the old deprecated SSLv2 cipher for FTP connections.

This should restart the FTP server once you save the changes and instantly fix the Dreamweaver FTPeS connection error.

NOTE: I can't take credit for this as it was our amazing server support team over at GigeNET that helped me figure this all out. Is it a server issue? I'd say no. I believe this is purely a Dreamweaver/Adobe issue since it is due to them attempting to use outdated and insecure SSL ciphers that are no longer relevant.

Hopefully, this will help someone out there struggling with the same issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattk5756347 Awsome solution if you have root control of cPanel and good to know the primary cause of the issue for everyone.  With VPS shared hosting unfortunately we do not have root control of cPanel so I guess my workaround of using SFTP has its place as a solution for people in a shared hosting situation.

Ideally Adobe would update Dreamweaver but as it is not the case, these are workable solutions hopefully.

Aly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @AlyGr 
Yes, unfortunately, this won't work for everyone. But, it does shed some more light on the issue. Obviously, there is a variety of options within Dreamweaver for how you configure your FTP connection and every hosting environment is different. It really just comes down to how your servers are configured and managed as to what combination will work for you. SFTP will only work if the server is configured for it and the ports are active - so it isn't always an option either. cPanel has a ton of default settings when being configured and many of them may not align with various security preferences and requirements determined by the hosting provider.

If Dreamweaver wasn't using the dated SSLv2 cipher in their connection, this wouldn't be a problem. But, FTPeS seems to default to it and the current versions of cPanel are not supporting it - so the upload fails. Hopefully they will fix this at some future date!

Good luck everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattk5756347 All good points, thanks for contributing to the common knowledge and solution pool.

Aly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Dreamweaver?

I ask because the current version (21.3) was updated with security enhancements.  See link & screenshot below for details.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/whats-new/2022-1.html

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sad to report as fast as we found a "fix" for things, it proceeded to break again. I was on 21.3 and continued to have issues and this is what brought me here and sent me down this rabit hole. Our server admin was watching the connection methods and verified how Dreamweaver was connecting via FTP and that it matched my connections from FileZilla. Only Dreamweaver 21.3 is having the FTPeS file transfer error... even after our additional server configuration changes to exclude SSLv2 like mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately, after messing around I'm losing my patience here and gave into reinstalling Dreamweaver 21.2 as others have mentioned.

Frustrating for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FileZilla is my go to S/FTP client.  It's the one most recommended by commercial web hosts because it's reliable & updated regularly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea While I agree FileZilla is an excellent tool, for those of us who have used Dreamweaver for years, are used to the interface, like the interface and just want it to work, we just want Dreamweaver to work and not to have to move to FileZilla.

Our options are rapidly diminishing as Dreamweaver seems to be abandoned and moving to end-of-life status.  Just intended as a perspective and no criticism of the suggestion of using FileZilla.

Aly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's disappointing, I know.  But Dreamweaver is what it is.  Using it alongside other tools is the best advice I can offer.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/dreamweaver-discussions/bootstrap-5/m-p/14046967#M225831

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sad that this is where we are at with things. I love Dreamweaver and have used it for nearly 20 years now. I might not use all the features, but it was a solid program for years. The integrated FTP capability made it super convenient for coding, testing and publishing. If I have to use a separate FTP program, it defeats the purpose... I might as well use a different coding program altogether at that point.

I just installed VS Code this week and might be switching to that soon, sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed VS Code this week and might be switching to that soon, sadly.

By @mattk5756347

===========

VS Code is a solid IDE with lots of free extensions.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is April 2024 and I am having this same issue, attempting to upload files to a turbify.com web server using dreamweaver. They require an FTPS connection along with TLS 1.2 protocol support. As with others, filezilla works fine. Something is broken in the latest version of DW in CC, and I can't believe it has stayed broken for almost 2 years. it is very frustrating for our devs at Kallen Web Design.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe announced 4 years ago that DW was no longer going to receive any real updates like new features or bug fixes. The plan is for just security patches, OS compatibility patches, and third-party library updates (and they're pretty behind on at) going forward.

It's only being kept on life support for the current userbase. I imagine it doesn't have a whole lot longer before they announce it's going the way of  GoLive and Muse, probably once the current userbase dwindles to a predetermined cut-off point.

If FZ works, use it. DW's FTP limitations aren't likely to change before the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AuctionHugh,

Dreamwweaver is web authoring software.  It's not as advanced as dedicated S/FTP clients like FileZilla.  But Dreamweaver connects to most commercial web hosting servers. 

If you're experiencing problems with a public or private key file, make sure it's a .pem key.   See links below for more tips.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/dreamweaver-discussions/sftp-ssh-using-public-key-file-not-working/td...

TROUBLESHOOT FTP CONNECTIONS

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/troubleshoot-ftp-issues-dreamweaver-cs6-cc.html

TROUBLESHOOT SFTP CONNECTIONS

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/troubleshoot-sftp-server-connection-issues.html

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your response. I definitely do not expect adobe to add new features to DW, but when they introduce a bug with a new version I would like to think they will correct it back to normal functioning.

Hugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have several servers with different web hosts and DW has no problem connecting with any of them.

Have you talked to your hosting provider to ensure you're using the correct settings for your server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines