• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there any way to display the Design View in fluid grid pages?

Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to the newest version of DW CC 2014, I noticed that the Design View is disabled in Fluid Grid pages. You can only use the Live View to edit those pages. The Design/Live button displays on non-fluid pages.

I'm wondering if there is a work-around to allow Design View editing on fluid pages. It is a major hassle to try to edit some things in the Live View. It would nice to have a choice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 12, 2014 Oct 12, 2014

@Ron

Ron, thanks for your idea.  I just tried this to my fluid grid css file, and it worked!  The odd thing (at least in my mind) is that the code (shown below) is commented out.  So, even though my web pages ignore this commented out code, Dreamweaver does not... it uses it to control how the Dreamweaver program operates. Well, I guess that this can happen.  This code acts like a "directive" to the Dreamweaver program.

One noticeable change is that in Live view I no longer see the grey strips sho

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 265 Replies 265
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evidently, there's no option to change this.  Apparently this was an intentional move to promote more people to use Live View for editing.  See the New Features below.

helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/whats-new.html

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.

If it was intentional a s way to promote some new feature, it was a pretty lame thing to do. No one wants features forced on them.

One good example of problems with Live View editing is that unordered lists must be hand coded.

Thus far, my work-around is to either use CS6 or to use a second non-fluid style sheet to allow major editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ron,

We understand that it is always difficult to work with new features, but once you get used to it we assure you that you'd never want to go back.

The older Fluid Grid framework used to rely on an outdated browser engine. This time we have replaced it with the Chromium Embedded Framework.

What it means for you is that, you'll get the same rendering in Live View as you'd expect in Chrome or Safari. So, you'll be spending less time switching between the browser & DW.

If you can list down the workflows you are trying while editing in Live View & the issues you are facing in doing so, it will help us understand what is amiss & suggest alternative workflows to do the same.

Let us know !

-Subhadeep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The complaint is not about the features of Live View but the fact that Design View is not available for Fluid Grid pages. There is no logical reason to disable Design View for Fluid pages.

If I do not want to work in LIve View, I should not have to be forced to use it. That is a poor business practice.

As far as problems with editing in Live View go, a few are::

• The pages take forever to load
  • You cannot readily add items to lists without going into the Code View

I am sure there are others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 30, 2014 Oct 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron Kurtus wrote:

As far as problems with editing in Live View go, a few are::

• The pages take forever to load

Ron,

If you have files which are particularly slow to load in Live VIew, can you just mail them across to me at subbaner_@_adobe.com.

We are investigating issues related to slow loading and would appreciate if others can also send their files related to slowness in Live View.

Thanks,

Subhadeep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this investigating includes replacing design view or adding a function equal or better then design view. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dont get it.... it is pointless to send you files they are ALL slow,  there are several forums that report this issue , and you have read them all, this is something wide spread enough that it can easily be replicated in the adobe lap,

but you totally MISSED the bigger point.. the slowness is a symptom of a broken system... the removal of the design view and have a broken unfit live view crammed down our throats is the problem...

This is not Alpha/Beta software, we  are all PAYING customers who are paying for BROKEN software~~ It is maddening how little participation that Adobe has in these forums to assist in resolving customer issues.

This discussion should be an opportunity for Adobe to give us a road map of features and benefits that are to resolve this issue ~ The issue on topic is Design View removed, Live View broken~

Those of us that have chosen to develop websites using the Adobe fluid grid have been strangled to near non functioning software that we are paying , and paying well for. The people that have posted here are a small micro number of the

people effected, and these issues deserve a more responsive feedback from support and development.... at this date since the release of 14.1 to have you say you are investigating slowness in Live View is near unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hear hear! I agree with Mark.Kirkeby.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"near unacceptable"

I will say it is unacceptable.

With Adobe showing a combination of indifference to our concerns, and priorities to keep live view I am researching DW Alternatives.

Anyone have suggestions to solutions that contain design view type abilities?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your are absolutely right it is unacceptable

...and  to be told to roll back to earlier versions is not a fix at all ... why pay $50 per month for old software ????

I have been researching alternatives and have downloaded the best alternative which I have found ... Pinegrow  (pinegrow.com) and have been playing with it for a few weeks now and have found it excellent and fast. There is a learning curve and It does not have all the bells and whistles yet as it is new and has a way to go but it is a great start. So by time my version of CS6 on disk is not supported by my operating system I am sure this software will have grown and developed some.

Having said that I really don't want to desert DW so hopefully some fixes for Live/Design view and the slooooooooowwwww speed of the thing will be coming

The DW engineers might like to look at it as a reference as to where a live view needs to be. Did I say its fast?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the issues that I have is that I have a huge amount of money invested in Dreamweaver Extensions, and some I use in nearly every site that I design. for 15+ years I have been happy with Dreamweaver, and really cant imagine using another software,

I have played with a couple of wysiwyg editors that created ugly horrendous code, and made all sorts of weird directories and such, these were barely better than Front Page (shudder to remember taking on maintenance of a site built in FP).

Recently I have attempted to use Mcaw and Pinegrow, but both choke on existing Fluid Grid pages. After  about 16 years(think I started in '99) of using Dreamweaver for development I really cant imagine using anything else. I have had to revert to CC (pre 2014) as it is the only current version in CC.

I am trying another tonight WYSIWYG Website Builder I am certain that I will be disappointed again,looks like is made for non designers, I always cringe when I see no need to know HTML... sigh

**no do not bother with first appearances is it uses MS Word as a back end, and does not open HTML files, pure junk....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2014 Oct 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This a reply to both TS and Mark.

I don't want to dump DW either as I have been through a string of editors (Homesite,Frontpage (barf), MS expressions, and now DW). For me a measure of any business I spend money on isn't the mistakes they make, but how they fix them. Even a total face plant like this recent update I am ok with. I am ok reverting to old software. I am not mad that my extensions blew up with this update and getting them fixed. What makes me mad is I have yet seen a Adobe staff member acknowledge the problems these have caused. Every response I have seen appears to be a careful dance to avoid talking about it and to continue to force us down a path that does not work and that we do not want.  The fact they think they can pacify us by inviting us to online meetings of sorts for issues, or wanting us to send them our files for testing. THAT IS NOT OUR JOB ADOBE.. THAT IS YOUR JOB. We pay for your software that you build and when necessary.. fix

Want us to be beta testers?.. Then pay us to do that job.. or at least give us the software for free. I call that reasonable trade for us helping you do YOUR work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2014 Oct 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark.Kirkeby wrote:

... I have had to revert to CC (pre 2014) as it is the only current version in CC.

You can get the June release of CC2014 at the links below, if you like...

PC: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dreamweaver/win/cc/Dreamweaver_14_LS20.exe

Mac: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dreamweaver/mac/cc/Dreamweaver_14_LS20.dmg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first comment here is a thank you for a solution  that I can't see...

Whats my problem?  You already killed GoLive (like you did Freehand) which was far and away easier to use than Dreamweaver. You are already forcing me to completely rebuild 200 pages that were done in GoLivel. I got several pages redone in Fluid and just as I started to get the hang of Fluid you decide I should use Live View and hand code all this. I'm a designer, not a code monkey. I have better things to do with my time. And I've spent way too much money on Dreamweaver updates to afford a coder. Live is not very user friendly... everything I select deletes when I try to edit it outside of code. My hot spots can't be edited, and my Photoshop sliced background can't be replaced with a new one.

How stupid is it to take a visual design tool and force us to use code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver has never been a "visual design tool."  If you can't or won't learn to work with code, you should be using Muse, not Dreamweaver.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver was originally billed as the best of both.. code and visual. It never has been. What I object to the most is that they own the best visual web tool and they shelved it.
I used that tool to create my site in the first place... before Macromedia bought it out the German kid who wrote it, and before Adobe bought Macromedia. Same is true of Freehand but don't get me started on that subject. I'm hoping that AutoDesk's purchase of iDesign, which they now call Graphic, will solve that problem.

Reinstalling an older version o Dreamweaver just causes other problems, it doesn't really solve anything. Which is why I just spent the last few days designing 85 of the core pages from scratch. In the process I discovered that sometimes copy and paste takes all the linked attributes with it and sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes you have to tell link where its supposed to go many times before it actually gets the message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you drop back to an earlier version of DW -- before they removed Design View from the (legacy) Fluid Grid Layouts?

You can get DW 2014 June release from links below and have it running side-by side your other versions:

Win: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dreamweaver/win/cc/Dreamweaver_14_LS20.exe

Mac: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dreamweaver/mac/cc/Dreamweaver_14_LS20.dmg

But I still say DW is not a visual design tool.  To get the most out of it, you must be able to work with code at least some of the time.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is really a short-sighted new feature.

One cannot run spell-check, and many other features in Live view.  It is also nearly impossible to copy webpage content, and paste it into another webpage.

Please explain how to do this in Live view (when using fluid grids)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This gets even more interesting.  I just discovered that if you create a new webpage based upon a fluid grid template, that initially, one can switch between design and live view.  Also, spell check is available.  But if one saves and closes this file, then reopens it, you cannot switch to design view.  Hmmm, so even Adobe didn't get this totally correct about not being able to have Design View with fluid grids.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is expected behavior since DW doesn't know what an Untitled document is until you actually save and name it.   The same is true for other files like DW Templates and PHP pages.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the expected "user" behavior is that they are allowed to spell check a webpage only at the time when a brand new webpage is being created, but not when editing it?  Really!

I think this problem can be easily fixed by allowing "Design" mode to be provided at all times, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not disagreeing with you about spell check.  I think Live View needs more work before it can be used as a viable replacement for Design View.  My advice is to post this under New Ideas in this forum and let people vote.  You'll find it under Actions > Create an Idea.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I will post under actions.

So, you are saying that "live view needs more work before it can be used as a viable replacement for Design View", yet, Live View has replaced Design View in DW2014.1!  Design View is gone (if you are using fluid grid webpages).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use FluidGrids.  It's far easier for me to code my own CSS Media queries.  Or sometimes I use a responsive framework like Bootstrap.

Foundation Zurb

http://foundation.zurb.com/templates.php

Skeleton Boilerplate

http://www.getskeleton.com/

Initializr (HTML5 Boilerplate, Responsive or Bootstrap)

http://www.initializr.com/

DMX Zone's Bootstrap FREE extension for DW

http://www.dmxzone.com/go/21759/dmxzone-bootstrap/

Project Seven's Page Packs (Commercial CSS Templates)

http://www.projectseven.com/products/templates/index.htm

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines