Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] Dreamweaver-What exactly am I buying

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I am using Dreamweaver 6 and I am considering buying the latest CC version. Well, renting it I guess.

I don't own ANY subscription applications, because I don't agree with this model.

Now, having said that I am considering DW CC whatever......

What do I get for my $240 a year?

yeah, I see

• Includes: 100GB of cloud storage, Adobe Portfolio, Adobe Fonts, and Adobe Spark with premium features

Do I get to download an application or am I stuck using an online version?

Depending on the answer above, do I have to store my files in the cloud, or can I store my files locally?

What is Adobe Portfolio, Adobe Spark, and where can I learn about the fonts?

To be honest, not really an Adobe fan, because finding anything on your site always seems to be a nightmare.

Frankly, I don't even expect an answer to these questions......

Great way to start, eh?

Thank you

Rich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

#1 Creative Cloud is NOT cloud-based software.  CC desktop apps install on your OS just the same as before.

See system requirements.  Adobe Creative Cloud system requirements

#2 Work files are under your control.  You may store them wherever you wish.  The optional Cloud Stroage is useful when synchronizing with other devices or collaborating with people but it's not required that you use it.

#3 IMO, Creative Suite 6 is not better than CC (it's 9 versions behind).  But if you find you need it for

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 113 Replies 113
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/VL+Branko  wrote

So I understand that your real complaint is that Adobe should be such a complete system that extensions would be unnecessary. I can agree with that but,  it seems, that will never happen. So we are therefor thankful for P7 and other extension makers.

Exactly what do you refer to when you say "Visual Studio Pro?"

You are correct in what I am saying, but as you say, 'it will never happen'. Mainly because to do so it would require a very good understanding of exactly what is required.

Regarding VS Pro -

If you read -

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/designers/designing-xaml-in-visual-studio?view=vs-2017

you will see that when creating Windows programs, (or apps) even MS has recognised that creating the UI and many of the components, a visual method of doing so is very helpfull. It is possible to use MS Blend to create web UI's if one knows what to add and remove. When MS first introduced Blend many programmers, (coders) did not want to use it, but now there are not many who do not use it.

Having the option to create UI's and components visually for web sites, would I think follow the same course, in that many would initially object, but after they had tried it, it would be a 'must have' method or feature. A lot of the functionality that Blend creates still requires coding knowledge in order to change how it works, so no one is left out. It becomes a collaboration or combining of skill sets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/VL+Branko   wrote

So I understand that your real complaint is that Adobe should be such a complete system that extensions would be unnecessary. I can agree with that but,  it seems, that will never happen. So we are therefor thankful for P7 and other extension makers.

Exactly what do you refer to when you say "Visual Studio Pro?"

You are correct in what I am saying, but as you say, 'it will never happen'. Mainly because to do so it would require a very good understanding of exactly what is required.

Regarding VS Pro -

If you read -

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/designers/designing-xaml-in-visual-studio?vi ew=vs-201...

you will see that when creating Windows programs, (or apps) even MS has recognised that creating the UI and many of the components, a visual method of doing so is very helpfull. It is possible to use MS Blend to create web UI's if one knows what to add and remove. When MS first introduced Blend many programmers, (coders) did not want to use it, but now there are not many who do not use it.

Having the option to create UI's and components visually for web sites, would I think follow the same course, in that many would initially object, but after they had tried it, it would be a 'must have' method or feature. A lot of the functionality that Blend creates still requires coding knowledge in order to change how it works, so no one is left out. It becomes a collaboration or combining of skill sets.

Knowing what is required would be simple, just have to see what extension builders are selling. That would give a major clue.

Regard VS Pro, that is what I thought you meant but just wanted to make sure. But, I notice that even VS Pro has extensions and plugins available to enhance its utility. (-: I guess there will always be someone who can think of a way to make something better.

Is the "Community Edition" worth downloading?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The community edition will give you what is probably the best code editor going, (they had over 40 years to perfect it). The one problem with the free version is that for web development you will require the 'web developers extension', and a lot of the visual functionality of that extension only works in the full version, but code hinting and completion for html, css, js and jQuery is also very good.

If you are developing server side, the php extension must be paid for, but for C# everything is built in. Databases are limited to MSSQL in the free version, and requires the MSSQL DB managment tools, they are also primarily for stored procedures and transactions, so 'standard' Mysql Dw type code is self coded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that information. If I ever want to go that route now I will know what to use. I did download a copy and will take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am on vacation, and perchance, landed up here today because I wanted to see what's going on. This discussion has run its  course, and I am locking it. I would prefer that other people with moderation rights like mine not unlock it unless there is a valid reason to do so.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VL Branko...you have summed up my situation to a "T".....

I agree with your assessment 100%, because I am in the exact same situation as you are.

Thank you for expressing your thoughts so clearly.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Wappler being a good example) offer much more for the cost.

I've not used Wappler but when I look at the pricing its ā‚¬49 euros per month for the pro version, that doesn't seem particlulary cheap for a single app... Maybe I'm missing something? In the UK tax (VAT) is 20% so thats taking the cost close to ā‚¬60 euros per month for people who can't claim back the tax (that could include a lot of freelenacers in the UK) . That in my book is not good value or cheap for a single app, it would have to be pretty spectacular for me to consider that good value.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Energize  wrote

I've not used Wappler but when I look at the pricing its ā‚¬49 euros per month for the pro version, that doesn't seem particlulary cheap for a single app... Maybe I'm missing something? In the UK tax (VAT) is 20% so thats taking the cost close to ā‚¬60 euros per month for people who can't claim back the tax (that could included a lot of freelenacers in the UK) . That in my book is not good value or cheap for a single app, it would have to be pretty spectacular for me to consider that good value.

What is missing from the price comparison, is all the features that are standard in Wappler, but require the purchase of extensions for in Dw.

Don't get me wrong here, but I think Wappler is aimed more at the market that Dw once catered for, (server side requiermments, built with visual helper features, so not limited to coders). Once you add the costs of those extensions on a subscription base, then Dw almost doubles in cost compared to Wappler.

I'm not a fan of Wappler because the code editor is simply terrible, but for none coders who require server and database code, Dw offers nothing. If on the other hand someone does not require server/database code, then Pinegrow would be my choice for none coders.

Both those programs offer something for none coders, and like everything else in life both a matter of choice, depending on user requirements. Dw on the other hand is not for serious coders, or for none/casual coders, who simply want to use a simplified site layout UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaed Wappler for a quick look, like you say the code editor is basic at the moment but thats their market. As far as I can see the version I downloaded for free doesn't allow me to test-drive the features/extensions included in the Pro version, so not much for me to look at if I were a serious customer.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of a full 'trial' version of Wappler is a major drawback, as I personally would never buy any web dev program without first trying it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Energize  wrote

I just downloaed Wappler for a quick look, like you say the code editor is basic at the moment but thats their market. As far as I can see the version I downloaded for free doesn't allow me to test-drive the features/extensions included in the Pro version, so not much for me to look at if I were a serious customer.

It does allow you to test drive all the features but you have to sign up and hand over your credit card details first l think then cancel if you are not happy within  the stipulated period of time stated for either the monthly or yearly subcription model, both have different amounts of time you can test drive the programme.

My biggest issue with it is it produces its own unique coding if you want to take advantage of all its front end and back end components. That may be bad for your clients as the code is not industry recognised or standard.

Having said that if youre not a full time web developer and have zero desire to be so but are just producing a few websites for friends or even yourself its a fantastic bit of kit.

The code editor itself is currently quite poor in my opinion but to be fair it never set out to be a code editor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to know why this subject has been unlocked. And right after that, I would like to know exactly what proof you have of collusion and why you are accusing 2 of my customers, and me, of conspiring to... what exactly did we conspire to do? And after that I would like a very heartfelt and very genuine apology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you responding to me AL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was responding to what you said. Not to you. Sorry. Consider this a correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines