• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove Adobe Updater from OS X menu bar?

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Mac OS X 10.7.4 on a MacBook Pro. The menu bar is getting cluttered. I have Adobe Dreamweaver and Photoshop (and  Reader). Is it necessary to have the Adobe Updater icon on the menu bar?  If it is not necessary (if its function can be otherwise accomplished), I would like to remove it. How is that done? Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Just tested on another machine. CC 2015, Yosemite 10.10.4.

Confirming my steps as well:

• Navigate to: Applications/Utilities/Adobe Creative Cloud/ACC/ 
  • Rename Creative Cloud app to Creative Cloudx -requires password
  • Go to menubar and click the AAM icon and select updater
  • Click preferences
  • uncheck notify me of new updates, icon should disappear from menubar
  • rename Creative Cloud app to original name -requires password

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I'll try specifically clicking the AAM icon in the menu bar when I next have a chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked wonderfully for me. Thanks all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested on another machine. CC 2015, Yosemite 10.10.4.

Confirming my steps as well:

• Navigate to: Applications/Utilities/Adobe Creative Cloud/ACC/ 
  • Rename Creative Cloud app to Creative Cloudx -requires password
  • Go to menubar and click the AAM icon and select updater
  • Click preferences
  • uncheck notify me of new updates, icon should disappear from menubar
  • rename Creative Cloud app to original name -requires password

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep worked for me... Wow the fact that this is the work around is ridiculous... Thanks adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally was able to try this again with the Adobe Updater in the menubar and it worked for me... it appears to be necessary that you quit Creative Cloud and rename it while the old icon is in the menubar and then launch it from there.

Trying to launch AAM from it's app file gives the error I kept getting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rueez's solution (post 43.) also worked very well for me in July 2015! Thanks for posting this ridiculous work-around...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2015 Aug 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

much thanks. I *LOVE* adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works like a charm. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2015 Aug 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works as described. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2015 Aug 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This worked for me. I had two icons...the old one and the new one, and I couldn't get rid of the old one. But this method worked. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. This dumb workaround worked for me on a new machine I just set up with CC 2015.

Steps I used:
1. Quit CC

2. Renamed CC

3. Clicked on the updater icon in the menu bar

4. Told it to open updater and it opened the old AAM

5. I changed the prefs and the icon went away finally

6. Closed the AAM

7. Renamed CC

8. Opened CC and ran my update with no issues

Hopefully this helps? If you did a fresh install of CC 2015 and you had an error with the AAM, maybe something else is at play.

Also, this is the most stupid bug/feature I've ever seen in my life. I don't understand why AAM still needs to exist in the background and I don't understand why it still pops up with CC2015. I would give anything for this laziness to stop in CC 2016. None of these teams talk to each other, and they all do things slightly differently. Can we get an update without any new features that solidifies how things work across all of the apps!? Why is changing text size different in every app for example? In some you can drag the value, in others you can't. It's dumb. Talk to each other. Integrate. And fix stupid issues like these that should never exist in shipped software. It's lazy. I know there are good devs at Adobe. Adobe needs to let them talk to each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I take that back. There was one bug that was even dumber. There was a bug in AE that when you packaged the project if you moved the mouse while it was doing it (aka used your computer) it would fail. But this is a very close second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution (mostly because I don't like all these little Adobe processes running and sucking up processor time – there is no reason I should have to give 2% of my CPU to Adobe's updaters):

1. cd /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Creative Cloud/ACC
  2. rename "Creative Cloud.app" to "Pig.app"

Now just leave it. I start it up every month or so just to make sure there aren't any interesting updates, then kill it again. Make sure your preferences are set so that it doesn't try to start up automatically (won't really matter since it's renamed though).

Adobe's installers and updaters have always been a sore point. I think the problem is they've tried to come up with a universal solution that works on Mac as well as PCs, and somehow this technology must be a mess because of it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamwaver CS6 , I have one of Errol 16  should to be  how removed, I have no idea plese tell me also provide me  some method, solve me problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it this complicated... HATE UPDATES - they screw things up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great method Rueez, but I just found a shortcut to your method...

1. Simply navigate to: Applications /Adobe Creative Cloud /

2. In that file you'll see 2 files; "Adobe Creative Cloud" and "Uninstall Adobe Creative Cloud".  Rename Adobe Creative Cloud to Adobe Creative Cloudx.  When I did that the icon in themenu bar disappeared!

3. Rename it straight back to original name (get rid of the x!)

This way you don't need to open anything up or find some 'Preferences' thing and find boxes to uncheck etc!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines