Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using CSS variables

Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does the most recent release of Dreamweaver work with CSS variables? I am using an earlier version, and the coding always gets flagged. The most recent post regarding this issue is 5 years old.

Thanks.

Mark

TOPICS
Code

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still doesn't recognize them fully and likely never will.

DW is now in a minimum development mode. Adobe only plans OS compatibility updates, security patches, and third party library updates (though they are lagging badly on the last one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks. We're nearing the end, aren't we?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks. We're nearing the end, aren't we?

By @Fun Seeker

We've been nearing the end for a few years now. I guess it's a case of when to jump ship before it sinks, taking you with it. By that l mean if its starting to impact on you personally as a professional  web developer because it lacks certain features that other editors, which are still being actively developed, feature it's time to consider your position. On the other hand if its not impacting on your ability to get the job done and you don't consider yourself a professional then there's no reason to panic. DW even when Adobe call end of life is likely to be usable for a few more years if you don't regularly update your OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the program for my own projects and to help friends, not for professional purposes. With all the social media websites and WordPress themes, I don't see professional website design as a viable path, unless you specialize in high-end back-end coding/programming, which I don't.

If the coding is correct, I suspect that CSS variables will work when the files are uploaded onto the server. This is the first and only bump in the road. For everything else, Dreamweaver works just fine and is a pleasure to work with. I have a slew of Project Seven plugins/widgets, which I love and use on every project. I feel bad for them. Adobe's decision to abandon Dreamweaver pulled the rug out from under them.

Thanks again, and best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the program for my own projects and to help friends, not for professional purposes. With all the social media websites and WordPress themes, I don't see professional website design as a viable path, unless you specialize in high-end back-end coding/programming, which I don't.

By @Fun Seeker

Very wise words. It's about as tough now than it has ever been to get into web development at a professional level. I would not bother if l was starting over again, fortunately l"m not. It was fun while it lasted.

@Fun Seeker wrote:

If the coding is correct, I suspect that CSS variables will work when the files are uploaded onto the server. This is the first and only bump in the road. For everything else, Dreamweaver works just fine and is a pleasure to work with. I have a slew of Project Seven plugins/widgets, which I love and use on every project. I feel bad for them. Adobe's decision to abandon Dreamweaver pulled the rug out from under them.

The css variables will work without any issues regardless of if DW flags them up as errors.

PVII are still going as far as l know but must have been impacted somewhat  by Adobe's decision to discontinue DWs active development. DMX Zone, another DW extension developer, looked into the crystal ball and built their own editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Osgoog,

It's difficult to compete with free, and much of the internet is this way. Free email, searches, videos, music, WordPress themes, etc. It's becoming more and more difficult to convince individuals or a small business that spending extra money on developing a website is worth the money. And it will only get worse, not better. I think the best opportunties exist with/working for large, profitable companies, e.g., banks, insurance firms, hospitals, law firms, etc., managing their websites and online marketing, not building sites for private businesses.

I still purchase PVII's widgets every now and then. They're so damn good! They haven't developed anything new in a long time, and given the situation, it's not surprising. It makes no sense to divert time and resources into a program with a limited shelflife.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Osgoog,

It's difficult to compete with free, and much of the internet is this way. Free email, searches, videos, music, WordPress themes, etc. It's becoming more and more difficult to convince individuals or a small business that spending extra money on developing a website is worth the money. And it will only get worse, not better. I think the best opportunties exist with/working for large, profitable companies, e.g., banks, insurance firms, hospitals, law firms, etc., managing their websites and online marketing, not building sites for private businesses.

By @Fun Seeker

I could not agree more, sounds like l could have written that reply myself. You either have to be very very good or very very bad to make any money from web development these days, in my opinion. Those in between like myself can't compete. For me it doesn't matter, l had 20 plus years of satisfaction and excitement. I can sit back now and watch it all unfold from a comfortable distance. I still take an interest in what's happening of course,  its difficult after so much investment in terms of time, to just walk away, for now that is. Hopefully lm still capable of giving back something to those who are less knowledgable and occasionally need some help.

I still purchase PVII's widgets every now and then. They're so damn good! They haven't developed anything new in a long time, and given the situation, it's not surprising. It makes no sense to divert time and resources into a program with a limited shelflife.  Thanks.

By @Fun Seeker

I've never used a PVII extention BUT I do know both Al and Gerry were/are fully committed to producing the best and providing an excellent after sales experience. Sadly Al is no longer with us and with  DW no longer in active development , only bug and OS updates, hasn't exactly helped.

Time waits for no one, things move on, there's always someone else or something else on the horizon which is going to eventually "rain on your parade'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the coding is correct, I suspect that CSS variables will work when the files are uploaded onto the server. 

By @Fun Seeker

Personally, I go to Edit > Preferences > Linting and uncheck the Enable Linting box so DW keeps its yap shut about things it doesn't understand, then I go to:

CSS: https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
HTML: https://validator.w3.org/nu/ 

...to validate if something isn't working as expected, to get a listing of any issues I might have missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the links. I was familiar with the HTML validator, but not the CSS. I'll use it, for sure. And I followed your recommendation about the Linting in Preferences, and it worked. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

READ ME

It explains a few of the pros & cons along with some alternative code editors to use alongside DW.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, 

Thanks for the link. The list keeps getting longer and longer. 

I'll stick with Dreamweaver for as long as possible. It's what I know, and the PVII plug-ins make everything so simple. I'll probably wait until I have no choice before migrating over to another program or option.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines