• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What causes this new colored dot to appear in the source code?

Engaged ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all:

I see a new thing happening lately (running DW 21.2 on Mac OS Monterey).

While a page is open in DW, I find that sometimes, when I delete a related file in the list of local files, a strange colorful dot appears on the page's source code. (See my first attachment that shows what appeared when I made four repetitive deletions for testing purposes.)

DW-inquiry1.jpg

The effect it causes can be seen in the next attachment.

DW-inquiry2.jpg

I want to prevent DW from creating these colorful dots in the source code that aren't easy to spot. They may be on saved pages without me realizing that they're there.

I tried copying/pasting on in the "Find field but DW doesn't recognize them as a character.

Have you seen these occurrences? Is there a way to prevent them? How can I find them on saved pages?

Wondering Warren

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Do not talk to the Chat Bot.  In the Chat box type AGENT follwed by ENTER key.

Wait for a human.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've personally never seen this happen on my DW mac version. How are you deleting the related file? What exact steps are you taking? Ie: Are you looking at the file explorer and deleting it? Are you deleting it via the Mac finder? Was the file in any way related to the code it is being inserted into?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ben:

After reading your e-reply, I did a TEST delete, as follows.

1. A page was already open in Code view. The blinking white cursor line was present at the last active location. It doesn't matter where.

2. I selected a sample file from the Local list: my 404 page.

3. With it selected, I deleted that file. When I deleted it, a colored dot appeared next to the blinking cursor character.

It's that easy to create! Try it and let me/us know if it happens to you on your Mac.

I seldom notice that I created those colored dots during my workflow. I hope to learn how to prevent such occurrences in the future, Ben. What do you suggest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never seen this either. 

Are you copying & pasting content from other apps without stripping out unwanted junk code?

When pasting from other apps, use Edit > Paste Special > Text Only or Text with Structure.

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Nancy:

I'm careful with pasting text. These instances occur when I'm cleaning house or deleting unwanted files.

Have you tried the TEST delete that I described?

Just wondering. . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No thanks. 

I don't delete files until I'm certain I have no links to them.  Ctrl/Cmd + Shift +  F > Find All.

Good site management requires careful planning. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I picked a stand-alone file to delete as a test, Nancy.

After completing the test, I downloaded that deleted file from the server and it returned to my files list. No problem. Plus, I keep multiple backups of my local files.

Good site management requires us all to plan carefully.  (  ; - )

Might you have a suggestion for me to try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestion for what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. . . I'm eager to find out what causes this colored dot to appear in the source code of an open page when I delete an unrelated file from DW's files list.

I've shut down DW and reopened it and the issue continues to occur. What do I do next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window > Results > Output panel.

What's reported for "red dots?"

Site > Advanced > Recreate Site Cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In answer to your question, nothing is reported in the Output panel.

See my attachment, please.

I selected the newly created colored dot, then went to Window > Results > Output. The Outpane remained blank. Am I to do something to activate the Output function? If so, please advise. Thanks, Nancy. I've never performed that action.

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 3.21.34 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Output doesn't see it as an error.

Did you Recreate Site Cache?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now recreated the site cache; it took less than a minute.

I then retested by deleting that unrelated 404 page. The colored dot appeared on the open page where I had set the cursor. See the latest screenshot.

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 4.08.43 PM.jpg

I selected the new dot and activated Window > Results > Output. Nothing appears in the Output pane.

Have I done what you suggested, Nancy? Have I missed something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a mystery red dot then. I've no idea where it comes from. 

Can you backspace to delete it from Code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I can backspace and delete it. I can also drag and drop, copy/paste it, and format it into a <p> or a heading.

Does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I can backspace and delete it.

By @wcamp

===========

Fine. I guess we're done here. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Nancy. The problem continues to exist. Colored dots pop up on open pages in DW when I delete an unrelated file in my list of DW files.

I want to prevent this anomaly, mainly because I don't see every instance of these unwanted pop-ups.

If no one in the support community experiences this problem, who do I contact next to seek a resolution?

Please help me with this. Thank you, Nancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you certain it's an unrelated file that you are deleting?

CONTACT ADOBE SUPPORT:
================
Online Chat: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
Twitter: https://twitter.com/adobecare
Phone M-F, during normal business hours: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The 404 page that a deleted as a test has no relationship to that open page.

I've now done a new test. With a new page open, I deleted an image file from a different folder/directory. As soon as I deleted it, that colored dot appeared on my open page in my newest test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a character coding issue. The invisible squares can be various different chatacter values not able to be translated based on the current character version being used.
From an app to app basis it will be settings that differ between them as well as the OS and if your pasting from a website for example of code and it's encoding vs the encoding you have in your code. In the latter cases things like " will also render differently as another example.
The most common would be <meta charset="UTF-8" />  but if a site is set to run differently you will see things like you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for weighing in, Liam.

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you're describing or suggesting. Would you please clarify this for me?

Thanks, in advance.

And is there something I need to do to prevent these dots from popping up? No matter which page (of my site's 450 pages) I have open, Liam, I can cause a colored dot to appear when I attempt to delete an unrelated file (whether it's an .HTML, .php, .jpg, .pdf, .webp, etc.).

How do I prevent upcoming file deletions from causing these unwanted colored dots to appear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wcamp do you have any extension installed ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Birnou:

Yes, I have extensions installed on DW. Please see my attached screenshot and tell me more. Thanks.

DWextensions.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can @B i r n o u please e-reply? Much appreciated!

I'm eager to learn how to stop these colored dots from appearing on my open DW pages. Please help. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wcamp 

What did Adobe technical support tell you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines