Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro Extended 9.0.0 Admin Install Update

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2009 Aug 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am trying to update our deployment of Acrobat Pro Extended 9.0.0 to the latest patch, 9.1.3.

We are not deploying the updates via Group Policy, as our deployment of Acrobat Pro is "on demand", therefore I initially wish to update the administrative installation point.

I feel it important to point out that our software was downloaded from the Adobe Licensing site, and is not copied off any CD/DVD media.

My basic process here is:

Download the patch files for Acrobat Pro Extended for Windows, from Adobe:

• AcroProExUpd910_all_incr.msp (no longer easily found on Update site as downloadable at the time of this post)
  • AcrobatUpd911_all_incr.msp
  • AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp
  • AcrobatUpd913_all_incr.msp

Of which, based on the article at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/498/cpsid_49880.html I understand that:

• 9.1.0 is a quarterly update
  • 9.1.1 is a security update
  • 9.1.2 is a quarterly update
  • 9.1.3 is a security update (assumed, as it came out in the wake of current security fixes)

Therefore, I think I need to update my AIP to 9.1.0, then to 9.1.2 (acceptable according to the release notes for this patch) and then to 9.1.3, thus completing my task.

My problem comes from running the patches on the AIP.  Normally I use a customised installation, but to rule that out, I am ONLY using the downloaded software - no local customisations applied using the Adobe Customisation Wizard.

Patching the 9.0.0 version to 9.1.0 using msiexec /a Acro3D.msi /p AcroProExUpd910_all_incr.msp WORKS!  Setup completes, no errors.

Patching the 9.1.0 version to 9.1.2 using msiexec /a Acro3D.msi /p AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp FAILS!  Setup reports a missing file in the Data1.cab, interop.adobepdfmakerx.dll.  Google search reveals unlikely sources to download this missing file.

Patching cannot continue, as 9.1.2 is a pre-requisite to 9.1.3.  I have the same problem with applying 9.1.1, though the above KB article made me ignore trying to get that to work.

Does anyone have any advice where I am going wrong?

Thanks!

UPDATE:

After more digging around, it seems that the 9.1.x updates are only for Pro and Standard, whereas the 9.1 update is explicitally for the Pro Extended product.

All 4 patches will patch an "installed" version of the Acrobat Professional Extended product, however the 9.1.2 update will not patch the administrative installation point, presumably because of the different version (Pro or Standard patch, not Pro Extended patch), resulting in the error of the missing file.

The Adobe Security Bulletin clearly says the patches are available for Standard, Professional and Extended, yet the patches dont seem to work!  This is just nuts!

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

I had the exactly same problem. After struggling for hours i finally found a working solution.
It seems that the sequence numbers in the msi-file 9.0.0 are not correctly adjusted by the 9.1.0 Patch!
One way as a workaround is removing the disturbing rows with a msi-editor.

Important note: This solution concerns only media kits carrying Acrobat Versions 9.0.0. Higher versions 9.1.0 do not show the described problem with error 1334.

Furthermore, the 9.0.0 Serial won't work for 9.1.0. You will need upg

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exactly same problem. After struggling for hours i finally found a working solution.
It seems that the sequence numbers in the msi-file 9.0.0 are not correctly adjusted by the 9.1.0 Patch!
One way as a workaround is removing the disturbing rows with a msi-editor.

Important note: This solution concerns only media kits carrying Acrobat Versions 9.0.0. Higher versions 9.1.0 do not show the described problem with error 1334.

Furthermore, the 9.0.0 Serial won't work for 9.1.0. You will need upgraded serials!!

First, patch Acrobat from 9.0.0 to 9.1.0 using Patchfile AcroProStdUpd910_T1T2_incr.msp
(msiexec /a acropro.msi /p AcroProStdUpd910_T1T2_incr.msp)

To avoid error 1334, Use the msi-editor ORCA (Easy to find via google) and open the currently patched acroXXX.msi Version 9.1.0

In ORCA: Navigate to the table: File and find then following entries (use the find-function in menu)

to upgrade to 9.1.2...delete the row...
interop.adobepdfmakerx.dll (AutoCad 2009 AddOn)
Right-Click and Delete the entries by choosing "Drop-Row" - confirm the warning and save the package

now you are able to patch the administrative image with AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp.
(msiexec /a acropro.msi /p AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp)

to upgrade to 9.1.3..
Navigate to the table: File

In table "File", sort the rows by "Component"

Scroll down to Component(s) "Acrobat_Navigators_MultiLingual" (remove all component-entries)
(e.g. adobegridfilepreview.nav, AdobeGridSidebar.nav ...)
Use Strg-Shift-X to delete all marked entries at once

Scroll down to Component(s) "PDFMaker_AutoCad_2009" (remove all component-entries)
(e.g. pdfmacad.arx, acrobatacadic.arx, acrobatacadic.dbx...)

Scroll down to Component(s) "rtpdll" (remove the entry with patchw32.dll)
(e.g. Patchw32.dll)

Scroll down to Component(s) "UpdateFiles_910" (remove all component-entries)
Delete all component-files named "UpdateFiles_910"

Scroll down to Component(s) "UpdateFiles_912" (remove all component-entries)
Delete all component-files named "UpdateFiles_912"

Save the package!

Now you are able to patch the administrative image with AcrobatUpd913_all_incr.msp to the most current version.
(msiexec /a acropro.msi /p AcrobatUpd913_all_incr.msp)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daleffer,

Thanks for the response.  Apologies I have not tried the solution as yet, but looking at it it feels like another potential failure for me, for two reasons:

1. Re-obtaining a serial number, if necessary.  I can't seem to get Adobe to re-issue a Flash Pro CS4 code that works correctly with their deployment toolkit - quite what chance I have getting them to re-issue a code after hacking at their product to make it work I have no idea
  2. Your method is for the PRO version of the software.  My version is the EXTENDED version, and as such the patches do not seem to be the same for that edition, and Adobe do like to make a distinction on their download page between the STD, PRO and EXT versions.

I intend to confirm my fears this week, but I will also take another stab at asking Adobe support to contribute to the debate, seeing as their product cannot be maintained without 3rd party (me) modifying their files.

Will keep this thread updated.

Gareth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can now confirm that after trying the advice from Daleffer the patches work for the PRO EXTENDED version.

I can finally put this to bed - thank you!

I can also confirm that our corporate license key works without changing/updating with Adobe.

I followed the instructions and used Orca.  I then used the Customisation Wizard to configure the product, and ran the Acro3D.msi administratively using our deployment method.

Mission complete!

Gareth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pathetic.  This will probably 3 hours of my life I'll never get back but I am "curious" how adobe will spin this.  Will attempt to contact support, and perhaps, as a last restor sales (funny how that seems to get actual results sometimes when all else fails).

MSI surgery should not be necessary on commercial products - or maybe you don't get what you pay for.  Linux is looking better and better all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2010 Jul 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ahve a new Acrobat Pro Extebded

9.0.0 and I am running windows 7. I cant

update anything and when I go into the help menu and select the updates it tells me I am

not on line etc.

I have tried and downloaded the updates and just cant install as it tells me the programme is missing etc etc.

All I want is a programme that works and i cant be done with all the tech talk as all i am is a user and run programmes that do the job. can any one advice what I can do next with out have to be a programmer.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2010 Sep 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry David.

Believe me I would have been thrilled to not have to jump through all the hoops.  But everyone HAD to have the REAL ACROBAT.

Find an alternative to acrobat?  Depending on what you need to do, there are plenty of free tools out there for creating PDF's.  Most function as print drivers, so you basically "print" your docs to a .pdf file.  Pretty simple.

That said, and without much (any) win7 experience, it sounds more like a permissions/firewall problem.  Or even something as simple connectivity.

Can you post the error message in it's entirety?  If you're using the builtin update function you should not need to download all the updates.

The other option is to use the above batch method.  I'll grant you it's a pain (Adobe, are you listening?  Have not seen much evidence yet that you are...) But it does do the job.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The kb note 49880 has been udpated several times recently. Also note that all enterprise doc is currently being rebuilt from the ground up. From the Enterprise resource portal (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709.html) you can find the main enterprise libraries and tools. It links to an Enterprise Admin Guide (nascent but rapidly evolving) and the Administrator's Information Manager (AIM). AIM is an AIR application that contains several several items, including a Preference Reference which documents over 300 registry keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines