Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.


Disabling updates on OS X using /L/P/com.adobe.<product>.plist

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having read in the Acrobat Deployment Guide that as of Acrobat 10.1.1, there's support for placing a FeatureLockdown-like key in a plist in /Library/Preferences. This is detailed on page 142-143:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/kb/en/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Administrati...

I'm specifically concentrating on Acrobat Pro X (10.1.1) in this case, and am testing on Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I've placed a plist at that path:

sh-3.2# defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro      

{

    10 =     {

        FeatureLockdown =         {

            bUpdater = 0;

        };

    };

}

Or, if you want the full XML plist contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

    <key>10</key>

    <dict>

        <key>FeatureLockdown</key>

        <dict>

                  <key>bUpdater</key>

                  <false/>

        </dict>

    </dict>

</dict>

</plist>

It doesn't seem to take effect. I've tried restarting, logging in and out the user, convert to and from XML to binary plist format, nothing. I notice that Acrobat Pro X's updater plugin also knows something about a plist at /etc/defaults/AdobeARMOverrides.plist. Is this of any use?

Also, the proposed workaround at 15.6.3 is wrong:

"15.6.3  Preventing any updates

To disable the application’s ability to update altogether, use a post install script to move, rename, or

delete the Updater.acroplugin file from the <root>/Contents/Plug-ins/Updater.acropluginplug_ins

directory."

This should read "<root>/Contents/Built-in/Updater.acroplugin". I'm quite able to resort to this method instead, but I'd rather use the plist method so I don't need to remove the Updater with every minor update.

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

3.8K

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Investigating. Stay tuned.

Ben

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed post.

  1. Under investigation
  2. You are correct and will integrate that change.

Thanks,

Ben

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

  1. Verify Class of bUpdater is Boolean. Use plist editor (like PlistEdit pro etc) to check.
  2. The permissions of this file should be – 755.
  3. Verify you're using Acrobat to 10.1.1 or above. It will not work on below versions.

hth

Ben

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay, was on vacation.

As is shown in my example, bUpdater is boolean. When else can you have "<false/>" as a key value? I've just verified in Xcode that it is in fact boolean.

The permissions were previously 644, owned by the 501 admin user. I've changed this to root:admin mode 755. No change.

I'm using Acrobat 10.1.1 on Snow Leopard Server.

On the subject of docs, they don't indicate anything about ownership/permissions, and are actually unclear about the contents of the file. It says to create a new "file" ending in .plist, and then to add the "entries" of the dict, without showing an example of the <plist> tag and the DTD. The next section (setting the Updater to manual) also states path "~/User/Library/Preferences/", which has ambiguous context and is also _not a real directory_.

Thanks,

-Tim

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've just tested this with the latest 10.1.4 update. The Updater section of the preferences is now not visible, so it looks like it works properly. Thanks for investigating!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines