• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

programmatically manipulate some illustrator file via API?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a service, let's say on AWS for example, that will automate common Illustrator tasks that i need to perform.
I want to programmatically manipulate some illustrator file, and export the result to some other format.
For example:
Given an illustrator file "template1.ai" and variables values that i get in runtime, I want to fill the variables in the file with the given values, and export the result as PNG.
This task will be performed on a remote machine in the cloud, where i don't have Illustrator installed.
Is it possible to do that? do you have some illustrator-as-service API or something like that which i can use?
Alternatively, is it possible to install illustrator on a machine in my cloud account and use some script to do that?
please provide some guidance
(and i have similar needs for video files as well, so will be happy to get an answer for after effects as well)

TOPICS
Developers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure you can!! Do you want a general action sequence, or with variables? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes, with variables.
Please guide me to where I can find information and commands on how to make what I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This task will be performed on a remote machine in the cloud, where i don't have Illustrator installed.
Is it possible to do that? do you have some illustrator-as-service API or something like that which i can use?

I've heard that installing Illustrator on a server might violate the terms of service... but I think you can install it on a cloud machine.

There is no Illustrator-as-service API that I'm aware of, however, Photoshop has one: https://developer.adobe.com/photoshop/api/

InDesign also offers InDesign Server for similar tasks (a "headless" version of InDesign).

This is a request I've heard before for Illustrator. I can pass it on to an Illustrator Product Manager, who will likely ask you to "detail your use case" a bit more.

It's worth noting that the Illustrator team is busy bringing Illustrator to the web at the moment (browser-based Illustrator), which is still in early beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish to do it with Illustrator because this will suit me best. After changing the template with the new variable, I want to export a vector file (pdf + Png).
What about InDesign?
Please do contact the product manager to guide me too .

How long do you think they will finalize the Illustrator web engine? A year or so ?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

also about the cloud machine. I will be happy to read more about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines