Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ATTENTION MAC CUSTOMERS - Flash Player 13 "Plugin Failure" Solution

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update 4/16

I'm pleased to announce that Flash Player 13.0.0.201 for Mac is now available from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.  This release resolves the crash described in this thread.  As noted below, you can either download this immediately from adobe.com or wait for the update to be applied automatically, within 24 hours, via our recommended auto update mechanism.  If you encounter any problems updating, please visit http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html for basic troubleshooting steps.

We are aware that Macs created between 2006 and 2008 are currently running into problems using the latest release of Flash Player (version 13).  We apologize for the inconvenience that this is causing.  We are actively investigating the cause and hope to have a full solution to you shortly.  In the meantime, please follow this two step procedure which will revert you back to version 12.

1. Download and run our uninstaller:
    http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player_osx.dmg
  2. Download and run the version 12 installer from*:
    http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/mac/install_flash_player_12_osx.d...

After installing Flash Player, you might be presented again with our update dialog.  You have a couple of choices to deal with this. 

I recommend simply clicking the red close button on the dialog's title bar to dismiss the dialog.  This dialog will show up once every 7 days or until we update you silently and automatically with the fixed version (45 days maximum).

The other option is to change the notification option during the install to "Never check for updates (not recommended)."  This will suppress the dialog completely.  At some point in the near future Safari will block the old version of Flash Player and you'll be prompted to reinstall the new version of Flash (with the fix).  When that happens you can return to the automatic update selection.

I will continue to update this thread and post to twitter (@liquidate) when new information is available.

Update 4/10:

We have determined that this problem is due to a compiler update in our build infrastructure that exposed a long-standing bug in a Mac system library.  Flash Player now attempts to use CPU instructions that are not available on a subset of supported Mac hardware from 2006 to 2007.  None of the machines in our compatibility labs are affected, so the issue didn't show up in our testing, but we were able to track down a machine that reproduces the issue yesterday.  We're actively working on a fix and I'll update this post again once we have more information.

Update 4/11

Our developers have found a fix for this issue and our quality assurance team will be testing this new build out over the weekend.  If everything looks good, we'll work on how and when we'll get this deployed. 

Update 4/14

Testing over the weekend went well and no new issues were found.  We're now working with our deployment teams to get this out to all Mac users.  If the testing and web staging go as planned, we expect that we'll have this update available for download on Wednesday, April 16th.  If you have the Flash Player update mechanism (found in the Advanced tab of the Flash Player system preference panel) set to "Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)" then you will receive the update within 24 hours of the release being made available.  Customers that have the option set to "Notify me to install updates" will get a notification dialog within 7 days.  We will also make this update available for download though http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.  I'll post again if we run into any snags or when the update is made available.

Update 4/16

I'm pleased to announce that Flash Player 13.0.0.201 for Mac is now available from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.  This release resolves the crash described in this thread.  As noted above, you can either download this immediately from adobe.com or wait for the update to be applied automatically, within 24 hours, via our recommended auto update mechanism.  If you encounter any problems updating, please visit http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html for basic troubleshooting steps.

*If copying and pasting the URL from step 2, please note that the forum software is putting a space after "mac".  Please manually remove this space or click on the link to start the download. If you do need to copy the link you can Right-Click or Control-Click on the link and select Copy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 116 Replies 116
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, we will appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled version 12 and Flash Player works again but I keep getting the Update Adobe Flash Player pop-up window. Deselecting the "Notify me..."  in the Global Notifications Settings panel doesn't work. The Update window keeps coming up and the when I go back to Settings Panel the "Notify me..." is again selected.

So reinstalling version 12 allows Flash Player to work again, but there is now an annoying pop-up. How can this be disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@G Fre - I've updated the original posts with two options to deal with this pop-up dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I thought you might be interested to know that the pop-up occurs very frequently when I open Safari, click on a web link or open a new window. It happens almost every few minutes when I am browsing the web. I am using a Mid 2007 iMac with Mavericks OS 10.9.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't it be better to pull this update from the automatic updater mechanism until the issue is fixed? Otherwise you are just breaking and/or annoying more people.

If you think the security fixes in 13 are very important to get out there quickly, all the more reason to accellerate a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also:

Wouldn't this issue also affect the Adobe AIR 13 release, since it is based on Flash and has an embedded copy of the Flash Player plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can confirm that an update to AIR 13 crashes the help system of CS5 on a Mac Pro 1.1 with 10.7. I’ve filed that as bug, but nothing happened yet. Returning back to AIR 4, and everything works as expected again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris!  Ta da!  Back in business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe wrote:

Update 4/14  If you have the Flash Player update mechanism (found in the Advanced tab of the Flash Player system preference panel) set to "Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)" then you will receive the update within 24 hours of the release being made available.  Customers that have the option set to "Notify me to install updates" will get a notification dialog within 7 days.

Or to update without changing your update preferences.

Click on Systems Preferences.

Click on Flash Player.

Click on Advanced.

Under "Updates" click on "Check Now."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i cant seem to download the second link....http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/mac /install_flash_player_12_osx....

help please. Thx.

ok got it. worked. thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I did all that and it still doesn't work.   I uninstalled and reinstalled 12.  I've only had my MAC since 2011 so Its not a 2007 or 2006 machine.  I'm not sure if that will make a difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The steps mentioned above are working for almost all the users except few.

You can uninstall the flash player plugin manually by following the below mentioned steps:

1. Close all the browsers

2. On the Mac menu bar, click on "GO"---then "computer"----then "Macintosh HD or MAC hd or IMAC hd"-----then "library"----then navigate to folder "Internet plugins" and delete the file " flashplayer.plugin " and Flash player.xpt

3. Now click on the link:  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/mac /install_flash_player_12_osx....

4. Download and install this 12.0 version of flash player till the time the new updates for the flash player 13.0 version is not available

5. To disable the notification which you might receive for new version ( click on apple icon---system preferences------flash player-----Advanced-----Select "notify or aske me before update"

This is a sure shot work around.

Hope this will work for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, and I really appreciate the quick action and turnaround on the problem.

I didn't find any discussion of this problem on message boards, although I knew it came down

with the new Flash 13 update. I was afraid it had something to do with my old Macbook(sure enough,)

and was beginning to think nobody else would notice or care.

Thanks again for jumping on this, and explaining the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the effort. I really do hope this doesn't mean you will drop support for the 2006 and 2007 machines like you did with the premature drop off of the PwerPC machines back in 2010.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me on a mid 2007 iMac 24 inch. Tried it three times now. I still get a "plug-in failure" message. Friday, April 11th, 11:30 am ADT.

FIXED!!!

I had uninstalled v13 manually, or so I thought, but after running the posted uninstaler, I was able to install v12 successfully. Thanks for posting both links. I apologize for not following your posting exactlly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Bless your pea-pickin' heart", Chris Campbell" It took several hours for me to find your solution, but in my case it worked like a charm.  From now on, I check with you before my "update your flash player" message is obeyed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your attention to this, Chris. You've been very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!

MacBookPro3,1

June 2007-February 2008

A1229

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris

I can not connect to the second link, eihter clicking on it or pasting it into Safari. Any ideas?

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, Bruce and others

There is a space in the given URL after "mac" that needs to be removed. URLs cannot contain any spaces. Once I did that, it worked fine.

John, the physics teacher guy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@physygy - Thanks for the heads up!  No idea why it's putting a space after "mac".  When I go to edit the post, the space is definitely *not* there.  Clicking the link in the post does work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris:

I'm getting tired of Adobe screwing up software updates. A couple of years ago, several versions of Acrobat updates were hosed and did not work properly for over a year. Ongoing security flaws, compatibility issue with Flash, and all this for technically obsolete software that everyone is saddled with but hates. And now, The Adobe Application Managerwith CS 6 doesn't seem to uninstall the errant Flash versions. So, I had to find and download another uninstaller to get THAT to work.

So far, none of the solutions listed in this thread work for me on Mac OS X v10.7.5 with Safari 6.1.3. Either I get a Plug-in error or Plug-in out of date error. I have installed, deleted and reinstalled different versions of the Flash software five times now and am about to now try version 11.7.700.275...

Worse, Adobe keeps changing the name conventions of the Flash installers and there has been absolutely no naming consistency for updates throughout the entire product line or the years — nor even for the different Flash Players. This makes it extremely difficult to file, store and compare the various installer versions numbers. Besides the unreliable software, the Adobe Downloads services are a mess.

I'm a long-time customer, but growing more and more disgusted with everything Adobe. Why would anyone want to get locked into pay forever subscription services with a company that cannot seem to get the basics right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, after four hours of frustrating troubleshooting, Adobe Flash Installer v11.7.700.275 restored Flash functionality to my Mac Pro running 10.7.5 and Safari 6.1.3. Sheesh. And I still have an insecure version loaded. Thanks for a morning wasting my time, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it as instructed: 1st - uninstalled the 13th version; 2nd - installed the 12th one. And I still can't watch youtube videos. Video gets "jumpy".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines