Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Install Flash for Firefox

Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was prompted today by Firefox to install the latest version of Flash. Unfortunately, the installer says I have insufficient permissions for the file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll. As I understand it, that would mean I don't have administrative permissions, but I do. I am on the only account on this computer, an administrator account.

I downloaded the uninstaller to try to start fresh. It uninstalled successfully, but when I tried to install, I get the same error. Now I have no flash at all for Firefox.

I tried to use IE instead, and that worked perfectly. I can view flash content in IE now fine. Unfortunately, I guess I have to install it for Firefox separately, because I still can't view flash content in Firefox.

I am using the latest version of Firefox on Windows 7 64 bit. Does anyone have any idea what to do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Ok, it seems that this file is really "stuck".  There is only one way to get rid of it: use a file unlocker.  Search Google for "file unlocker", and you will find a tool that has helped me a couple of times in the past to get rid of locked or otherwise stuck files.

Let me know if you need help with that.

Once you get rid of that file, try the install again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, you are right: there are two different installs - one for Internet Explorer (ActiveX), and one for all other browsers (plugin).

Regarding Firefox - is it the latest version that was released last week (3.6.4) or this week (3.6.6)?

Can you give me a list of files that you have in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash ?  If NPSWF32.dll is in there, what version is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually tried this with both versions of Firefox. First 3.6.4, then I

upgraded to 3.6.6 and tried again, but it didn't work for either.

In that folder I have:

Flash10h.ocx

FlashInstall.txt

flashplayer.xpt

FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.exe

FlashUtil10h_Plugin.exe

install.txt

NPSWF32.dll

NPSWF32.dll has a modified date of 7/17/2009. When I go to view its properties, under the security tab it tells me I don't have the required permissions to view or edit its permission settings. I'm thinking maybe I should delete the file, and then try installing again? I want to wait to see if that's good idea from you first; I don't want to create any more problems.

Thanks for helping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alliaphagist wrote:

NPSWF32.dll has a modified date of 7/17/2009.

That sounds quite old!  Can I assume that all other files in that folder are newer?

Can you try the following:

• open a Command Prompt (Start | Run | type cmd )
  • in the Command Prompt window type this sequence of commands
  • cd \
    cd Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
    regsvr32 /u NPSWF32.dll
    exit

(You can copy and paste, or type everything in just lowercase characters.)

Next open Windows Explorer, go to C:Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash and delete NPSWF32.dll (also install.txt, as it is probably also old).

If you cannot delete that file, what error message do you get?

P.S. there should be no web browsers running when you do all the above.

P.P.S. see next post...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't know why the Command Prompt command sequence in the previous post show up as garbage.  Here it is again, hopefully more clear...

cd \
cd Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
regsvr32 /u NPSWF32.dll
exit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using those commands in the command prompt, but I get this error:

error.PNG

Then I tried to delete the file, but I get this error:

error2.PNG

All the other files other than this one and install.txt have a modified date of yesterday (June 28, 2010).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it seems that this file is really "stuck".  There is only one way to get rid of it: use a file unlocker.  Search Google for "file unlocker", and you will find a tool that has helped me a couple of times in the past to get rid of locked or otherwise stuck files.

Let me know if you need help with that.

Once you get rid of that file, try the install again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, that solved it! For the record I first tried LockHunter, which did not work. Then I wanted to try Unlocker, but it doesn't work on 64-bit systems. I did find an alpha version for 64-bit, which I could only use if I used a program called Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider to boot in a test environment because it didn't have the proper driver signature for Windows yet. So a lot of odd work-arounds, but Flash is finally working. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines