• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer is slow after running flash

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Flash player 11,8,800,94 with Firefox 23.0.1 under Window 7 Pro 64-bit (with all the latest bug fixes) on a Dell Studio 1558 (core 4 CPU)  and have this problem: After viewing a Flash movie under Firefox, my system slows to a crawl, while CPU usage (per Task Manager) shows nearly 100% -- even after I quit Firefox -- and even when I am doing only mundane things like opening a text file in Notepad.  Only re-booting helps then.

I followed these instructions [http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071] to disable Flash protected mode. Not only did this not fix my problem, it induced a new one: After viewing 5 to 10 minutes of flash movies, my system would suddenly power off with no warning I removed the line "ProtectedMode=0" which I had added to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg and the sudden power-off problem no longer recurred.

So I completely uninstalled Flash Player and the problem did not recur--of course, since it only happens after playing a Flash movie. But then again I couldn't play Flash movies. So I reinstalled Flash player--the latest version, straight from Adobe--and as soon as I played my first movie, the CPU usage shot up and stayed up around 80% even though I was doing nothing! I killed the Flash Player Plugin from Task Manager and the CPU usage did not drop. Task Manager says that it's all going to ordinary things that shouldn't take any time, like an idle Firefox session and even 14% to Task Manager itself. Something lurking in my computer is making everything inefficient. It will be OK after I reboot, until I play my next Flash video.

By the way, this problem only happens after playing Flash videos through the Adobe Flash player plugin to Firefox. I played some FLV files using the stand-alone FLV Player from Applian (based on the VLC player), and had no troubles at all.

So, the obvious questions are, why is this happening and how can I prevent it?  I'm getting tired of re-booting just to get my computer back after each web site which pops up a movie.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My daughter had an ASUS netbook with Win 7 and it did this with FF and "The Sims 3". As soon as she opened the game or played a YouTube video, the fan would "kick up" so high that it sounded like someone was vacuuming the carpets. I updated the video drivers and that solved the game problem, but I had to "bite the bullet" and reinstall Firefox COMPLETELY (as in: I dumped her Firefox profile and mine from the HD). Reinstalled Firefox and suddenly we had a quiet netbook.
I use a lot of plugins in FF, and FlashBlock used to be one of them. I didn't reinstall it on the reload and it seemed THAT was what kept the fan from revving up so high with Flash videos. It was sending the Flash Container plugin to 100% when it tried to block Flash ads. I had tried disabling it before uninstalling FF, but it still pushed the CPU to the max, so a complete reinstall was all I could do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have (and never had) FlashBlock, so that's not my problem.

My system used to work well, and all I've changed since then is to routinely update Firefox and Flash.  N.B. the video drivers are unchanged, still the newest version for my hardware.

Note that once my computer gets into its "slow mode" where even a Notepad session takes 100% of CPU, it doesn't matter that Firefox and Flash are no longer running.  I have found no way to get my system back short of re-booting.  And then it's OK until I open a web page with Flash content, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does an SFC show any bad files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C F McBlob: I think this is what you meant:

C:\>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I'm at a loss. I openly admit it.

Hopefully someone else today will have more insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines