Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player installed, but not working

Nov 01, 2010 Nov 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have searched through some of the forums and attempted some of the things said in them, but I still cannot figure out how to get my flash player on Firefox to work. I have the addon enabled, and the latest version of java, and I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. When I go to sites, I believe it detects I have flash, as it doesn't ask me to download it, but it just blanks out, I can't right click where the flash player should be. Now, I just downloaded flash for IE, and it works fine.

Any help or steps would be much appreciated.

Some information:

Shockwave Flash 10.1.85.3 is enabled, I don't see any other versions of flash in that page. I don't have any activeX plugins (not sure if this matters).

I do have shockwave for director installed as well, 11.5.9.615. Also, when I test flash on http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/, what happens is nothing comes up, just the text with "adobe flash player is just the standard.." and then when I click above it, a grey bar appears, but I can't right click it, so I'm assuming the test failed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2010 Nov 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most importantly: what is your operating system

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah, that would be something I should have answered earlier. I apologize, windows XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me what files you have in folder C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?

Do you have Flash Player only for Firefox, or do you also have it installed on Internet Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently installed it on internet explorer to see if it works, and it does. Just not on firefox, which I mainly use. In that folder, I have:

Flash10k.ocx

FlashInstall

flashplater.xpt

FlashUtil10k_ActiveX

FlashUtil10k_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil10k_Plugin

genuinst

install

KB923789

NPSWF32.dll

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the version and date of the NPSWF32.dll file?  If it's not version 10.1.85.3, then delete it and reinstall the Flash Player plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the most uptodate version, I think I've used the uninstaller before, and reinstalled, and still no change. The funny thing is, flash thinks that it is installed and works, I don't get the error that I need to dl it, it just won't actually work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the plugin actually enabled?  (Type about:plugins into the Firefox address bar, then check Shockwave Flash.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are definitely enabled.

Shockwave Flash

File: NPSWF32.dll
Version: 10.1.85.3
Shockwave Flash 10.1 r85
MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flashAdobe Flash movieswfYes
application/futuresplashFutureSplash moviesplYes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to disable Hardware Acceleration (from IE, right-click on any Flash object and select Settings)?

If that still doesn't work, can you try to run the latest uninstaller, reboot, then delete all remaining files in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash, and install the latest version 10.1.102.64?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 06, 2010 Nov 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done so, deleted all files, then reinstalled, again, same problem persists, IE works fine, just Firefox still detects it, but isn't able to load anything. I did turn off hardware accel too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2010 Nov 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Firefox, is the Shockwave Flash plugin enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you asked me this already, I'm not sure though. I did the about:plugins in firefox, and yes, it's enabled. Is there a different way besides going to the addon->plugins that I should be checking this? When I disable it, and then go toa flash website, it says for me to download it, so it's definitely enabled. Can you think of anything else that might make my system confuse what flash is or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jtang645 wrote:

I think you asked me this already, I'm not sure though.

So I did - twice in fact, sorry.

I am running out of ideas.  What I would try if it was happening on my system is to update the device drivers for your graphics/video/display adapter.  But I am not sure if this will in fact improve anything.  (Updating the drivers often helps when the browsers or even Windows crashes; not sure in this situation.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem to my Firefox, but it is fine in IE. It notice me to download in adobe.com I do it but also can not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines