Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Update/Install exe file does not execute - WinXP SP2

Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WinXP Home 5.1.2600 SP2 32bit

Firefox 51.0.1 32bit

Flash Player update/install files won't execute.

It doesn't matter whether I dbl-click, I choose "open", I run from task mgr - nothing works.

Note that the exe file icon ("f" logo in lower left corner) is very dark red, practically/maybe black.  Looks odd.

For about a year now Firefox has disabled Shockwave Flash ver. 21.0.0.242 displaying this msg:

"Flash Player Plugin 21.0.0.226 to 21.0.0.242 (click-to-play) has been blocked for your protection."

I have tried disabling both anti-virus and firewall.

I have tried using Firefox - NPAPI install file.

The update never executes.  I've pretty much given up...  Anyone know what's going on?

(ps - before posting, I searched forum.  there appear to be many posts w/ same, unanswered question)

[moderator: edited title to include OS and Service Pack version]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi davidl15395380 ,

This is most likely happening because the installers are signed with a sha256 digital signature and Windows XP SP2 does not support sha256 digital signatures (SP3 does support sha2556 digital signatures).  You can try the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier page in the 'Still having problems' section, however, there is no guarantee it'll work.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you're referring to at this link...   As I said in my OP, I've already tried using the Firefox - NPAPI install file, which is at the bottom of the page your link goes to.  Is that what you're referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As I said in my OP, I've already tried using the Firefox - NPAPI install file, which is at the bottom of the page your link goes to.  Is that what you're referring to?

That depends.  You mentioned you tried the NPAPI installer, but you didn't mention from where you downloaded the file and I'm assuming you are using the online installer downloaded from https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.  To verify, what is the name of the installer file you are using?

The tell tale sign of a system not supporting sha256 digital signatures is the installer not launching at all, which is what you are reporting. In the end, if your system does not support sha256 digital signatures, the installer will not work.  You would need to update to SP3, which does support sha256 digital signatures.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Maria,

I've used multiple update files, including the ones Adobe pushes me with their update alerts as well as the one you're referring to which I found before at the same page you referenced.  It appears fairly clear that it's an XP SP2 issue.  Any chance someone in programming could provide an update file without SHA256?  Seriously.  I do appreciate your help identifying this basic problem for me.  I must say however that "disappointing" doesn't quite cover what I feel towards Adobe with respect to their continuing to push an update on a machine that can't run it.  And item #8 on the Flash Install Problems page you reference would be helpfully updated by adding XP to the list of Windows OS running SP2 which are affected.  (Yes, of course it's presumably ALL of them!  But why then mention Vista and WinServer 2008 but not XP?)  Thanks again,

David.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi davidl15395380

The Microsoft tech note doesn't mention XP because Microsoft dropped support for XP years ago.  And we won't be reverting back to the sha1 digital signatures as they are just not secure. Essentially you're running a very old, unsecure operating system easily targeted by malicious folks. sha1 digital signatures (which xp sp2 supports) started being deprecated years ago and more and more companies are moving to sha256.  Some web browsers have begun notifying users that the site they are visting is using a sha1 digital signature by removing the lock icon in the address field and identifying the site as unsecure. 

You can get all the details by peerform an internet search for 'sha1 deprecation'. 

These search results will give you lots of information:  https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=sha1+deprecation

At minimum, you should try to update to SP3 if you can find an installation file for it, but that still leaves you out of any security updates released by Microsoft.  You're best bet is to update to a modern system with all the advances in secure computing.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Maria,

I'm aware of the security issues you refer to - nothing I need to explore further here.  As far as your observation that "The Microsoft tech note doesn't mention XP because Microsoft dropped support for XP years ago.", I never intended to refer to any Microsoft tech note, I was referring to the following Adobe help page:  https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html​  and specifically to item #8 on that page:

8.   Is the Flash Player's ADM installer not launching?

This may happen because of a certificate problem. The ADM installer uses the SHA256 certificate, which may not be compatible with a computer that is running Windows Vista SP2 or Windows Server 2008 SP2.

As I suggested in my previous response, this message (above) from Adobe could be improved by adding Windows XP SP2.  Moreover, (as I also alluded to in my previous response) I'm surprised that Adobe's update service does not identify my machine as running WinXP SP2 and give me some sort of warning that there is no update available w/o SP3, rather than just pushing me an update that cannot execute on my machine.

Thank you for your time.  I have reasons not to update to SP3,and if I cannot get a Flash install file from Adobe that will execute on my machine, I cannot update and will have to live with what I've got.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi David,

Thanks for clarifying. I'll forward your suggestion internally.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines