• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe Application Error

Participant ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  I'm an IT guy and one of our users put in a ticket with screen shots showing an error message they get every single day when they sign on to their Windows XP computer.  The first error message says:

FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x7c9113c0" referenced memory at "0x00050005".  The memory could not be "written".  Click OK to terminate the program.

The user clicks OK and then this comes up.

"Adobe Flash Player Update Service 11.3 r300 encountered a problem and needed to close."  It then has the date and time of the error (which is when she logged into the PC) and a Send / Don't Send error report button, which we know are just placebos because sending these reports don't fix the problem.

What do you think is causing this?  I wanted to report the error not only to get help on it but to make the product better so future versions can be written to not have these errors.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2012 Jul 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Betty,

Thank you again for your detailed information.

Interestingly enough, my spec's in regards to ActiveX and Plug-In Versions are exactly flip-flopped to yours.

ActiveX: ends in 265.

Plug-In: ends in 268.

Now when I go to Adobe, install the latest Flash Player, it installs. However sometimes it goes to about 50% and then tells me, I must close all IE windows, then my download will continue. When I close them, it does continue and then finish. Then it re-launches IE and takes me to aDobe's site to a page with a quick Flash movie of the Adobe Flash logo and says I have it installed. But when going to video sites, Vimeo/ YouTube, etc., these sites say I do not have the Flash Player.

Or what seems to be the latest way, is that I go Adobe and download the latest player, and it downloads with no message to close IE windows. It again completes, see the quick Flash movie but it still does not work. Additionally, Adobe's site to check for Flash player says I do not have the Flash player.

Nuttier than a fruit cake.

I have to add again, I have Safari loaded on this PC. Using Safari allows me to see almost every video regardless of source. Go figure.

Anyway Betty, thank you again for your detailed information and I am glad that at least you have it working, considering your demeanor and professionalism.

Regards,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2012 Jul 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Betty and Brian,

the updater seems to update the ActiveX component (Internet Explorer) and plugin (other browsers) separately.  I do not know when and why it decides to do this or that...

You can always go and download the manual installer(s) from http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.ht... - it also contains two installers: one for Internet Explorer and one for other browsers.

But if you do not have any specific problems, there is no need to go through the manual update procedure.  Just wait until the updater decides to do its job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bettyaknight@comcast.net wrote:

I'm a retired 90 year old retired Mainframe Computer Programmer ...

Dear Betty,

I'm glad I am not the only mainframe person here; sometimes I start to believe that the computer world is only made up of PCs, tablets, and mobile phones...

Cheers,

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Pat,

Thank you for your reply and I'm glad, too. This is such a dynamic field that you can't afford to go to sleep <smile>. Take good care.

Sincerely,

Betty A Knight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me for an off-topic post on this thread...

When I was a child, I fantasized about finding a genie lamp, rubbing it and receiving 3 wishes. I always felt I knew exactly what 2 of the wishes would be and I wanted to keep the 3rd one until I had time to REALLY decide. While I won't disclose my first 2 wishes on a public forum as they are personal, I've officially made my decision about my 3rd wish. I would wish that every forum post from this day forward on every forum, ever (including mine), would be with the tone and courtesy displayed by Betty A Knight.

Thank you for being en exemplary forum goer, Betty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spy Sweeper, Webroot

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:38:38 -0600

To: rhayward1952@hotmail.com

Subject: FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe Application Error

Re: FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe Application Error

created by Stephen Pohl in Installing Flash Player - View the full discussion

To the folks affected by this: Could you please post a list of the anti-virus and/or anti-spyware software that you're running on your systems? Thanks!

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Installing Flash Player by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using Malwarebytes and Microsoft security essentials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Stephen,

I am having the same problem, I am running Microsoft Security Essentials, o Windows XP with SP3, my usual browser is IE8 but do have FireFox installed to view/use certain sites.

on the advanced tab on Flash Player it says that I have  Active X version (ending in) 268 and the Plugin also ends in 268.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick update to let you know we hope to have a fix available for the Update Service crash very soon (possibly as early as tomorrow).  I'll post with additional details as soon as they are available.

Thanks for your patience.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm having same problem on XP SP3 w. McAfee Enterprise - and have read most of this thread. It seems that the Windows Service is not present. I only see a Scheduled task starting every hour as user SYSTEM. When changing updates to 'Notify only' the task disappears. Could the missing service be the problem? BTW: Will this be the end of Flash updates on unaware peoples computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Flash and installed it again from a local exe file. Now the service was registered and everything works 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, now that  11.3.300.270 is being rolled out, I just checked one of my problem machines and it has the new version, and no reports of the updater crashing so far.  I'll check a few more machines tomorrow to see if anyone else is still reporting the problem.

Thanks

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Josh, please do let us know if you encounter any problems.

For everyone else that hasn't seen the news, we've release Flash Player 11.3.300.270 specifically to address this problem (crash in FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe).  Please see this announcement posts for details and links to the installers:

8/2/2012 - Flash Player 11.3 Update

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have done the latest update as suggested (both Active X and plugin versions are 11.3.300.270), on the day of the installation everything seemed fine, however upon restarting my PC this morning I received the following error message...

Adobe_Error.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wildchild_pt, the error you described is not related to this issue.  You should probably start a new thread with your information.  This thread is about the adobe updater crashing.

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wildchild_pt - I'd recommend doing a clean install.  You've got a very old copy of Flash Player on your system.

How do I do a clean install of Flash Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information and sorry for posting in the wrong place... I only posted here because this error started happening after I upgraded to 270 update. I have followed the instructions to do a clean install and will report back if any problems do arise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chis, I think the update did fix the problem.  I have looked at several more computers and the crash reports always stop after the 270 update is installed.

Thanks

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So far so good here.  About 1 week, no crashes on either computer....woo hoo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we disable updates does that apply to the whole computer?  Or is this a per user setting?  If a per user setting, how can we make it apply to the whole computer?

Its still happening but I foget where the debug stuff goes or I'd try to send you something.  I can't find that post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2012 Jul 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KJSTech: " I foget where the debug stuff goes or I'd try to send you something. I can't find that post."

Is this it?

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/report-flash-player-crash.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I've done to disable the auto-update service enterprise wide using SCCM.

1) Push out the following C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg file to all machines with the problematic versions of Flash:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

(since we're updating Flash with SCCM, I'm not worried about turning off the Auto-Update service. Set AutoUpdateDisable=0 if you want to keep the "Notify Me to Install Updates" option turned on.)

2) It appears mearly pushing out the config change will not disable the update service, even with a restart, so push the following out as well to delete the service:

cmd /c sc config "AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc" start= disabled & cmd /c sc delete "AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc"

(I disable the service before deleting it, as in one test it threw an error if I deleted it immediately.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here too, any solution yet ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding, that we're experiencing the same issues on XP SP3 - 32 Bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines