• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has Adobe/Sys cut off 20% of its most affluent market with Flash Ver10.3?

New Here ,
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System - PC - Vista - Internet Explorer 8

US Census Data -21.05 % of the population is 55. The median maximum income occurs at age 57.  The median maximum wealth occurs at age 65. The writer holds that Version 10.3 is not accessable nor is it safe to use for the majority of video viewers in this age bracket.

Credentials - 1957 CALTECH computer lab Burroughs 110 to 1995 - Member of Select Committee investigating software problems with the Space Station IT system.

3 Examples:

1. Of the 34 unit owners (approx 50 people) only the writer and one other person have a clue about the difficulties being encountered and the security gotcha involved in upgrading to Version 10.3.
  2. Adobe Installation Instructions.  "Installation may require admistrative access to your computer which is normally provided by your IT department." Around here that's me. I just quit.
  3. 10.3 requires operation outside the Protected Mode. That's a non starter. In order to avoid endless warning messages from Microsoft - MS Malware and Virus Protection has to be turned off. - Besides the vocabulary being out of range to the layman - defeating the PC security barrier to view a video which was viewed yesterday on Ver 9.X  is unacceptable from a personal set of security standards.

Give Greybeards a chance to spend their money on your advertisers - Give us Ver 9X (I already looked - It's gone) or a FP Basic. -Don't ask us to operate in an unsecured environment.

PS My personal resolution was that it is unworkable - It has been uninstalled (less than 9 seconds.)

GreybeardIT

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I really don't have the time to reply to your article and comments, but will since other users may believe it.

Your example #1: The instructions for Uninstalling Flash Player and Installing any version remain the same. Not that difficult.

#2. Using the Administrator Account to Install Flash Player is required since the Installer writes to the Windows Registry (think Microsoft) Anyone that has a Computer sets up the Administrator Account first, so that should be no problem.

#3. You misunderstand the UAC/Protective Mode. This is a Security Feature that began with the Vista Operating System, when Microsoft released that edition. It simply means that before you Install any Software, you will receive a Security Warning from IE. You can allow or deny the installation. Websites that you trust can be entered into the Trusted Zone and you won't be bothered by any more IE Warnings. This doesn't come from Adobe or any other website, it comes from IE.

#3 b  Adobe doesn't require you to turn off your Anti-Virus/Spyware Protection except when Installing Flash Player. You don't do this until you are offline, so you have no risk. The reason for this is many Anti-Virus Programs will block the Installation of the ActiveX Control into your browser by the Flash Player Installer. Since Flash Player works thru the browsers and the ActiveX is Microsoft's Technology, then if you want Flash Player to work, you need it and don't want any AV to block the Install. After it's Installed, you turn your AV back on BEFORE connecting back to the Internet.

#3c  Technology moves forward, whether it's Adobe, Microsoft, Apple or any other Company. And when they Update, so do the Websites that use the Technology.

Now, Version 9 is still available. Many websites have moved on as I said above, so if you use that, you'll be limited. In addition, you will have lost all of the Security features that are included in most all Flash Player updates. And since you are concerned about Security, you may not want to Install that old of a version.

Hope this helps you understand Flash Player better than you did.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to comment.. The title question deals not with whether I can upgrade to 10.3 successfully - this was done 3 times in the course of getting acquainted with 10.3 .  Rather, the question addresses wether 20% of the population over 55 years of age can accomplish this.  For example would your (hypothetical) grandmother be able to understand your very clear instructions?  Would she be able to upgrade on her own?

I would very much like to receive a  workable link to Ver 9.X.  Google provides many but the several I tried led to dry holes and a redirect  to Version 10.

The six forum topics that postdate mine are germain to the topic. Food for thought

When I was young I read a couplet and thought I understood what the person who wrote it meant. Now I am a septuagenarian and I see that my youthful thoughts were  totally lacking in understanding.  Here is the epitaph of a Revolutionary War soldier named William Caldwell.

As you are now so once was I

As I am now so you must be

Best wishes for a great life

GreybeardIT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily (although not as easy as the current FP version) install FP9: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

However, many sites will not work with outdated FP versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  It is heartwarming to find it is the nature of forums to try to help others.  Thanks again. I refreshed my memory of the archieves by again downloading the now minus one version of the FP. As you pointed out it may not work with many sites.  Correct . My judgement based on a limited number of trials on business websites, is that the Latest Ver. 10.3.X includes a block to any attempt to view the video with an earlier version.

I would like to reestablish for readers (hopefully including Adobe) the essence of the original question.  Here is the flaw I am witnessing with my neighbors in in Adobe's marketing strategy.:

1. Adobe inserts ads before videos and in other places in the "viewing experience" and is rewarded by consumer clicks to Adobe ad buyers.
  2. Flashy, colorful ads display more content, appeal to many of the senses. and result in more clicks and therefore more income for Adobe,
  3. The latest version incorporates IT technology to the point that it is exceeding the ability of older consumers to learn or keep up with system administrator level knowledge in order to install and/or safely (think Active X) use the Adobe ad deliivery system.  From personal knowledge of the many PC users in this affluent consumer condo community Adobe has cut them off from viewing all videos. In fact, it is at top of the TGIF Happy Hour on the Terrace chat list.  Computer problems including warning messages, system lock and slowing to a stop, rank right after the latest organ recital.
  4. It will take time, but I predict that the actual number of consumer clicks on Adobe video ads may decrease, reduce income, and, hopefully begin a  rethink about Adobe's disconnect to the (wealthiest) 55-85 age generation

Meantime, I have the knowledge needed to block any traffic from the Adobe Server site unless I have a specific interest in connecting. Adobe Management - Are you listing? Recomend you review the last 100 titles on this Flash Player Forum

Thanks again

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greybeardIT wrote:

Adobe Management - Are you listing?

This is a user (tech) forum; if you want to address Adobe Management you will have to go through other channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't get the player to load in a useable version, at all. Trying to upgrade once again lands me at a screen showing what dialog boxes I'm likely to encounter - and a dead end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines