• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IE8 Adobe 10 will not install on Vista32bit

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to browse websites that require Flash Player 10 from adobe, when i install it says error:failed to register, what i did is uninstall-reinstall, not working, I followed all those items on here http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html nothing there worked.

I am a software engineer, so I have good knack for these things, but this adobe flash player 10 installer, even google or no known solution can help me.
I downloaded subinacl and resetfp10.cmd not working, uninstall IE8 - reinstall not working,

I installed firefox, bingo, flash10 works, try again in IE8, nope.   cleaned out all my temp files and cookies, cleaned out anything IE related. reset all security.  reset anything I could bloody find. restarted my pc about 40 times. I used system restore to go back a few months, yep the older flash player works fine.  try to install flash 10, damn same error.

I have installed filemon and regmon to try and fix the issue,  anything I should look out for?  what is this flash 10 installer getting stuck on??!

because I'm a software engineer, its a piece of cake to find things, I found this C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\install.log

I am 100% certain I will eventually find a solution, but I am very surprised that adobe does not have a solution posted yet. what about those poor people that don't have the skills that I have to try and fix this, they would have no chance..  if anyone can help, please let me know.
also I seen this guy has the same problem,  ( http://forums.adobe.com/thread/465720 ) come on adobe, come to the party on this issue....

IMPORTANT: if you suggest something already on tn_19166, I will flame you like I said, I already tried those things and 100 more.

File: wrote 240544 to "C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10b.exe"
End Main Section
Section: ""
Start Post Section
Register Player
Call: 997
CallFixDACLs
CreateDirectory: "C:\Users\Vanessa\AppData\Local\Temp" (1)
File: overwriteflag=4, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="FlashUtil10b.exe"
File: wrote 240544 to "C:\Users\Vanessa\AppData\Local\Temp\FlashUtil10b.exe"
Call: 1227
File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=0, name="C:\Users\Vanessa\AppData\Local\Temp\nslE11F.tmp\nsExec.dll"
File: wrote 6144 to "C:\Users\Vanessa\AppData\Local\Temp\nslE11F.tmp\nsExec.dll"
Delete: "C:\Users\Vanessa\AppData\Local\Temp\FlashUtil10b.exe"
Delete: DeleteFile("C:\Users\Vanessa\AppData\Local\Temp\FlashUtil10b.exe")
CreateDirectory: "C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash" (1)
End CallFixDACLs
Jump: 356
Register Player
MessageBox: 12582960,"Failed to install.
For troubleshooting tips, please see http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166"
Call: 426

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a case number Case #0181084793 has been opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2009 Aug 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem with IE 8.  I can use Flash in Firefox with no problems. This is frustrating. I too am an IT person and tried every combination of help in the Help Section document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello HamishAhern.  I also had the same problems that you are encountering with Flash Player 10.  I tried it all too.  I was so sick and tired of getting the 19166 error message for weeks on end as I tried everything to get Flash Player up and running.  Like you and many others out there, I am also dismayed by Adobe's poor response to this monumental problem.  On the advice that I received through a post on this forum, I downloaded Google Chrome (I had

never heard of Google Chrome before this).  Via Chrome, I was able to (finally) successfully install and run Flash Player.  I can only use Flash Player via the Google Chrome browser, but who cares.  It works.  At least I have Flash Player capability, after over a month without it.  Good-bye IE8; long live Google Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been begging Adobe to come up with an answer. I have two cases with them.  They have updated my case...whatever that means. I think if means they don't know HOW to help us.

Your senerio sounds exactly like mine. I, too, tried everything possible. I am using Google Chrome to get by until there is a fix. However, my earthlink email won't open things in Chrome, it only supports IE.

Let me know if anyone comes up with a fix.  dalkel2@msn.com

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kelly,

I will definitely let you know if I find something out. I am using Firefox to get around it, but there was something I was doing this morning that required IE that made me try to make it work (can't even remember what is was, but I'm sure it will come up again.)

Thanks for contacting me....I'll keep you posted.

Marie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2009 Aug 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok People, I have figured out the fix today, I am a highly qualified software engineer.   Please do not use Google or Firefox,

IE8 (with full compatibly view on, with open new window in new tab on) is soo much better

For other IT technicians,  you should always start looking at these sorts of problems with a tool called Process Monitor download from here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

with this tool you can enable just registry monitoring, and you can see the registry keys that its failing on,

Yes I am a full local administrator on my vista32bit pc,  but the developers/programmers at adobe did not program the installer correctly.

using the process monitor on install_flash_player_ax.exe I can clearly see that this registry key is failing with the message "ACCESS DENIED" Desired Access Read/Write

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}\Control

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}\Programmable
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}\ToolboxBitmap32

I am LocalAdmin, yet the permission is still denied, wtf. 

LocalAdmins: Full Control

Effective Permissions: denied Full Control, denied "Set Value", denied "Delete"  all others are ticked.   wtf.

under Advanced:

I found a "DENY" permission called "special permission this key and subkeys not inherited"   for a user called EVERYONE.

i removed the DENY EVERYONE permission on the three registry keys. (did the same for Control then Programmable then ToolboxBitmap32 registry keys)

now my effective permissions show "FULL CONTROL" for my user.

my best guess looking at other registry keys under CLSID is that the DENY permission to EVERYONE group is normal, but it was too high up the EFFECTIVE PERMISSIONS list.

I didn't restart or do anything special, I didn't close IE or nothing, i just went back to the adobe installer webpage, WAHOOO now it installed perfectly FLASH 10 on IE8 !!!

Adobe support pointed me at this new technical article which also mentions the same bug about this registry key:
except they used the SHOTGUN appproach, by mentioning all reg keys used.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19148.html

The adobe installer developers should have set the permissions on the registry key higher than the DENY EVERYONE permission before writing to it,  bad programming by adobe. yes, this is affecting thousands of users, adobe doesn't even care about it, if they did the developers would have fixed it by now.  They might fix it after reading my article here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2009 Aug 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am the person who wrote Ground Hog Day!  The only difference is that for that day only, flash will run. Then the next day I have to repeat myself. I guess because I did not write IE8, Vista32bit, etc., no one replied to me. Would you write the step by step instructions for me? I am not computer illiterate, nor am I a geek, nor IT, but have some understanding of computer software. At least I am not afraid to try.

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2009 Aug 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same damn annoying problem as you, except I'm on XP, not Vista. I tried following your instructions anyway, but it didn't help. It keeps saying 'failure to register' it's driving me insane!

I've tried searching the forums but most simply redirect to this post. Do you have any idea why it isn't working for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instructions above are accurate, and are detailed enough for you to fix the problem, if you can't understand them, then yes, you need an IT professional.  that information above is for IT professionals and people who are smart, to be able to fix their installations of adobe flash 10 on IE8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is some simple instructions:

Start Menu -> Run -> regedit -> press ok

Scroll down to each of these folders:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB70-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1171A62F-05D2-11D1-83FC-00A0C9089C5A}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{D27CDB6B-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}

For each

Right-click the key, select "Permissions"
In the Permissions Dialog click the "Advanced" button
Click "Add"
Enter "Everyone" and click "OK" to accept
Select "Full" Control

you can confirm that its working by going to the "effective permissions" tab, and put in your username, and make sure you have full control, so that the flash 10 installer can write its stuff to these registry keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2009 Aug 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, because I do not have those folders. The folder names skip from a D26 to a D28 name. And they skip from a 116 to a 118 in that series.

Marie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe tried to fix the registry settings with a script with an automated approach:  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

but I don't like their approach, because you have to download a resource kit thing which is a pain in the neck. I suggest just checking out the regedit registry settings yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres some easy self installer links I found

"official" FP downloads

Make sure that all browser windows are closed when you run the installer(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will these instructions work on Windows XP Professional computers?  If not, do you any instructions for Windows?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2009 Aug 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are downloads for Windows (XP & Vista).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2009 Oct 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The adobe software designers in there wisdom set everyone deny permission on the problem keys...  So this means NO GO for GPO deployment of flash MSI for NON-Admin users.

But here is an easy FIX:  If you are already using GPOs create a policy for your computers to modify the permissions for those keys:

Once in the GPO for your computers you need to navigate to

•      Computer Configuration
  •           Policies
  •                Windows Settings
  •                     Security Settings
  •                          Registry

Once here you need to add the following keys and just make sure that everyone is NOT in the security:

CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}

CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB70-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}

MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{D27CDB6B-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}

Once you have the EVERYONE denied permission out of those keys make sure you choose the option to "propigate inheritable permissions to all subkeys"

exit out of your GPO

Run gpupdate on your test machine

test out your GPO based software deployment (control panel, programs, install program from network)

You should now be able to deploy an updated version of the flash player without any issues to all your non-admin users

-Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So. What if you ARE the administrator and you can't install Adobe 10 on IE8. I've tried all of these fixes. None of them work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my environment I have tested this on IE7 and IE8 machines with no problems... If you are not using GPOs you will have to be an administrator to install flash, but I rec. that you first use Adobe's tool to remove activex flash. Before installing 10.

See this link:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

The method I explained is for deploying a custom MSI of Flash VIA GPO.  (I guess I hijacked this thread - sorry...)

-Dan    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that. Didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using an account with membership to administrator group or the built in administrator account?

See this to enable the built in admin account: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vist...

what errors are you seeing?

-Dan    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, I get Failure to Register errors upon download.

I've cleared out everything with the uninstall, reinstalled by hand. It works perfectly in Firefox. I've checked the registers as noted above. I am the admin. I'll check the link you sent - thank you for continuing to care!  I've been so frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2009 Oct 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I followed the adobe instructions but today I had to install flash again. I

am frustrated, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines