• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible Malware on Mac- Is Adobe Flash Player Install Manager a legitimate app?

New Here ,
May 15, 2016 May 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a macbook pro and I’m running OS 10.10. My browser is Safari 9.1.

Flash player NPAPI Plug-in version 21.0.0.242 is installed.

Flash player PPAPI Plug-in- not installed.

5/7/16- An identity protection service to which I subscribed sent a message saying my Adobe password was hacked. I changed the password.

5/15/16, 1 AM- While browsing using Safari a pop-up window appeared saying that my flash player needed to be updated. I (stupidly) clicked "OK".  The window asked if I wanted it to install MacGuard, MacSecurity and another app. I clicked "no" to each, then "continue". It then asked for my administrator password to install Flash Player. Although I didn't type in the password and I closed the window it proceeded to install some files which alerted me that something was wrong. At the end of the installation my homepage was changed to Yahoo. I ran Malwarebytes. Malewarebytes identified some suspect files which I deleted. Then I restarted my computer. 

I just noticed a file in my utilities folder named Adobe Flash Player Install Manager. It was created 5/9/2016 and was modified 5/12/2016. I don’t remember installing this app. Also, I have "Notify me to install updates" and I don't remember being notified.  Is Adobe Flash Player Install Manage (located in the Utilities folder- see below) a legitimate app or should I delete it? When I impulsively tried to delete it a few minutes ago I was asked for my admin password. Before proceeding I am hoping to get some advice from forum members. Does it belong in the Utilities folder or should I delete it using my Admin password?

Utilities folder image.jpg

Thanks very much for any assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016

Hi,

Unfortunately, it does appear you received a fake Flash Player update notification as MacGuard and MacSecurity are not third-party products offered for installation with Flash Player, and the official Flash Player installer does not modify the browser's default home page or preferred search engine.

The official Flash Player installer does have an app named Adobe Flash Player Install Manager.app in the Utilities directory, however, at this point, it's difficult, at best, to know if that file wa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unfortunately, it does appear you received a fake Flash Player update notification as MacGuard and MacSecurity are not third-party products offered for installation with Flash Player, and the official Flash Player installer does not modify the browser's default home page or preferred search engine.

The official Flash Player installer does have an app named Adobe Flash Player Install Manager.app in the Utilities directory, however, at this point, it's difficult, at best, to know if that file was created with the legitimate Flash Player installer or not.

I recommend performing a clean uninstall.  See the FAQ How to perform a "clean install" of Flash Player in Mac OS X  for guidance.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2016 Sep 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This absolutely DOES NOT WORK

Adobe Flash Player Install Manager IS A VIRUS!

Prove me otherwise Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What OS and browser are you using? Could you please specify your problem in steps so that we can help you. You could even upload a screenshot of the issue.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jo%20Ellen%20Harvey

Flash Player from an official Adobe channel is not a virus, nor does it contain any viruses.  Flash Player installed rile downloaded from some random site is not guaranteed to be an official install file and may contain viruses/malware/etc.

Please provide specific information on your issue: behavior being observed, operating system, browser, the link to the page you downloaded the installer, and any other pertinent information and we'll investigate the issue further.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is browser issue please red guide yahoo.com redirect virus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Maria. The uninstall worked perfectly and it was very easy to follow the directions for a clean install. Thanks for your time and for the clarity of your communications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines