• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The ActiveX control for Flash Player could not be registered

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we go again with a failed Flash Player install.

Runing Windows 7 64bit with IE9

Install gets to 50% and stalls with Failed to register.

I have downloaded the small install, run as Admin. Same error.

Uninstalled and Rebooted...

Downloaded the direct install, run as Admin. Same error.

Reduced IE9 Security to lowest setting. Same error.

Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled. Same error.

Run Task Manager shut down all processes (except criticals). Same error.

Ran reset_fp10.cmd through subinalc.exe. Same error. Might there be a reset_fp11.cmd?

Not sure what else to do here...Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

FINALLY I FIXED THIS PROBLEM....

it was all about permissions of Flash directory under WINDOWS folder.

1- Permissions must be set manually on

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  ( as Administrator -- right click on folder's name then launch Properties, switch SECURITY section and select your user. REMEMBER: your account must be administrator rights. check under Allow boxes there, then Apply all changes)

2-  Same process must be done also for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

3- Download latest http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_11.1.102.55_archive.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some people have found that there are multiple iexplore.exe processes running, but it sounds like you covered this.  if you did not, make sure to force quit those.  also, some IM clients and other apps can possibly load the player.  check the system tray to see if any programs are running there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

libflashplayer.so,

I made sure there were no running processes or applications except for core Windows components,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have just a few minutes before I have to leave...

Can you download & install Process Monitor, then start the installer and note the process ID.

Start Process Monitor and filter only the FP installer.  Next click INSTALL (on the FP installer) and watch it with Process Monitor.  It should show you what registry entry is blocking the installer from registering the ActiveX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ,

Other than some Name Not Found or No More File Results I do not see any true Failures in the process. Of course I have never read Process Monitor results so I may be missing something.

I will say that I can successfully install it for Firefox. But that does not do me much good since my Adobe products that depend on Flash Player (RoboHelp, Captivate, etc...) require the one for Internet Explorer. This simple install problem has brought me to a stand-still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the ProcMon output very large, or just one page?  Could you take a screenshot of that output?

I also don't know what we will get from ProcMon, but I am hoping that we can see what is causing that registration error.  (I also don't understand why the Firefox plugin [dll] can be registered, but the IE ActiveX [ocx] cannot.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very large...Over 30,000 events linked specifically to that install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to save the output, then attach it to a reply in this forum?

(I see that I have a 8.9MB limit to attached files; do you see a similar limit? Is the file larger than that? Could you possibly zip it if it is larger?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2011 Oct 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still can't get this going. I have monitored and tried all the solutions offered to others having this problem with no resolution yet. Can't figure out how to attach the log file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChipM wrote:

Can't figure out how to attach the log file.

Click on "Use advanced editor" on the upper-right corner of the forum editor.

Now click on the "Browse" button under "Attach Files" on the lower-left corner.

(I have just attached a little PDF to test attachments.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ,

Maybe I can't see the Browse option because I don't have Flash. How frustrating...Not to mention how this has screwed up the functionality of the other Adobe products I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send it to me by email?  (I'll send you my address via PM.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you; I have received your Procmon logfile.  It is indeed very long, and it may take me a while to analyze it.  (I also have just reinstalled the FP 11 ActiveX with Procmon, so I will have something to compare it with.)

If any of the Adobe engineers want to have a look at it as well, I will try to attach it to this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever used the registry editor (regedit.exe)?

I would like you to check some few things for me (do not edit anything!).

Using regedit, can you find the following key: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}

This key should exist at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID and other locations.  I am only insterested in the one at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID.

Does it exist in your registry?

Does it have any subkeys, like InprocServer32 and others?

If the InprocServer32 subkey exists, what does it contain?

Please feel free to ask if you are unsure about what to do.  (But I feel you have good technical skills, the way you handled Procmon.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is not located in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Does pop up in HKCU and HKLM though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I asked about that key is that I saw in your log several dozen times NAME NOT FOUND for that key.

In my own Procmon log I see that the Flash OCX is registered in that key, but I do not see that in your log file.

I need to look deeper into these logs, i.e. where that key is created, and where it potentially fails in your case.  Unfortunately I have not much time today.

Attaching the log file to my earlier post failed.  (The virus scanner rejected it as malware.)  I will try to forward it by email to the engineering team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woo hoo! I got it going. Thanks ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ you gave me enough hints to get it going! Ok, here is what I had to do...

1. Logon as the local administrator - this is so you will have unrestricted access to the registry.

2. Run the registry editor

3. Access the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - backup or "export" the key

4. Attempt to assign permissions to the entire key - Be sure to assign permissions to the Administrators Group not just the current administrator, include subkeys in the permission assignments. ( You may receive a message stating that permissions cannot be assigned to all subkeys or registries, this is okay)

5. Scroll down in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key specifically to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID - Now assign permission to this key specifically, include the subkeys and leave the parent permissions intact. You should not receive the subkey permission message this time.

6. Run the flash executable.

You should have a successful installation at this point.

Thanks again ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍc for the hints!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done!

To everyone trying this solution, be sure to create a System Restore Point before editing the registry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am ready to throw my computer out the window at this point. My Flashplayer worked fine until the 11 upgrade. Windows XP, Service Pack 3, 32bit, Internet Explorer. Home computer, nothing special but all that happens is it gets through 50% then says Active X can't be registered. Exact same error has here???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FINALLY got it to work by using the solution offered here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WDY73,

Glad you got your working...I had already tried that solution with no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I've the same issue since a month... everything was fine with version 10. after needed to update for V.11 i got that activex error. trying all solutions but so far I couldnt solve it.... even I gave those permissions on registry. it s not helping... what am I suppose to do? am I missing something.... any other idea?

kinda regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still collecting data from other similar reports; maybe I can come up with a general solution.

If you want to help, send me your ProcMon logfile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

here s my log file. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2478367/Logfile2.PML

I hope we can find a permanent solution for this ridicilous .... I contacted with Macromedia and also microsoft about this issue. Both of them blaming eachother but no solutions. what kind of customer care is that ))

ps: my chrome and firefox perfectly works with flash player 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the logfile; I will have a look at it when I find some time.

Actually, it is neither Microsoft's nor Adobe's fault; it is a permission issue within your Windows registry.  From the few logfiles I have analyzed so far, each user had a different problem (different registry key with insufficient permissions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines