• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Mac OS X w/Safari - Installation for Flash 10.1 doesn't work.

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2011 Jan 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased an Intel based Macbook Pro running OS X 6.6 (most current version) and using Safari.  I have downloaded and installed the recommended Flash 10.1 but it shows up as an ejectable drive.  When I test it on a website (youtube, Facebook games, etc) I am prompted to download the newest version.  I followed the Flash support guides and downloaded the uninstaller, but the window in Step 9 shows that I still have a version of Flash on the computer.  I have tried the uninstall several times and I don't know what else to try.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I may be able to help if you know your way around the Mac.

Look into the HD/Library/Internet Plug-ins/ directory and see if you have the below two files:
    Flash Player.plugin     This must be there and Enabled.
    flashplayer.xpt

From another thread:
    Here's what I have in the Library related  to the Flash Player:
    DirectorShockwave.plugin version  11.5.6r606
    Flash Player.plugin version 10.0 r45  This version number should be 10.1.102.64 (latest version)
    Flashplayer.xpt

You can also test here with your browser(s). You should be able to see the Flash logo(spin) and the version of Flash Player will be displayed. There may be an ad covering the logo, but you'll see it before it does.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked and the 2 files you listed are there but I see no option to enable them and when clicked, the computer says there is no application to run them.  I can see the Flash Player icon in the menu, but it is displayed like an ejectable drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it sounds like Flash Player is not Installed. You may want to try downloading the Uninstaller and SAVE (see Mac Info)

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html   Here you can review the Mac site for Troubleshooting also. The Uninstaller for a Mac has a different location to download to rather than the Desktop, which see there.

Then download the Installer and SAVE it (see Mac Info)

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Now if you have any problem with those links, then you can go to this site for instructions just for the Mac. Simple choose what you want to do. You want to Uninstall first, follow those instructions. Then go back and click on Install.

Now there is another way, Uninstall first, then a direct Install of FP for Mac is here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

On this latter Install link, if you don't want Google or any of the other "extras" be sure to UNcheck them and there may be more than one place to UNcheck.

Read all of this over and once you Uninstall, then choose which Install you think best.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2011 Jan 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I tried everything you listed in your reply in the exact order that you specified and that didn't work either.  I contacted Apple tech support to see if there was an issue on their end and they referred me back to you.  I see that this same problem is occurring for Windows users as well.  Is it a software problem?  I'm not willing to spend the $39 to contact your tech support when obviously it's a problem with the Flash software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, In your first post you said:

I followed the Flash support guides and downloaded the uninstaller, but the window in Step 9 shows that I still have a version of Flash on the computer.

Was this the site you were referring to?  Site: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/865/cpsid_86551.html#ostype=m,

I'll take a look at it and see if the Step 9 reveals any additional information.

Were you having a problem Uninstalling or Installing?

What version of Flash Player is displayed at the test site?

Yes, the Windows OS, Mac, Linux and the various browsers have issues and not only Flash Player related:-) By reading various forums that becomes readily apparent.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reviewed the Step 9 under "I want to Uninstall Flash Player" and find that perhaps the previous steps may not have been followed.

However, you may want to follow the instructions for "I want to learn how to download and Install Flash Player" instead. I don't read all of the Mac Troubleshooting Guide but it appears this choice to follow may better be suited. It does include information on Uninstalling.

When in your first post you said: I have downloaded and installed the recommended Flash 10.1 but it shows up as an ejectable drive. 

Where did you download and Install from and I don't know what an "ejectable drive" is. Perhaps if you'd explain that as I have never heard of Flash Player referred to as such. Flash Player is a browser plugin. Maybe you downloaded something else?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2011 Jan 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I reviewed the Step 9 under "I want to Uninstall Flash Player" and find that perhaps the previous steps may not have been followed.

However, you may want to follow the instructions for "I want to learn how to download and Install Flash Player" instead. I don't read all of the Mac Troubleshooting Guide but it appears this choice to follow may better be suited. It does include information on Uninstalling."

I followed each step specifically as this is a brand new computer and I didn't want to take any chances by messing it up.  I also followed the instructions for "I want to learn how to download and install Flash Player", which also had the same result as every other attempt.  As I posted before, I also followed the instructions for "How to uninstall Flash Player".  Everything works in the correct order with the instructions, but even though the window says Flash Player is uninstalled, the program remains on my system, along with the uninstall program. 

"When in your first post you said: I have downloaded and installed the recommended Flash 10.1 but it shows up as an ejectable drive.

Where did you download and Install from and I don't know what an "ejectable drive" is. Perhaps if you'd explain that as I have never heard of Flash Player referred to as such. Flash Player is a browser plugin. Maybe you downloaded something else?"

I downloaded and installed the correct Flash Player, from the same link that you listed above.  The reason I said "ejectable drive" is because the Flash Player and Flash Player Uninstaller programs show up on my main desktop on the right side and drives.  When either icon is selected, instead of displaying an option to "Quit", the menu displays "Eject".  When "Eject" is selected, the icon disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2011 Jan 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for explaining. I wish I knew more about the Mac or had one to see what you see:-)

I don't blame you for being careful with the directions, as this is a new computer. Since you followed the two selections on that site, then I don't know what more you can do.

Go to this test site with Safari. You should be able to see the Flash logo animate(spin) almost as soon as the site opens.

The version of Flash Player Installed will be displayed.

Now if the Flash files are Installed, but the Shockwave Flash plugin isn't you may receive a message that it is needed. Do whatever that site tells you to do. Sometimes if the plugin is detected as missing, it will be Installed from there.

Link: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/   

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was monitoring MJLJ's thread on the same issue.  Turns out that I needed to install Shockwave like he did. 

Thanks for all the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, well I was hoping you were tracking that thread also. I'm glad you have your issue solved as well. The only thing that is confusing to me is that Shockwave Player is a different program than Flash Player. Sometime users have Shockwave Player Installed for certain websites etc, but it is not needed in order for Flash Player to work.

I don't have Shockwave Player, but have no problem with Flash Player working at all. Then again, the term Shockwave is used in various ways!! That is probably due to Macromedia and then Adobe and was carried over.

Thanks for replying back and marking your thread as answered!!

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines