• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Youtube freezes on Internet Explorer 11 (Windows 7), works when Flash is disabled

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently upgraded to Internet Explorer 11 and since the upgrade, every time I visit a page on Youtube, the page will freeze for a good amount of time. I have been able to reproduce this on all of the computers in my house. However, this problem disappears when I disable the Adobe Flash add-on in IE11. I did try the new Flash Player 12 beta, but I am still having problems with the website unless Flash is disabled.

Thank you,

--Timothy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please fix Flash so that Youtube will not freeze when I load the page www.youtube.com. IE11, enhanced protected mode, win7 64 bit. Works fine when I disable Flash add-on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem with the latest Adobe Flash player and Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7.

how we can fix this without disable Adobe flash player or rolling back to IE10 ?

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IE 11 and Windows 7 x64 problems here too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IE11 Preview + v11.9.900.117 had no issues. I downgraded flash from v1.9.900.152 to v11.9.900.117 to see if this would fix it but it did not. So I know its the final release of IE11 that is somehow conflicting with the latest flash. v11.7.700.252 on the other hand didn't crash youtube IE11 tab for a bit. As an alternative to everyone here, you can just switch to HTML5 in the meantime.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

*The crash or 'freeze' is only temporarily it seems. If you leave the tab open after the freeze, it sometimes fixes itself where you can scroll again and works normally.

** Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 Support - Microsoft has released IE 11 on Windows 7 and we plan to officially support this in Flash

Player 12 (Beta although it still freezes)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've got also the same problem, 2 days ago 'i've installed the latest flash player version.

Got also freezes on the youtube webpage.

PLEASE FIX THIS ADOBE OR MICROSOFT !

info

i'm using windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.16428

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this issue so there's not much to add, win7 x64, IE11 and flash v1.9.900.152, i did try and revert to 11.7 but no luck same thing, however the none AX version of 11.9 seems to work BUT i only get 360p and 720p videos, nothing else.

I can play videos on youtube if i'm fast enough, then it doesn't freeze.

This did not happen with IE11 and the previous version so why now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still no solution to this problem ....

please Adobe of Microsoft fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, the HTML5 thing is a good workaround for now, haven't had the problem since. Thanks.

There is just one little inconvenience and that is that since using HTML5 my computer will go into idle mode if I do not move the mouse while watching a long video. This didn't happen when I was using Flash to watch Youtube videos and I don't want to adjust my PC power settings for this.

But since this only seems to be happening on Youtube (and I don't have any other problems on other sites that use Flash, like nfl.com), maybe this is more on Youtube's end and not Adobe's?

Anyhow, glad to see I'm not the only one. In fact, if you Google "Internet Explorer 11 Youtube" (without quotes) I have seen many more threads pop up across the internet regarding this issue in the last few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too.  So do many others - see here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the heads up.  We will investigate this immediately.  Could I get a couple of specific URL's on YouTube that cause this problem?  Is it happening with video from other sites too?  Finally, what types of video cards are you using (in case this is GPU dependent)?  Has anyone tried disabling Flash hardware acceleration to see if that matters?

How do I disable or enable hardware acceleration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I just tried disabling Flash hardware acceleration and YouTube is still freezing up on the homepage and any YouTube page. It's not happening for me on any other video site. I used the beta version of IE11 for months and it worked fine on YouTube, but after I upgraded to the final version YouTube hasn't worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Firefox and Chrome are fine, but Youtube freezing when using internet explorer. Is this a conflict between latest version of Flash and IE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be an interaction between IE11 (Release version) and the latest 11.9..152 version of Adobe flash.  Precisely which is the culprit is hard to tell because IE11 is causing a range of problems  (see the link I gave above).  I am referring to IE11 on W7 64bit.

It affected all the videos I attempted to load.  Indeed, generally operation failed when I began to enter some words into the YouTube box.  I never got as far as seeing the video.  I have stopped using IE11 and am back to IE10 and there are NO problems with 11.9...152.  I can't speak for others but returning to IE10 has removed the problem.

I have two W7 pcs and both experienced the same YouTube problem though they are running different hardware (the secondary system has an ATI vga card for example).

If I remember correctly video through other browsers was fine under IE11.  I can't remember now if video on other sites (than YouTube) worked under IE11.

My video card is an Nvidia GTX660 and I am using the latest nvidia driver (331.65).  Hardware is: 3770K;  Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe mobo; 32Gb ram; x4 SSDs, one used for programs and OS, two for data and one for a Photoshop Scratch Disk; GTX660 vga card, various other hardware including an 860W psu.

I didn't try disabling hardware acceleration. 

You can harvest quite a lot of info from the threads in the MS site I posted in my first post.

I have never had any trouble with Flash before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nickna!

Yes I also have an NVIDIA card (670 Sli) and latest drivers; and am also using windows 7 64bit; and also like yourself have never experienced isssues with YouTube or Flash before.

(Probably not relevant - but also operating a system based on I7 3770K and an Asus P8Z77-V Pro board with 16gbs of ram )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncannily similar hardware!

Now I am back with IE10 all is tranquil again and the latest Flash is fine.  I think we all need a revision of some sort for IE11 not workarounds.  I hope MS will rise to the occasion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris Campbell

I've got the problem only on the url: http://www.youtube.com/

I've got te problem only on the mainpage of Youtube.

I'm using a Asus EAHD5870V2, but that can't be the problem because, before i never had this problem.

I've tried to disable the Flash hardware acceleration , but that doesnt helped for me.

ps: i live in Belgium and using Internet Explorer version: 11.0.9600.16428

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often wonder why IE releases a final version when they aren't sure it's going to fully work correctly? If I act real fast on YouTube I can maneuver my way around from page to page, but if I stay on a page for more than 5 seconds it freezes up for about a minute and a half, then it's ok. For some reason once I start playing a video it doesn't freeze! Very weird. Do you think this problem is something that will be fixed soon or would it be wise to jump back to IE10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youtube.com would be a place to start. It is not dependent one A video but the site itself. I go to youtube.com it loads the flash ads and such then it freezes after 2-3 seconds in for 30ish seconds before resuming its normal usability. It seems to be trying to connect or load something which is causing the freeze. I am hoping someone here could install the debug version and possibly provide it to you. If it were happening on other sites, you would've seen threads of it by now but its mainly youtube itself as far as I can tell. GPU on my pc is AMD 5870 though I think its not the gpu case. Same effect also for enabling/disabling hardware accel.

What I can say though as I mentioned above, that IE11 Release Preview + v11.9.900.117 had no issues until the finale release of IE11 that i started showing this freeze. So it has something to do with final version of IE11 and flash that is conflicting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I highly doubt it's the GPU, given the fact that I am experienced this problem in all computers in my house, all with different video cards (Two of them have Intel, another ATI, and another NVIDIA).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found interesting is that after the first youtube tab freeze then having it resume after 30 seconds (minus the recover page option), it would refreeze again if i refresh the first youtube tab. If I open more youtube tabs through mouse 3 button those video tabs will not freeze and will play normally. Clicking on other videos thereafter on the other tabs though would freeze it though then you'd have to wait again for it to unfreeze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what happend but IE11 Final Release + 11.9.900.152/12.0.0.3 are not freezing youtube no more. Not sure if youtube changed something since I didn't get any IE11 nor flash updates...

Wondering if anyone else is seeing the same resolution.

I'm assuming the real problem in the end was Youtube itself and not the IE11/Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encouraged by your post I reinstalled IE11 with Flash152 already installed.  Miraculously, YouTube seems ok now.  Videos are playing and I can enter text into the box alright.  Strange, because I have installed no other updates at all (other than two updates to do with English grammar/spelling which I assume are part of the IE11 package, though are recorded separately in the updates history.

Worth saying here that another IE11 issue has not yet been resolved.  Still, a few crumbs of cake are better than nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here..  a bit of a mystery why it should suddenly start working. oh well, I guess best not look a gift horse in the mouth! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without making any changes to my IE11 release version or the latest flash update, my computer made an update on its own and everything is working perfectly now. Fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines