• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Breaking content across pages in a single table cell?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched for this topic as I'm sure it's been asked and answered before, but I found nothing.

I have a document that contains large lists of numeric codes. The code lists can span for many pages (20+). In Word, the content just breaks at the margin at the bottom of a page and continues at the top of the next. However, Frame isn't doing that for me. It wants to continue the table cell (and the content in it) past my margin, past my footer, and apparently past the page into who knows where (see screenshot).

I've played with everything I could think of for about 5 hours today and I'm at my limit. I just can't figure out how to break content in a single table cell across multiple pages. Attached is a screenshot of what it is doing. As you can see, the content (and table cell) are extended beyond the lower margin and even below my footer (the red line with the page number to the left).

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.screenshot1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless FM has added the feature in releases later than those I've used, you can't get a page break within a table row.

You can of course fake it by having no ruling between specific groups of rows, making them appear to be the same row.

Where is this data coming from? If a spreadsheet, and the spreadsheet knows how to break a row, another hack might be available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the data is coming from another document I'm converting from Word to Frame. It's the only source I have.
I'll try the invisible ruling trick though, that should be suitable. I'll just break up the data in groups. Unless you know of something else I can do.

Thanks for the reply.

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the original application generating the data has the ability to break rows, and save as PDF, you can export the original to PDF, then import each page as a graphical object in FM. I used to do this routinely for stuff that originated in spreadsheets. LibreOffice Calc was the most useful for providing precise control of the generated PDFs (which we converted to EPS for import, due to being on an older FM).

We had no need to be able to edit such table cells, and indeed we wanted to avoid touching the numbers at all, to reduce errors. If you need the numbers to be available for edit in FM, then import by reference isn't what you want - use ruling properties for the table, or Custom Ruling and Shading to fake it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank's Bob. That's a good solution as well, but unfortunately this data is constantly updated, so it needs to be live instead of an image.

I've used ruling/shading and while it takes a long time, it seems to do the trick.

Thanks for the reply.

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines