• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't create PDF using Frame 11

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded from Frame 8 to Frame 11, three books print to PDF just fine, one won't. Frame crashes. If I use 'Print' it gives me a log file, but 'Save as PDF' just crashes, no log file. Individual chapters won't print either. Similar to EMTtechwriter's problem, but even worse since chapters won't print. Any clues? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Standalone version of FM or full Acrobat install? Can you create PDFs via any other software? If you create a new doc based on a standard FM template, will that PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat XI Pro and Adobe FrameMaker 11. Just got a new laptop and these are the versions installed by our IT guys. All my docs PDFed just fine with FrameMaker 8, I didn't do anything to them, just opened them. I let Frame convert them to Frame 11, I made some minor edits, then tried to print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the book that fails to print, have you opened all files in the book first? Were there any errors/warning messages (hopefully you haven't turned off the warning displays in your Preferences)?

Try creating PDFs for each file separately to see if the problem can be narrowed down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open the files, close the files, edit the files - all looks fine. To strip it down to the bare bones to troubleshoot, I tried just printing one file. I select the Preface, which has no graphics, no xrefs, only two pages long, right click, select Print Selected Files, I get Internal Errors 1104, 22606148, 22606442, 25349845 and Frame quits.

Again, my 3 bigger books PDF just fine. This small one can't print at all. Nada.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just FYI - I've grabbed my old version of this book and tried to PDF it, just in case a file got corrupted somehow. That older version, too, refuses to print so I doubt it is a corrupted file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a MIF-wash of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never done a MIF-wash. A quick search on MIF indicates that I'd have to invest quite a bit of time to learn how to do it. Unless someone can point me to some instructions, I'm not likely to do a MIF-wash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy as pie:

Make a backup of your FM doc.

Open your FM doc.

Save as MIF

Close FM doc.

Open MIF version of doc.

Save MIF version as FM doc.

New FM doc has been cleaned via the process of saving it out as MIF and being turned back into a FM doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We posted over each other, Jeff. I'll try your MIFing and let you know. Based on my latest test I don't think the problem is in the docs themselves but I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm closing in on the problem. It's clearly something about the book file. I open a file NOT inside the book file - just open it from the folder so it's the only thing open in Frame, and it prints fine. I click File > New > Book, click Yes to add the file to the new book file, then I try to print and it crashes. Same file, no changes, it prints when standalone but crashes if it's inside a book file.

So... now we have a clearer picture. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A MIF-wash is the process of saving the FM file as a MIF, then opening the .mif version and re-saving it as the binary .fm file. This is quite simple, but for a book with many files it gets tedious fast.

FM11 includes a sample utility to automate this, but it isn't installed by default.

You need to copy from your FM installation [e.g. C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker11\Samples\ScriptsAndUtilities\BookMIFWash] the BookComponentMIFWash.dll to the fminit folder.

Then you need to edit the maker.ini file. In the [APIClients] section of the maker.ini file, add:

MIFwash=Standard, MIF Wash, fminit\BookComponentMIFWash.dll, all

Now when you start FM you'll have an additional Menu option when a book file is in focus:

BookMIfWash.png

Select the Book MIF Wash option to "cleanse" the book files (this will also update any old files to your current FM version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIFing made no difference. After MIF>FM same result: will print if opened alone, will not print if I create a book file with just this one file in it.

So here's another bit of info: I created a clean directory, copied a file from one of the books that printed fine, opened the file and it printed fine. Created a new book file containing only this file, tried to print it, and once again we have a crash.

So, with no connection to my "bad" book or any "bad" files, I had a crash.

Beyond strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I wish I could say exactly how I did it, but I got it to work. I made a new book file, brought in all the docs, opened them all, used Save As... and selected PDF (not 'Save As PDF' or Print > PDF), and voila.

Somewhere I must have twiddled something differently, but I have no clue what it might have been. I'd swear I did the same thing repeatedly with no success.

Thanks for the help guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your FM 11 version patched to 11.0.2? There were some Book related issues in the intitial release and these were dependent upon which FM mode (structured/unstructured) you were in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exellent suggestion! I am downloading it now. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D’oh! I should have asked if you were completely up to date in your point version at the beginning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That "d'oh" belongs to me. I should have checked for updates before I started blubbering on the forum!

Thanks for the help Jeff and Arnis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines