• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot keep Character Palette or Hex Input open

Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked a similar question about a month or two back, and I had originally thought that using Matt's trick of renaming the preferences folder had solved the issue.

I was wrong. It solved it temporarily, for the first use, and then it went back to misbehaving. I've repeated the cycle several times with the same result.

I've put in a bug for this, but I'm also curious if anyone else is having the same issue. Basically, if I open either the Hex Input or the Character Palette, the windows close themselves in about 10 seconds (maybe less, not using a stopwatch!). Since the Character Palette always opens on the Courier font, I generally don't even have time to scroll down to the font I'm using (Source Sans Pro, for the record) before the palette window closes. The Hex Input window usually closes before I finish typing in the 4-character code and doesn't insert anything when it does, even if I've managed to finish the code.

Anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin,

I do not notice this issue (FM 2019: 15.0.3.603).

The two dialogs are open as long as I do not click in the document window.

However, when I open one of the dialogs I get a message that one of my installed FrameScript scripts had to be aborted. (I have FrameScript and the i-frame package installed: http://www.i-frame.itl.info/en/feature-description/)

Still the Hex Input and the Character Palette work.

In your bug report you also list a long number of plug-ins. Maybe one of them interferes with these palettes.

Apart from that I prefer babelmap.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that the Hex Input doesn't like the keypad.  I can enter numbers only using the row of number keys across the top of my keyboard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried – it's possible they might, which is why I included the list. On the other hand, most of them have been around for literally decades, so it seems odd that they'd suddenly be having that sort of effect. Could just be that I am, as usual, "special" in some way. I'm actually wondering if it has something to do with the workspace I set up, since when I rename the preferences folder they both work until FrameMaker creates and populates a new folder.

doug1120, yes, I noticed that, too!

It's not a crippling problem, obviously, since the Windows Character Map pretty much fills the same functions (and is easier to read and you can search for characters with it), but it's annoying to have to go outside the program to do something. Still, I'm setting up variables for the glyphs I do use, so it won't remain an issue forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem sounds like one that could be fixed by a complete uninstall/reinstall.  But I'm sure you don't want to use that nuclear option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just moving my mouse makes the palette disappear. Cannot even select a symbol from the detault Courier. Using v14.0.2.425 (2017). We will upgrade to 2019 (looking forward to getting the color toolbar back) within the next couple of months and hope we do not run into the same disappearing palette situation .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to know it's not just me. I was beginning to feel entirely too special in this regard.

I have bad news for you, though. Both the Character Palatte and the Hex Input worked fine for me in the 32-bit FM2017. It wasn't until I installed the 64-bit FM2019 that I started having issues. May you have better luck than I have had!

(Sidenote: Character Map works fine, and I've also installed Klaus Daube's Insert Special Symbol tool, which is a dandy little plugin that handles FM-coded characters and Unicoded characters.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thanks for the head's up on FM2019. I appreciate the tip on using Character Map. Don't know why that did not occur to me ;-\ but that shall now be my go-to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, but be aware that I am apparently an outlier. Most people do not have this issue with any version of FM. You might not in 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UGH, I have the same issue. My teammate, however, does not have this issue.  Any resolution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I'm aware of. 

I have to say, I'm glad to know it's not just me. I have a talent for breaking things in odd ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I have this issue now. Framemaker 2019 version 15.0.5.838
I cannot seem to find a reason why.
I have done a full re-install and it is still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lin,

I have now tested on my Win 10.0.18363 64 bit the various FM versions. All (15…11) but the crippled FM-10 installation (I had severe licensing problems on W10) behave as expected.

That said: I'm not a friend of this palette - is urgly and difficult to use. I use either a variable for the most used things, then my own script ETBinsertSymbol and then Babelmap.

Trying to insert Arial, Hex 0470 (Ѱ)

FM

Insert >  Char > Char palette

Insert > Char > Hex

OK

OK

OK

OK

File > Utilities > Char Palette

File > Utilities > Hex Input

OK

OK

OK

OK

OK

OK

10.0.2.419 [1]

Dialogue does not appear

Dialogue does not appear

[1] This is a crippled installation, as I had severe licensing problems on W10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It hasn't worked for me since FM2017, and on two different machines at that (work and personal, both running Windows 10 Pro).

These days I use a combination of the Windows Character Map utility, variables, the Silicon Prairie AutoText plugin (mostly for fractions up to ³¹⁄₃₂), your ETBInsertSymbol plugin, FM escape codes and keyboard shortcuts, and memorized Alt-codes.

I agree that the FM charmap is ugly. These days I only bring it up to see if the latest update fixed the issue (so far no soap).

Edited to add: I may have to snag Babelmap. That's nice. We don't have a need for all 144,000 and honestly, Windows Character Map works quite well, but that's a nifty utility and I doubt I can resist the ooo-shiney of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with the character palette. I've been using it a lot for several weeks (math symbols for a report I'm working on). And then today, with no warning, it just started disappearing on me. I saw your bug report and hope this gets fixed eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvote it! That way Adobe has an incentive to work on it.

Meantime, Babelmap is just as useful. Or you can create variables with the glyphs you use. Or you can get Silicon Prairies Autotext plugin, that lets you set up all sorts of automations for text insertions. Or you can check out Klaus Daube's EnhancedToolbar plugin, that lets you define your own symbol insertion table. Autotext has a small cost to it, Klaus's plugin is free. He used to have a separate install file for installing just the symbol palette, but I'm not certain if it is still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Babelmap is just as useful.

More useful. Even when the FM CP & HI don't wink out, they close as soon as you do anything else, even if you drag them out of window. Babelmap can do things that neither MS CM or FM CP do.

re: Or you can create variables with the glyphs you use.

For a small number thereof (a few dozen or less), that's what I do. I suggest naming them
X Y, where
X is the U+1234 code point, and
Y is the Unicode formal name
for example:
Name: U+2116 NUMERO SIGN
Definition: \u2116

These conveniently have predictable values from project to project, and sink to the bottom of the Variables catalog.

Doing them as variables also handles the problems of your main font not populating some glyph, and anticipates eventual FM support of SMP, and allow font-mapping hacks in the meantime. For example:
Name: U+1F16D CIRCLED CC
Definition: <CC-icons>c
where <CC-icons> is a Character Format invoking a font that has the (CC) glyph at the ordinary "c" codepoint. When FM eventually gets SMP support, that can be changed to whatever notation is developed for 5-digit Unicode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem with the 2020 version of FM. The character pallet disappears after 5-6 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem, and now it's 2022! I use FrameMaker 16.4.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is now almost three years old. Has there been any word on whether it will be fixed? I don't often use the character palette, but when I need it, I need it. It disappears about 10 seconds after I open it, so I'm unable to use it. I am looking at Babelmap, but it is very frustrating that the character palette is unusable in this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still not working for me. I have resorted to using alt codes when possible. Our template man created variables for a lot of our symbols in our template so I also use that.  If I don't have an alt code or presetup variable, then I use the windows character palette. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with the Character Pallette closing after a few seconds - running FM2019 64-bit Win10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go vote for the bug!

I've moved on to using BabelMap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Win11 and I found this new feature:

Press <win> + v

Then you'll find not only the clipboard, but also characters, gifs and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to remember that when I move to Win 11, which isn't going to be until they make the taskbar movable again or I'm forced to by either IT (for the work computer) or MS (for the home computer, which will mean buying a new system, dang it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines