• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot keep Character Palette or Hex Input open

Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked a similar question about a month or two back, and I had originally thought that using Matt's trick of renaming the preferences folder had solved the issue.

I was wrong. It solved it temporarily, for the first use, and then it went back to misbehaving. I've repeated the cycle several times with the same result.

I've put in a bug for this, but I'm also curious if anyone else is having the same issue. Basically, if I open either the Hex Input or the Character Palette, the windows close themselves in about 10 seconds (maybe less, not using a stopwatch!). Since the Character Palette always opens on the Courier font, I generally don't even have time to scroll down to the font I'm using (Source Sans Pro, for the record) before the palette window closes. The Hex Input window usually closes before I finish typing in the 4-character code and doesn't insert anything when it does, even if I've managed to finish the code.

Anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

⊞v also works on Windows 10, but in my testing of it, brings up the clipboard, but not the ephemeral self-hiding FM palettes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I should have been more specific. It brings up the clipboard for me, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any updates on the situation beyond what anyone can see in Tracker: FRMAKER-6292

I can speculate, however, that a fix for the widget problems might be tied to fixing a wider Unicode problem in FM, which is a functional lack of SMP support (Tracker: FRMAKER-10976). When the Palette and/or HexIn work, they can today be used to enter Unicode (U+10000 and up) that FM can store internally, but cannot render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I think it's weird that it works for some of us but not for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LinSims: Personally, I think it's weird that it works for some of us but not for others.

It has ever been thus on Windows, eh?

The random behaviour aside, for those for whom these widgets do stay up long enough to use at least once, what is the expected behavior? Do they stay up when focus is moved off them, or do they close?

If they close, that would seem to be a whole separate issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My recollection is that, back when it was working for me, it closed as soon as you inserted a character from it. Which was also annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know what I do differently. For me this works. I can insert as many characters as I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines