Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Save As PDF or Print to Adobe PDF successfully from FrameMaker 2015

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all.

I am using FrameMaker 2015 in a Windows 7 environment.

I have attempted to save a .book file as a PDF in two ways:

1. Using the "Save as PDF" option from the File menu. Chokes. Gives me a pdfmark error.

2. Printing to the Adobe PDF printer while NOT selecting "Save to file" and NOT selecting "Generate PDF Data." Works, but does not give me a PDF Table of Contents in left navigation pane. My users expect this. If I choose and set up "Generate PDF Data," it chokes and gives me a pdfmark error.

I successfully saved some of the files from the book to PDF, but others choked and provided various pdfmark errors, with different error IDs.

Since one file choked on page 43, I deleted the content from both pages 42 and 43 and attempted to save to PDF. Same error, still occurred on page 43.

I don't want to have to recreate these chapters from scratch; one is huge. How do I identify the source of the problem within each file, and fix it?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The “Save as PDF” feature of FrameMaker and even printing to the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance from FrameMaker involves FrameMaker-specific features including use of PDFMark in the PostScript stream.

I'm moving this message to the FrameMaker forum since it is a question that is really FrameMaker specialized and not something that the Acrobat community would likely be able to assist you with.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nancy - are you fully patched up on your FM2015 version? If so, are you experiencing this issue with any other FM docs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jeff.

I just updated FM and tried again. The same problem occurred in the same ways. Yes, it has occurred with other documents, but in those cases, the solution worked of printing to PDF, NOT printing to a file, but YES generating PDF data.

In this case, the only thing that comes close to working is printing to PDF, not printing to a file, and not generating PDF data. Unfortunately, our user base expects the navigation pane on the left. We need to generate it successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the pdfmark error? Can I see it in a .mif file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supposedly it's a bug in FM2015 - here's a note from Rick Quattro over on the Frame mailing list:

The solution to the problem is to turn off
hyphenation in the Postscript text frames. Apparently, hyphenation is not
ignored in FrameMaker versions higher than 12. You can see that the error log
reports "pdf-mark" as the offending command (notice the automatic
hyphen).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took one .fm file and clicked through every paragraph format. Found four that had hyphenation turned on; turned it off and saved the file.

Saved to PDF. Same error as before occurred.

If it helps, my error log file does not have a hyphen in pdfmark. that's how it appears: pdfmark.

What's next, if you have any more ideas up your sleeve?

Thanks.

--Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the full version of Acrobat or just the “headless” version that ships with FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent – can you create PDFs in any other application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just saved a 12-page doc from Word to PDF with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm - and if you take a brand new FM doc, does it bomb too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whole thing. Acrobat Professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeff,

You suggested to check the hyphenation in PostScript text frames.

This applies only to text frames which have the PostScript option activated.

This is not relevant for regular paragraph formats.

Nancy, can you list the whole error message?

Do you have any other plugins or scripts installed?

What is your default printer?

Which Distiller job option do you use?

What happens, if you use another job option?

Some years ago another poster with this problem said that it helped to disable "Process DSC comments in the Distiller job options in the Advanced section.

Can you print to a PostScript file (with "Generate Acrobat Data" activated) and then double click on the PS file to create a PDF?

I do not know, if I understand you correctly. Do you get this error message only with a specific book?

And when you save the single files from this book as PDF, only a few of them show this error message?

What happens, if you turn the graphics display off?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines