• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

footnote in a column, not straddled

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am a beginner in FM (after InDesign), and I've got a problem.

I'm making 2 column documents with title information going across the page. I have an article with a deceased author whom I'm to mark with a dagger footnote in the bottom of the page, placed in one column, not in the wide string. The authors' names are followed with straddled strings of their affiliations and some other. What should I do to get the footnote in the required format?

Appreciate any advice

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Thank you but my aim is the opposite: to get a FN in a column regardless of whether a ref is in a spanned paragraph or in a paragraph in column.

So I placed the FN in an anchored frame in the bottom of the column (anchored in that column) and then made a cross-ref to it through the <Superscript><$paranum>. It is not due to any rules but it looks like it should be. It would be better if FM offered to do this according to the publisher logic, but I could not find this approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your problem is that the footnote is spanning both/all columns:

Right-click in the footnote, Paragraph » Paragraph Designer » Pagination.

If (•) Across All {whatever}
is set, change it to
(•) In Column
[Update Style]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Bob. It was the first thing I've checked. It works if reference to the footnote is from a one-column paragraph but when the reference is from full-width line then I see that the footnote ignores this setting and spans both columns.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've apparently never tried to footnote an Across-All-Columns paragraph in a 2-column format, but just trying it, yes the FN itself is also AAC, even thought that's not selected in the FM format. Whether this is by design, or a bug, I couldn't say.

If I had to do it, though, I'd be tempted to insert the FN in some of the 2-col text, and then have the ACC para use a cross-reference to it. You'd need to set up a Superscript character format (As-Is except super) and an Xref format for that (by para# only, Superscript ch.fmt).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was also my way to do it. Thank you. I thought I've missed something in the FM basic ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have shortened up the page for clarity, but yes, FrameMaker does some strange things with footnotes when you have mixed column layouts.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, if you don't mind your footnotes being straddled, you can straighten things out that way:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but my aim is the opposite: to get a FN in a column regardless of whether a ref is in a spanned paragraph or in a paragraph in column.

So I placed the FN in an anchored frame in the bottom of the column (anchored in that column) and then made a cross-ref to it through the <Superscript><$paranum>. It is not due to any rules but it looks like it should be. It would be better if FM offered to do this according to the publisher logic, but I could not find this approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your technique is fine.

re: It would be better if FM offered to do this according to the publisher logic, but I could not find this approach.

Not sure that will happen. People asked for EndNotes for years, and what they eventually got is basically the same hack, superscripted Xrefs by para#, and the author has to make sure the EN content paras are created in the same order as the Xrefs in the main text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI, I have created several footnote to endnote scripts for FrameMaker over the years using FrameScript. I would like eventually like to write an ExtendScript version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines