• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker Error

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im currently using FrameMaker 7.0 and im currently experiencing a issue when saving a imported graphic. A error message is displayed stating "An internal error occurred while imported graphics in this document.  The file has been saved, but has lost some image data.  Please report this error to Adobe Technical Support."  Can anyone help with this issue, thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM7 on what platform (Windows, Unix, Mac)?

What graphics file format for the problem file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2014 Aug 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This week I too have begun seeing this same error for the first time ever. I'm running FM12.0.2.389 on Win7-SP1. It seems to be triggered whenever I apply a Boolean expression to control the hide/show of conditional text. Oddly enough, all text using tags set in the expression as "NOT" to show is actually getting deleted from the FM file altogether. If I had not saved and reopened one of the "odd extension" files created when FM crashed, I would have permanently lost half the content of several critical files on the highest priority project at this client. DOH!!  I can forward files privately to someone if you want to take a look. Maybe I should add this to the Bugbase...?

Rene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you probably should – there had been issues with crashes involving conditional text in prior versions, but I thought they had been solved in FM12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff_Coatsworth wrote:

Yes, you probably should – there had been issues with crashes involving conditional text in prior versions, but I thought they had been solved in FM12

I reported it: Bug#3802835 - Applying Boolean build expression causes loss of data tagged with condition tags that ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The platform im using is Windows 7 Professional and the file format is a .PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Im currently using FrameMaker 7.0 ...

> The platform im using is Windows 7 Professional

> and the file format is a .PDF

Two major observations about that:

1. PDF import in FM7 is unstable. I use FM7.0/Windows and FM7.1/Unix, and a PDF will import, but sooner or later (often sooner) the preview/thumbnail image shown to the author collapses to a 1x1 inch grey square. Nothing can be done to fix it, short of creating a new anchored frame and reimporting, and that's of course again only temporary.

The fix is to convert the PDF to EPS (using Illustrator or Acrobat Pro), and import that instead. You can even set up a batch process in IL to convert large numbers of PDFs to EPS.

2. I'm surprised that FM7 even runs native in Win7. I would expect various random problems during FM ops, and a complete inability to reliably use the Acrobat/Distiller5 that came with FM7 (although a later version of Acrobat/Distiller, separately installed, might work, esp. if using a Print-to-Ps-and-Distill workflow). I've been building a new Win7 Pro64 PC, and plan to run FM7 in XP Mode (a virtual machine that is a complete instance of Windows XP/32, and not to be confused with Compatibility Mode).

XP Mode is a free download that is still available from MS, It's huge, and wants 200+ Windows Updates applied. You may need to have a PC that supports hardware virtualization (which might exclude many lower-end Intel chips). If your chip is AMD, there's a patch you need to install before you do anything else about XPM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Edition: 2016-05-09

I'm now doing real work in FM7.0p578 (as well as Acrobat 5.05, Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 10) in XP Mode (which is not the same thing as Compatibility Mode) on Windows 7 Professional, in 64-bit mode (on Win7; XP Mode itself is 32-bit). The apps work, but there are some further things to add to the above tips.

• As I've mentioned in other threads on this topic, you need to have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise. XP Mode won't install on Basic, Home or not-so-Premium. It's getting a bit late to buy any version of Win7, but if you have a toy Win7, you may be able to do an instant upgrade of Basic/Home/Prem to Ult or Pro.
  • If you have enabled the Administrator account, think twice about logging in to it for the XP Mode install. If you do that, XP Mode is not by default made available to all users. MS has a published hack (Setting up Windows XP mode for all users - Windows 7 Help Forums) for how to make it available by copying some stuff into \Users\All users, but it was unstable for me. Install as the user who will run it. Give them Admin rights, if temporarily, to enable that.
  • If you have a processor with hardware virtualization support, make sure it's enabled (this is a BIOS or EFI setting). Pretty much any 64-bit AMD processor you're likely to have will offer it. It may be absent (fused off) on many low-end Intel processors. XP Mode can now run without it, but it's apt to be faster with hardware VM.
  • If you have a multicore AMD processor with "Bulldozer" cores, install hotfix 2519949 before doing anything else about installing XP Mode.
  • If you are on Windows 8 or later, none of this officially works, but you can find hacks to insert at this step.
  • You need to download XP Mode, which appears to be both a VM and a complete copy of Windows XP/32. It's a large download. You might also be able to use other VMs, but how you would get a copy of XP is not known to me.
  • Turn off your antivirus during the install, and during the install of any apps inside XPM.
  • Tell your AV not to search
    C:\Users\{UserID}\Virtual Machines
    and
    C:\Users\{UserID}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC
    during scans. I saw some indication that BitDefender might have mucked with the .vhd virtual hard drive image, but the problem I saw might also have been due to not being aware of the vpc.exe shutdown issue mentioned later.
  • When first booted, the XP/32 will want to update itself, in several passes, amounting to about 200 objects. Even on a host machine with an SSD root drive, this takes a while.
  • The default config of the XP Mode only takes 512 MB of host RAM. Bump it to 1G or 2G after install.
  • The standard XP Mode only emulates 16-bit color (indexed high color). There's an MS-published but unsupported hack for bumping that to 24 bit (which I use). 32 might be possible (I haven't tried it).
  • The XP Mode window size appears to be limited to 2048x2048 max, which is a bit annoying on my spiffy new 2560 monitor. Even going above the default requires editing an obscure configuration file, and if you go above 2048, you can get into Integration Features hell, where XP Mode takes forever to start and is useless when it does. Based on some search results, you can get into IF hell for other reasons too.
  • You will need to install any fonts needed in XP. XP Mode does not use the host Win7's installed fonts.
  • If the Adobe AutoRun doesn't on the app media, drill down the appname path and run setup.exe explicitly.
  • It's probably a wise idea to turn off the networking features of XPM once everything is installed, since security updates (other than MRT) are no longer provided for XP. When choosing an anti-virus for the host Win7 OS, see what the AV vendor says about XP Mode. BitDefender, for example, says not to install BD in the VM, and that it is adequately protected by the BD running on Win7.
  • Make a backup image of all the stuff in those two file paths above, so you can easily get back to a known working XPM+apps config if needed. This will save hours of VM reinstall, XP re-install, hundreds of XP updates, and app re-installs.
  • Windows 8, presumably 8.1, and I would guess 10 also, do not support XP Mode. Whether it can be made to work anyway is not known to me. You might need a 3rd party VM, but in that case you'll need to get an XP license and install media somehow (it's a free, if huge, download with XP Mode).

In daily use, the only thing that you need to be aware of is, on shut down of the virtual XP system, be sure to allow time for process vpc.exe to exit before shutting down the host machine. You can use Task Manager to watch that and develop a feel for how long it takes on your system.

General Editorial:

The number of old but still useful apps I have, that refused to install native in Win7 (or wouldn't run if they did) was surprising. I would expect most DOS and Win/16 apps to not install/work, because the x86-64 ISA simply doesn't support 16-bit x86 modes, but no-joy on legacy Win/32 stuff is not going to work out well for Mr.Bill, esp. since the XP Mode dodge is officially a one-time Win7 thing. MS is telling us "yep, we've cut off your past, and there is no future", plus it looks like Win10 might be "free" with growing intrusion, and perhaps a surprise subscription later (i.e., time-bombed unless you pay a periodic Redmond tribute - yes, I know they are currently talking about free-forever, but it's hard to see how that's going to be sustainable). Even if I upgrade to the latest Adobe suites, they are themselves annoyingly subscription in key cases. I resent having my work output held for ransom with time bombs. I'll be bringing up some flavor of Linux on the old machine, and exploring what's available there and in open source apps for Win7 - already found a nice alternative to the HomeSite5 that Adobe abandoned and Win7 refused to install (but which does still work in XPM).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines