• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker to PDF not printing page numbers.

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2009 Sep 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When printing to PDF from FrameMaker 8, whether I print a book, a chapter, or just a few pages, page numbers on SOME PDF pages are disappearing! Never the first page; sometimes not the second; sometimes for a few pages, then not, then they print again. HELP! I can't print one page at a time on a long document. Feels as if I've return to the Stone Age--or at least very early Acrobat.

I'm using a Dell machine with the Windows XP Professional. Many thanks for any ideas.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy,

Have you applied the MS hotfix as mentioned here: http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2008/07/hotfix_for_framemaker_1.html ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Arnis, that sounded like a great idea. However, after I downloaded and ran the HotFix for Windows XP, I tried printing the book again, and FrameMaker crashed thoroughly. I sent this information to Adobe, but I know I won't get an answer from them:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Arnis,

Now FrameMaker crashes every time I try to make even a small book. And the page numbers are still randomly missing, as are some other things. Any further thoughts?

Cheers,

Cindy

Cynthia M. Shaler, Consultant

Technical Design & Editorial Services

1310 Andover Drive

Boalsburg, PA 16827-1680

cshaler@comcast.net

Ph: 814-466-7024

Cell: 814-360-2052

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy,

Did you install using an adminsitrator account and did you reboot the system?

How are you creating the PDFs - using SaveAsPDF or printing to file and distilling? Is the AdobePDF printer instance your default system printer when creating PDFs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Arnis,

Thanks for pursuing this with me. I'm not sure what you mean by installing using an administrator account; can you elucidate? I downloaded the file 349575_intl_i386_zip.exe to my FrameMaker 8 folder, double-clicked on it, and said to run it. Did I leave out something?

Yes, I rebooted. And I always use Print, to Adobe PDF. I do not create a separate Postscript file, though and then distill it.

Cheers,

Cindy

1310 Andover Drive

Boalsburg, PA 16827-1680

cshaler@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy, could you also double-check that you have installed the latest update for FM8, by checking the version and "pxxx" numbers as shown on Help > About.

The updates page is here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=22&platform=Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2009 Sep 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Sheila, I've now updated. That didn't help either. I'll respond to Arnis's latest next.

Cheers,

Cindy

1310 Andover Drive

Boalsburg, PA 16827-1680

cshaler@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy,

An administrator account is a higher privilige account on your machineand should be used for most software installations.

When you ran the hotfix download, did you then run the actual hotfix installer after the self-extractor unzipped the file, i.e. run the WindowsXP-KB952909-v2-x86-ENU.exe executable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Arnis,

I am both administrator and user because I'm the only user, so that should be fine. I load all my own software.

I re-extracted from the zip file 349575_intl_i386_zip.exe, but I do not get a file called WindowsXP-KB952909-v2-x86-ENU.exe in the same folder. Nor is it in my WINDOWS folder. I searched my entire system for that file name. Nada. Any more ideas? Remove and reinstall FrameMaker?

Cheers,

Cindy

1310 Andover Drive

Boalsburg, PA 16827-1680

cshaler@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MS Hotfixes have / need very particular installation steps; the file is undoubtedly on your system but it's been put in one of the "protected" system folders where hotfixes reside.  If I remember correctly the folders are hidden by design, and it takes a special step to make the folders "visible" to any form of searches.

If you haven't reinstalled FM yet, don't bother, that definitely won't help anything as far as applying the hotfix.

I'll look for a reference about where hotfixes live and post back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a way to list the hotfixes that have been applied to your system, so you can find whether the hotfix 952909 did install or not:

Open a Command Prompt window by typing CMD.EXE in Start, Run dialog.

Then  type the following command in the prompt:

wmic qfe list full /format:htable >C:\hotfixes.htm

Close the command Prompt window by clicking the "x"

Wait for few seconds, and then open the C:\hotfixes.htm file which contains  the list of fixes installed in your computer.

Search for "952909" to see whether the hotfix in question was in fact installed.

======

If it wasn't, you can certainly run it again, without any adverse effect -- just double-click the file you downloaded. If a dialog is displayed, note any indication of a directory name where it is unpacking the files. Go to that directory and double-click the .exe

Be sure to reboot your system after you install the hotfix, in order for it to replace the .dlls correctly.

Unfortunately I can't find a reference for where XP puts the hotfix files, but I know they're in protected directories as I mentioned earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2009 Sep 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Sheila! I will pursue this line this evening and let you know how it works.

Cheers,

Cindy

1310 Andover Drive

Boalsburg, PA 16827-1680

cshaler@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2009 Sep 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy,

If you have any standalone zip utilities (7zip, WinZip, etc.), you can point them at the MS download and extract the file to any location that you want. This will then let you manually control the entire installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2009 Sep 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Arnis and Sheila,

The file isn't in the hotfixes.htm document. I will try downloading the whole thing again and reinstalling. And I will use WinZip; good idea!

Meanwhile, I am transporting my FrameMaker files to my laptop on a memory stick and making the PDFs there, then transporting them back. Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner.

Cheers,

Cindy

1310 Andover Drive

Boalsburg, PA 16827-1680

cshaler@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines